Fraggle VCD's

Luke

Reaction score
Cory,

I think thats WAY over the top and you've been having one of those 3am posting crazes again :eek: . If the whole message of FR was to spread the word by passing on illegally pirated DVD's and thus let the whole world view the production for free, without the company or performers making zip outa it ......... well man, i think Jim Henson and his merry band of puppeteers would see it slightly different. Especially as JHC and their lawyers have been quick to jump on this kinda thing and even in Jim's day were hot on anything that might infringe their trademarks.

You talk like you and other people have a right to see this stuff - fact is you don't. Fraggle Rock (in the business sense) is a childrens TV show property like any other one, it might be special to it's fans in a different way but just because there are a few Henson quotes saying how it was supposed to bring about world peace it doesn't automatically make it free for ripping off. Bottom line, the Henson Company is a business and making money is more important than ever right now, nobody has a right to openly rip off their product and i don't care how well it's done. I'm glad you are against people profiting - and i agree with you that if it's done on a personal basis, like copying a commercially available purchased video copy or an off air TV broadcast and then passing it onto a friend for free then sure, thats not so bad and the legalities on that aren't so set in stone, but people hawking stuff on Ebay (i'm sure you'll agree) is WAY OFF !

Fraggle Rock DVD's are coming, at least in some manner, if people want them they should support Warricks petition, and also make sure they buy the product when it comes out. The official stuff will be much better and well worth the wait. If people buy ripped off DVD or VCD copies the quality will never be as good as the master and it can give a bad reflection on the show.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not unlike Time-Life's Muppet Show videos which were initially released on six volumes, the key to getting more Fraggle DVD's is to buy the first few discs that are released. This is even more important with Fraggle because some merchants are skeptical of how well these will sell.

By the way before someone asks, no "official" announcement has yet been made but it's expected we will see some kind of Fraggle DVD release in the next eight-eighteen months.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
I mean whats the point of making a show like Fraggle Rock if only a few kids with rich suburbanite parents in the Reagan era got to see it?
Maybe that was the audience they wanted to reach the most. Think about it. This is just my observation, but it seems that such households are often filled with spoiled brats who need such lessons taught to them so they'll mind their manners. Especially with such subject matter as episode #9.

Besides, CBC isn't a pay channel, so not all suburbanites got to see it.

getup

Reaction score
i sense a little bit of hostility in this forum. sheesh. i was just expressing an opinion of mine about the mpegs i made. and i know wallyatch feels the same. he encoded the other ones. at least it serves for good discussion in here. that's what this place is for. nothing will top the real thing. if a dvd is ever made, i will be all over that. i even sprung for the french dvds just for the **** of it, because of what it is. i'm all about supporting fraggle rock in everyway. but i mean, making these vcds and making them and selling them are two different things. i've made the vcds to see what they look like, and they look like dog crap. the avis are comressed files...in order to be vcd compliant they have to be uncompressed mpeg-1...this is going to decrease the quality even more. that can lessen the enjoyment of the show for one thing. i don't know...it's just how i feel.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah but you do sell Fraggle DVD Rips for profit on Ebay don't you Getup ? I think we've passed the topic of talking about where people have got the episodes and what they look like on a VCD, i think the general conclusion is DVD/VCD - eitherway it's just wrong to rip off someone elses product for profit right out there in front of peoples noses. I'm sure you have a great love of the show, and what you do in your own personal life is upto you but i don't see a place for it on the forum and site which is supposed to support the work of the Henson Company.

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
I have to agree with Luke here. I mean, it's not your work, so what gives you the right to make a profit off it? As well, you're upset about other people selling your vcds/dvds/whatever, but really what's the difference? How are they any more guilty than you?

Okay yes, I have downloaded about 3 episodes off of Kazaa, but I don't see a problem with that. No one's making any money, we're just sharing our Fraggley love. And once the english dvds (yes, once, not if... cuz they will, dagnabbit!) come out, I'm so going to buy them.

Personally I would never buy any Fraggle Rock vcd or dvd unless it came from the Jim Henson Company.

^_^ Debo

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke

I think thats WAY over the top and you've been having one of those 3am posting crazes again :eek: .

You talk like you and other people have a right to see this stuff
1) Thank goodness for 3am postings, its when I have the most clarity and speaketh from the heart.

2) So what, only people(not including canadians who got it for free) spoiled enough to have had HBO in the 80's have a right to see it? Get off your business media legality trip and be a real Muppet fan for once kiddo. I obviously said I hated how people WERE MAKING A PROFIT. I sai dI encouraged people to see out episodes for free. There is no argument with ya, I feel strongly Fraggle episodes should be seen by one and all.

3) Luckily there is I believe a Fraggle dvd coming within the calendar year of 2003. I do NOT believe in pirating stuff thats commercially available(ie: TMS, TMM, MTM, etc) but I mean if its obscure and or will never be seen on tv again...whats the harm?

Originally posted by Boober_Baby
No one's making any money, we're just sharing our Fraggley love. And once the english dvds (yes, once, not if... cuz they will, dagnabbit!) come out, I'm so going to buy them.

Personally I would never buy any Fraggle Rock vcd or dvd unless it came from the Jim Henson Company.
Best two paragraphs Ive read in this thread!

AndyL

Reaction score
Re: fraggle vcds

Getup Said :
i almost regret capping those episodes that i did.
I'm glad you did! Now that odyssey is gone #DigitalDistractions and #TheMuppetArchive has been my only source of fraggles!

I'm still planning on buying any DVDs as soon as they become availalble, but the #DigitalDistractions rips have kept me sane until then.

Thank you! Thank you very much.

getup

Reaction score
you're welcome...there will actually be more coming soon, but i might have to think twice about that.

timgrossklaus

Reaction score
Re: Re: fraggle vcds

Originally posted by AndyL
I'm glad you did! Now that odyssey is gone #DigitalDistractions and #TheMuppetArchive has been my only source of fraggles!

I'm still planning on buying any DVDs as soon as they become availalble, but the #DigitalDistractions rips have kept me sane until then.
Can you explain to me what #DigitalDistractions and #TheMuppetArchive are and how to access them?

Thanks.