Bad, terrible and downright lousy Christmas Specials...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's face it, for every Rudolph and Charlie Brown Christmas, there are about a hundred unmemorable or even unwatchable specials. I wanna hear some BAD ones.

Now, we ALL know the Star Wars one, so mentioning that one would be redundant. This is strictly a fact finding mission.

Lemme start the ball rolling...

We Wish you a Turtle Christmas

Trust me, I spared you from posting the entire thing... if you're hearty enough, I think it's linked on the sides of that one in related... but trust me... if you don't get enjoyment of seeing childhood favorites debase themselves in a weak attempt to get money, don't ever watch it... not even on a bet. I tried, but I couldn't even get through the whole thing.

Here are some lowlights...

After singing a bunch of terrible public domain Christmas music with annoying generic 1980's Turtle references forced in (obviously Pizzas and Cowabungas), Raph figures out NONE of the Turtles got Splinter a gift, causing them to go shopping last minute.

Mikey turns into "That Opera Guy" after looking at a decorated tree and sings a terrible song about it to the tune of "Little Town of Bethlehem"

So the Turtles get to their destination, a purple bed sheet hanging on a wall with Christmas tree lights stapled to it, presumably representing a store... and these are the gift options..

THEIR Archie published comics

Sneakers

A Skateboard

6 Yellow Yo-Yos (though Raph is CLEARLY only holding 5)

and finally, their pick a plastic pizza in a wood frame that OH so just happens to be there.

They sing MORE stupid songs they think 10 year olds will like

Uh

And then Splinter starts singing a version of 12 Days of Christmas they thing 10 year olds will like (everything's either pizzas or skateboards)...

and I stopped watching after that.

beau

Reaction score
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

Yet, Cartoon Network just HAS TO AIR IT EVERY SINGLE YEAR...

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Let's see. Bad Christmas specials...bad Christmas specials...

How about that Miser Brothers' Christmas that ABC Family came out with last year. It was a rather pitiful attempt to recapture the magic of Rankin/Bass. It was just loaded with schmaltz.

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

Yet, Cartoon Network just HAS TO AIR IT EVERY SINGLE YEAR...
That just happens to be on TV right now. My brother quickly changed the channel. :stick_out_tongue:

I don't experience bad specials often since every year I watch the same old VHS tape with all the specials I watched during the 90's. The tape's not long for this world, I'm afraid, and half of these specials I don't think get aired anymore.

And funny that the TMNT Christmas nightmare got mentioned. I didn't even know of its existence until the other night when I watched an Angry Video Game Nerd review of it.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
come on we wish you a turtle christmas is a classic..i own it on vhs...hey i even went to Coming out of our shells tour as a kid

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Ha-ha, I discovered We Wish You a Turtle Christmas this year. I give it credit for actually being filmed in NYC but other than that I find it amazing this actually got a commercial VHS release and was furthermore made with the creator's consent. I hope someone uploads the other live-action TMNT sing-along video one of these days, I'd love to see that one, too.

In terms of other bad Christmas specials, I'll bend the rules a little bit and bring up Rover Dangerfield. In fact, I'll just let the Nostalgia Critic tell you about it: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...sses/nostalgia-critic/29004-rover-dangerfield

And then take a gander at the Island of Misfit Christmas Specials. Not all these specials are bad, but this does have some stinky ones in there, some that have been mentioned already: http://www.platypuscomix.net/hollywood/misfitsindex.html

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
bad!....Mmmmm...Shrek The Halls, but then again i hate shrek and dreamworks animation pritty much ran it into the ground anyways!
:scary:

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I know I may get a lot of boos for this, but I hate Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and have since I was young. Just because it's so darn mean-spirited (every other person in it, who isn't annoyingly bland [:cough:Clarice:cough], is a jerk, including, but not limited to Rudolph's father, the Head Elf [who I swear had no indoor voice], the coach, even Santa Claus!). And speaking as a person who has never quite fit in with my peers (not by having a glimmering red nose, of course, but in other ways), the resolution always felt like a slap in my face. So what, you can pick on the weirdo until they benefit you? That's like a teacher telling his/her students to be nice to the nerd just because s/he can help them with their homework! Thanks, but I'll stick with A Christmas Story!

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'll stick with A Christmas Story!
I may get flak for this but that one's on my bad list. I hate it. No sugercoating I downright hate it. I don't think it's funny at all.

Also, while they're not downright terrible, I just have a bit of a problem with not one but two Flintstones Christmas specials.

The first one has Fred filling in for Santa Claus. Think about that for a second. It's bad enough they're celebrating Christmas some 10 million years before Christ was born, but Santa is around and already the old man we know.

The other one is A Flintstones Christmas Carol. This one may have been forgivable if it had been a non-cannon special. Just a telling of A Christmas Carol using Flintstones characters. (like Micky's Christmas Carol) But no the plot is that they are putting on a theater production of A Christmas Carol. Again millions of years before the birth of Christ.

And for the record I'm not even a religious person!