Cars 2

Mupp

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, Cars actually felt like it was not so much about racing, but that there are more important things in life than winning and stuff like that. Lightning didn't grow as a character until he moved away FROM racing and met all the Radiator Springs locals. The journey is half the fun, and speed is just another word for impatience. So, I'm wondering what else this movie will offer besides racing and spies... I might just see this yet.
Good to hear.

And that message in Cars is exactly what I was trying to explain in another thread a few months ago.

These days it pays to be optimistic about both Disney and Pixar animation.

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
I liked Cars, even if I did go see it with an obnoxious (now ex-) boyfriend who kind of stained memories of the movie with his grimy fingerprints.

It's hard to believe I originally hated the thought of a Toy Story 3 because Pixar was basically forced into making the film or else Disney would have made some 2-D movie on their own about Buzz getting recalled (or so I've read), so I figured they'd just slap something together carelessly to say "There, we made it! Ya happy now?". After seeing how beautifully done TS3 was, I think Pixar can successfully make quality sequels for their movies. Nothing like the direct-to-DVD ones that get pumped out just to milk a certain character or franchise dry.

I really don't think Cars is the kind of movie that could be ruined by a sequel, anyway. I feel the same about The Incredibles. In fact, I'd love an Incredibles sequel. The way those movies ended made me feel like their was more adventure to be had. I'm actually dreading the Monsters, Inc. sequel, though. The ending of that movie left me feeling satisfied, though I like bittersweet stuff like that. I'm worried a sequel will ruin that feeling for me. And I have the feeling they'll do something like have Mike and Sully running wild in our world this time around.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's hard to believe I originally hated the thought of a Toy Story 3 because Pixar was basically forced into making the film or else Disney would have made some 2-D movie on their own about Buzz getting recalled (or so I've read), so I figured they'd just slap something together carelessly to say "There, we made it! Ya happy now?". After seeing how beautifully done TS3 was, I think Pixar can successfully make quality sequels for their movies. Nothing like the direct-to-DVD ones that get pumped out just to milk a certain character or franchise dry.

I really don't think Cars is the kind of movie that could be ruined by a sequel, anyway. I feel the same about The Incredibles. In fact, I'd love an Incredibles sequel. The way those movies ended made me feel like their was more adventure to be had. I'm actually dreading the Monsters, Inc. sequel, though. The ending of that movie left me feeling satisfied, though I like bittersweet stuff like that. I'm worried a sequel will ruin that feeling for me. And I have the feeling they'll do something like have Mike and Sully running wild in our world this time around.

I've said this before... Toy Story 2 came about because Disney wanted to make a DTV sequel to Toy Story, but the Pixar Crew did such a superlative job, they released it theatrically. Toy Story 3 came out of the notion that Pixar was leaving Disney at the time... Cars was to be their LAST movie, hence the drive in sequence at the end with Car'd versions of all their other movies. The TS characters were in Disney's ownership, and they threatened to do one themselves (probably DTV) with a different CGI company. The recalled Buzz plot line was their intent, and there were some VERY stupid characters they met along the way. Somehow, it was almost as if they were going to make a BAD Brave Little Toaster knockoff. Disney came to its senses, they dumped Eisner and they BOUGHT Pixar and put them in charge of the animation department. Pixar's TS3 I still think as a "challenge accepted!" move. They poured their heart and souls into a dramatic storyline full of character development. Something Recalled Buzz wouldn't have had.

Monsters Inc 2 I'm really looking forward to, much more than this film (I've decided to see it anyway and give it a shot). But I am on the fence about the idea. I think the story was sequeled quite wonderfully in the 4 part Boom comics series... Waternoose escapes from Jail (I'm sure he does, actually... I need to reread it) and starts a conspiracy with Randal and a human child (presumably Sid from Toy Story, or a relation there of) to get rid of Sully and Mike and regain the company. The comic actually manages to tie up the Monsters Inc movie to Toy Story in pretty subtle and clever ways... Mike even mentioning Boo's Jessie doll and saying how those are rare collectibles. I highly recommend tracking them or the TPB down.

However, they're hush hush on any sort of plot. I think they can pull it off, and I have faith in them for this film. But I'm wondering what angle they could play. I'm thinking some sort of thin environmental angle about what screams or laughs actually do to the monster world.

Disney

Reaction score
Cast

Hey, so what do you guys think of the new voice cast for Cars 2? This includes Michael Caine and John Turturro (to name a few). :smile:

Mupp

Reaction score
Hey, so what do you guys think of the new voice cast for Cars 2? This includes Michael Caine and John Turturro (to name a few). :smile:
I think its really cool that Michael Caine is doing a voice.

Do you happen to know if the Doc Hudson character will be in Cars 2?

Disney

Reaction score
Do you happen to know if the Doc Hudson character will be in Cars 2?
I don't know the answer, but I'll see if I can find out for you. Originally his character was written into the script, but it might be tough to find a replacement for Paul Newman. Let me see what I can find out, and I'll get back to you.

Have you seen this article on Collider about the new characters in Cars 2? Which new character are you most excited about?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that he was to be played by Corey Burton, who performed his voice in one of the video games.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hmm...guys, I know the "secret spies" angle seems a little wild and out there after the first movie...but might I direct your attention to The Great Muppet Caper...the concept for which people must have found strange after The Muppet Movie. Also, look at how Toy Story one is a darker adventure, while Toy Story 2 has the same characters on a more children friendly cowboy adventure and Toy Story 3 is a prison movie parody. I like that they've decided to use the same characters but to mix the whole thing up a bit.

beau

Reaction score
Hmm...guys, I know the "secret spies" angle seems a little wild and out there after the first movie...but might I direct your attention to The Great Muppet Caper...the concept for which people must have found strange after The Muppet Movie. Also, look at how Toy Story one is a darker adventure, while Toy Story 2 has the same characters on a more children friendly cowboy adventure and Toy Story 3 is a prison movie parody. I like that they've decided to use the same characters but to mix the whole thing up a bit.
*applauds*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, there's also the fact that that TERRIBLE F-Zero cartoon series left a BAD taste in my mouth about espionage racing. Really... BLEECH!