star trek

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Enterprise can never get better because of Berman/Braga's reckless disregard for Trek these days. All of the deliberate screwing up of known Trek history renders this series irrelevant (so the Russians met the Vulcans in 1957 and Zephram Cochrane means nothing?). When they're not screwing up Trek history, they're retreading stories we've seen a thousand times (oooh, a pregnant man...again). Scott Bakula does the best he can with the weak scripts, but...
Actually, you are soooo very wrong in the above statments. The Vulcans DIDN'T meet the Russians in that episode. The Russians weren't even involved in the episode in any way! The humans in the episode never even found out that the Vulcans were aliens, their ears were covered up. So, technically, the first time a human met a Vulcan, and new it, was with Zephram Cochrane. And, if you're going to bash Enterprise about this fact, why not bash the original series along with it. When Kirk and Spock went searching for Bones in the 1930s. That would technically be the first meeting between a Vulcan and a human, wouldn't it? I'm not trying to start an arguement here, but I really like Enterprise, and they're not ruining the timeline in any way they haven't already done so in previous series.

Super Scooter: You mentioned Far Beyond the Stars. Is that the one where Sisko imagines himself as a science fiction writer in the 1950s? I really want to see that one.

Yup. That's the one. It's actually not... well, I won't spoil it for you in case you ever get to see it. Let's just say your description of the episode isn't entirely true. I won't say anything else. Might ruin the episode.

:zany:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
enterprise, just like ther other trek shows, can't find its footing in the first 2 seasons alone. it takes time for any series, startrek or not, to find its footing and to start getting the audience it needs. there have been some really good episodes from enterprise like dear doctor, the communicator, etc. to where they make enterprise worth watching. however, i think enterprise should be a much more scarier place since they are the first humans out in space and have no idea what type of aliens there are out there. more than likely the on going temporal cold war will probably start being the highlight of enterprise, which is fine......anyways, i'm going to keep watching enterprise to see what happens...hopefully they'll do more with characters like travis, phlox, and some of the others...

ryan

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Whoo! Guess I touched a chord here.

Scarecroe:

"Unfortunately though, because the show's ratings have dropped slightly and fan reactions have been so cruel, I heard that B&B intend on changing the show's direction, which is really too bad. They needn't listen to fan reactions so much since the most vocal are obviously going to be the ones who don't like it"

On the contrary. B & B aren't about listening to fan reactions. In fact, they've flagrantly insulted and bashed the fans at every opportunity. They only say they're going to make changes now that their jobs are slightly threatened.

And since when it is "cruel" to criticize some aspect of something you love? To go by that logic, every Muppet fan on here should be saying that MFS is the greatest film ever made and that every Muppet project should be more like Muppet Classic Theater. It's OK to have a healthy criticism of something that you (overall) like.

Scott, my friend, you have excellent taste overall. I just have to disagree with you here. :smile:

Super Scooter: OK, I heard differently about that episode then. What you're saying happened in the episode isn't that outrageous. One of the B's bragged to TV Guide at the beginning of the season that they were rewriting the "first contact" thing with that episode. Hence my rage. You're right that it doesn't interfere with "first contact" if the aliens are disguised, or if their true identity is hidden. Some of the best Treks have been like that (City on the Edge of Forever; Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home; TNG's Time's Arrow; and -- from what I've heard -- DS9's Little Green Men).

Ryan: I agree that most Trek series find their way about midlife. But why do they get such special privileges? I can't tell you how many brilliant shows I've loved that have been killed after one or two seasons just because they didn't have the name "Star Trek" attached.

OK, I'm done ranting for now. :wink: I'm glad all of you are able to enjoy Enterprise, and I'm not trying to take that from you. I just feel that Trek could be so much better.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I agree that most Trek series find their way about midlife. But why do they get such special privileges? I can't tell you how many brilliant shows I've loved that have been killed after one or two seasons just because they didn't have the name "Star Trek" attached.

you're right, a lot of good shows have been canceled just because they are not star trek. ever see or hear of sports night that was created by the guy that created the west wing? good show that lasted 2 seasons. but ya, enterprise does need some more spice to it so it can be better. there is need of improvement for enterprise.

ryan

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Okay, here are my highly opinionated opinions of the Star Trek series...

Star Trek (TOS): Boring hippie drivel. Just seemed like one big political/worldview vehicle for Roddenberry. The best part was that Captain Kirk was played by such a bad actor. I... liked... each... word... deliberate... during... dramatic... times...
You could also see what a womanizer Roddie was by the way he treated them so sexually (miniskirts, flavor of the month Kirk chicks)

Star Trek TNG : The most endearing series. Certainly Data is the king of the show. You can see a comraderie in the cast unlike any other series. It was the Star Trek series to come home to.

DS9: (un)Affectionately known as Deep Space 90210 because of it's soap opera flavor. Unlike soap operas, however, you had to watch six episodes before you understood what was going on and then it was sketchy at best. Even Warf couldn't help it.

Voyager: Looked so promising with a more rag tag feel to it. But the maquis blended in so quickly and effortlessly, you'da never known they were enemies. And then it slowly developed some ghosty X-phily flavor that lost me even before 7 o' 9 came along.

Enterprise: Burnt out on V-ger. Never bothered to watch.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
although i kept on watching voyager, the show got bad during the 4th year.

deep space nine was kind of like watching a soap opera kind of because it took place on a space station and not on a starship. i still think ds9 is the best trek show. it was dark and edgy, and not like the other trek shows. it was more "real" than the other shows...

ryan

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by CaptCrouton

Star Trek (TOS): Boring hippie drivel. Just seemed like one big political/worldview vehicle for Roddenberry. The best part was that Captain Kirk was played by such a bad actor. I... liked... each... word... deliberate... during... dramatic... times...

There's a very good reason for William Shatner's "bad acting", as it were. Often times on the show, the actors didn't recieve complete scripts. William Shatner quite often had to make things up as he went. Yeah, he's not the greatest actor in the world, but he's not the worst.

Is this the part where we get to start bashing Will Smith?

Deep Space Nine, in my opinion, was the best Star Trek series. The Next Generation was very good as well, but DS9 was the best.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
a lot of people like to make fun of william shatner for his acting and try to do impressions of him all the time...but oh well

so you don't like will smith huh...he's pretty cool i think..

ryan

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Will Smith's okay, but, he's really not any greater than William Shatner, now is he? I don't know. I've never seen Ali, so, I guess I can't judge his performance too much on what I have seen. I think the only thing that bugs me about him is that he plays the same exact character over and over and over...

I enjoy doing William Shatner impersonations, and I hope when I do it it seems more of a compliment than anything else.

When my borhter tries doing it, he totally over does it. Becomes one of the typical Willam Shatner impersonaters.

Ever see Jason Alexander do William Shatner? He's really good at it.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i've seen some people from saturday night live do william shatner from time to time...funny stuff...

oh and on animaniacs, they have william shatner on there for like part of the show and yakko, wakko, and dot are trying to get him off stage so they can do an act. but they can't because the next guest is mr. spock!......great stuff

ryan