Online Show Concern

MuppetLabsBoy

Reaction score
After reading this thread:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=51815

I was wondering if I'd get nailed for doing a weekly puppet show to be posted on youtube that I've been planning. My puppets would do stupid bits that revolve around their character. Such as:

The Boy & His Ducks-A child who is obsessed with rubber ducks and wants to show his collection even if no one cares

Fly Time!-A super hero that isn't super and tries to fix problems that aren't really problems

Sleep-A tired old man who is focused on how to make sure no one will wake him up

and others. There would also be a lizard and alien band to open each show. Would I get abused of copying the Muppet Show?:confused:
Thanks, MLB:eek:

King Rupert

Reaction score
you're not making a profit so Id say its cool... I like the ideas btw

Alvin

Reaction score
It ALL just makes it hard for us creators and dreamers and imagineers to come up with stuff and get away with it and it be OK to do. Like a secret society of wanna be Muppeteers and never getting the chance to "get out there" with our talent, or our ideas.

Slackbot

Reaction score
If your characters and title do not lead people to confuse them with the real Muppets, then I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody owns the copyright on the concept of puppet shows.

Melonpool

Reaction score
If you're a dreamer and an imagineer, do what you want -- but try not to make it derivative of others' work.

There are a million ways to do puppets outside of what Henson and co. did. Expose yourself to them. Learn from others. Combine it with things about Henson's work to create something of your own.

Don't just regurgitate what others have done -- explore your own life and environment and find the humor that's right in front of you. Or the drama. Or the tragedy.

I don't know that MuppetLabsBoy is particularly derivative -- other than the Rubber Duckie idea -- but why not think about something equally absurd for him to be obsessed with (green army men, pencil erasers, hair clippings, etc.). And I think that Fly Time one could be fun if it's not some blue fuzzy monster (and I don't just mean changing his color).

I saw Carl Reiner (creator of The Dick Van Dyke show) speak once and he said something to the effect of "Find that piece of ground that only you can stand on and show us how you see the world from that vantage point." This is how he came up with the idea for the Dick Van Dyke Show -- he was a comedy writer and realized that no one but him could tell the story of the backstage of a comedy show and how it co-existed with his life at home. I think there's a lot of wisdom in this. Wisdom that could propel a lot of us into the next level.

King Rupert

Reaction score
Why not try something completely lame and boring for the collection... like spoons or hankerchieves.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Right on da money

Melonpool hit it right on the head! Also your defeating yourself even before you start. Get into it! get dirty but get it done ! posting your idea's on a message board means nothing ! start doing it and your own heart might show thru if even just a little bit. I promise you the next time you do something your heart will come thru a little louder !

The Muppaphone

Reaction score
If you're a dreamer and an imagineer, do what you want -- but try not to make it derivative of others' work.

There are a million ways to do puppets outside of what Henson and co. did. Expose yourself to them. Learn from others. Combine it with things about Henson's work to create something of your own.

Don't just regurgitate what others have done -- explore your own life and environment and find the humor that's right in front of you. Or the drama. Or the tragedy.

I don't know that MuppetLabsBoy is particularly derivative -- other than the Rubber Duckie idea -- but why not think about something equally absurd for him to be obsessed with (green army men, pencil erasers, hair clippings, etc.). And I think that Fly Time one could be fun if it's not some blue fuzzy monster (and I don't just mean changing his color).

I saw Carl Reiner (creator of The Dick Van Dyke show) speak once and he said something to the effect of "Find that piece of ground that only you can stand on and show us how you see the world from that vantage point." This is how he came up with the idea for the Dick Van Dyke Show -- he was a comedy writer and realized that no one but him could tell the story of the backstage of a comedy show and how it co-existed with his life at home. I think there's a lot of wisdom in this. Wisdom that could propel a lot of us into the next level.
AMEN!