Celebrating Caroll Spinney

Yorick

Reaction score
I very much appreciate Muppet Central Celebrating Caroll Spinney on the front page today!

Even though Mr. Spinney wasn't a Muppet Show regular, I still totally consider him one of the gang, because he is! And he's such a fantastic talent!

Who knows which areas of the Henson world he'd have taken part in if he knew Jim had invited him to come over to the headquarters the first time they met? Luckily they met again, and this time Caroll asked Jim if he could elaborate, so then Jim said he'd like Caroll to work with him. The rest, as they say, is history!

The movie "Follow That Bird" is one of the best things, I'd say...between Oscar's:grouchy: opening song, and Big Bird's starring role...wonderful film, and a great showing of Mr. Spinney's talent!

Anyone have any other favorite Caroll Spinney moments?

I know we all do, since the man has been working his magic on Sesame Street since the beginning, and for that I'm very grateful.

If he chose to retire, I'd be very happy for him too, but if he wants to keep up the great work, I say 'the more the merrier'! And thankfully Caroll said he'll keep doing this as long as he can hold Big Bird's head up!:wisdom:

BRAVO to Mr. Spinney, and a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Thanks for all the great times! I hope you had a wonderful day today! :smile: You've sure given the world many of those with your art!

zns

Reaction score
He is the Jim Henson of Sesame Street. Caroll is one of the finest puppeteers in the history of the Muppets and has kept the legacy alive for many generations of children and adults alike. Big Bird and Oscar will always be a part of Sesame Street for as long as children continue to watch, laugh, and learn for years on. God bless this wonderful and talented man. :wisdom::grouchy:

Yorick

Reaction score
Well said, zns! :wisdom::grouchy: Right on! :smile:
Thank you for this thoughtful reply.

Sesamo2012

Reaction score
What a great Man

I have to Admit that mr Spinny was a man with many talents and was good at what he did, he also played in roles in movies as well, he was in the movie called the Final comedown were he played a freedom fighter with Billy dee Willaims, but he is the best, and good actor and performer. :wisdom::grouchy:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Mr. Spinney was a featured guest at a convention in Framingham, MA last month that I wish I was at. Christopher Lloyd, Linda Blair and Bob Backlund were there (among many others), but I REALLY wanted to meet the man behind "The Bird" and "The Grouch"...I am so kicking myself for not going. Carroll Spinney is truly a talented man and a huge part of my life, as I STILL watch Sesame Street and hope to see Big Bird and Oscar every time I tune in.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Isn't he awesome? I have to say that Big Bird is my favorite character on Sesame Street. :wisdom:

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
What's amazing is that Caroll is still working in his 70's and making children smile. God bless him and Jerry Nelson for still making memories for the children of today.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
So glad about that!

What's amazing is that Caroll is still working in his 70's and making children smile. God bless him and Jerry Nelson for still making memories for the children of today.

You are definitely right, CF! I'm so thankful those guys are still doing that. If they weren't, where would we get our Count and Oscar the Grouch? I think those characters do not have any other performers besides them. Yeah, they'll be rewarded in Heaven!

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
Is is amazing, considering the fact that both Caroll and Jerry are around the same age as my grandfather. :wisdom::batty:

I think Matt Vogel does the puppeteering of Jerry's characters while Jerry does the voice. Matt is also Caroll's stand-in as Big Bird (not sure about Oscar).