The high and the lows?

Knucklehead

Reaction score
I was just checking out "how to make patterns" from the playsoup production video. There is something I feel that is really glossed over in the video about creating seams, Dave say's you should place your seams on your sculpt where ever there is a high and a low on your shape and then he just starts drawing seems, to me it seems so random? But I am a knucklehead! Any toughts?

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I'd love to chime in with some helpful tips but I do not yet own those videos. I've heard they're quite good but haven't gotten around to them just yet. Hopefully someone here that has will have something to offer. Best of luck!

practicecactus

Reaction score
I guess because the extremes of the highs and lows are where there'll be an edge to make the 3D form, that's where your seams for material go. If you imagine the flatest areas of a 3D sculpt, the place where you're going to have joins is where the generally flat surface changes direction. A human face for example, would have seams along the temples, brow, down the center of the nose, two triangular pieces for the sides of the nose, etc.
For very round shapes, curved seams don't look angular and hide the seam better.
Hope that makes sense.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
We have these videos at work, and I watched them awhile back with a group of puppet builders. They are very good, although our criticism of them was that Dave tends to gloss over things like this sometimes and doesn't always offer an in-depth explanation of every technique he's using.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I keep talking about doing a video about how to pattern. There are definitely ways that are teachable to do it -- I learned by watching that old TLC show "Trading Spaces." I use a technique that's based on the way they reupholster couches.