Jim Henson's Sequel Idea?

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I've heard rumors that the TDC sequel is based off of conversations between Henson, Froud, and the screenwriters. Is there any credibility to these claims? I've been searching for sources... I'm really interested to find out what Jim Henson was planning before TDC flopped (if anything).

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes, I read the same. But cant remember where...

cabbageheat

Reaction score
I have several, well maybe 2 I think, magazines about The Dark Crystal, dating back to 1983-84 with several interviews. I'll have to check those, because I seem to remember this as well...but where? I don't recall.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Thanks! I look forward to hearing what you find. And if you find nothing, either A) The Jim Henson talks were private or B) There were no talks, and the company was trying to justify to fans why a sequel will be made. :rolleyes:

Not that it needs justification. I remember being a little kid, watching The Dark Crystal, and wondering what would happen next. I really hope this sequel gets finished.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
ok, so this is all I have, it isn't much, but its something. I think I'm missing something though, I seem to remember another article where Jim did discuss a possible sequel, but I think that particular one is on-line somewhere. Who knows, but after some digging, this is the only inkling of a sequel being muttered by Jim:

"I don't see a Dark Crystal II" said Henson, to tumultuous applause from an admiring audience at the World Science Fiction Convention. But the puppet master clearly left open the possibility that a follow-up film might feature another story set in the same fantasy land, perhaps a better story this time now that hindsight shows that characters and setting alone aren't enough to support such a fantasy vehicle.

Also one other part:

All the props, costumes and scenery from The Dark Crystal are carefully stored away in a massive warehouse in Borehamwood, England, nearby the EMI Elstree studios. Henson didn't have the heart to destroy them or throw them out. "I just couldn't do that because I love them so," said Henson. "Everything is there for us to start up again."

So, that's it. This comes from "Cinefantastique" Volume 13 Number 4 April-May 1983.

So, it looks like at one point, he kept the option open, but it seems the story he would have liked to do didn't hinge on the crystal, or Gelflings or another round of Skesis. But a whole new group of characters going on their own adventures. Which makes much more sense then to 'crack" the crystal and have the whole mess start all over again. It borders on a re-make or rehash of what was, already, such an original story.

But hey..who knows now. So, there ya go.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Interesting! Thank-you. Yeah, I didn't think it sounded much like Henson to want to do a re-hash. He was all about new things, always moving forward, always trying something different.