Red Crow and the Ghost Ship

shimauta

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody here has seen "Red Crow and the Ghost Ship". I was browsing through a used video bin the other day at my local video shop and came across this and was wondering if it is worth picking up. On the back of the video it mentioned that the creature shop designed and performed the red crow and that Hayao Miyazaki designed the ghost ship. Probably a pretty rare video outside of Japan but I imagine that since the creature shop had a hand in it someone here may have seen it. Any thoughts?

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
Well I can tell you this much, if you put the title of the movie into google, this thread that you just created on Muppet Central comes it at #2 on the rankings... there is absolutely no information on this whatsoever, so if nothing else its extremely rare...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seriously... The Henson company working with Miyazaki to ANY extent should be HUGE. Sigh... another great thing that's destined to never come out over here.

That in mind, I wonder what would happen if someone typed in the actual Japanese title (Kanji or whatever and all) to a search engine. Sometimes I do that and find a LOT of stuff you can't find in English. Though, i kinda have to go to wikipedia or something to get said Japanese language titles.

shimauta

Reaction score
Cool, well I think I will go pick it up today. It was a pretty old vhs copy but still sounds interesting. I noticed that the Creature Shop has it listed on their home page: http://www.creatureshop.com/productions_tv.php but other than that not much information seems to be available.

shimauta

Reaction score
Well I picked up the vhs copy. Might be a bit before I can watch it as I don't have a vhs video player anymore. I have a friend though that should be able to help me transfer it to a dvd. After I watch it I will let you know how it is if anyone is interested. Even though Miyazaki only designed the ghost ship it looks like it should be a fun movie. I saw Ghibli's latest movie "The Borrower Arrietty" not too long ago and have been in a Ghibli mood ever since.

shimauta

Reaction score
Finally was able to watch the video tonight. It wasn't anything too amazing but it was fun to watch. The show focuses on a little boy and his younger sister and their adventures with the red crow and the ghost ship. It was a bit short but also included a 30 minute making of documentary. I enjoyed watching the documentary as it showed the process of creating the red crow at the creature shop in London as well as when they came to Japan to perform the crow. It also showed a lot of the original artwork for the ghost ship done by Miyazaki.

shimauta

Reaction score
Doesn't look like many people are interested in this creature shop project, but I thought some screen shots would be interesting anyway:
1 Title
2 The red crow
3 Red crow and the main human character
4 Ghost ship designed by Hayao Miyazaki
5 Picture from the making of special at the creature shop in London.

shimauta

Reaction score
Does anyone know the process of adding subtitles to video? I thought it would be fun to throw on my own English translation of this movie.

Ultragorgon

Reaction score
Shimauta, I'm very interested in "Red Crow and Ghost Ship" and I've started a private conversation with you about it.

If anyone else has any additional information about this film or a copy of it, or knows where to obtain a copy of it, feel free to contact me.