Life expectancy of Scott Foam?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Does anybody know how long Scott foam(Gonzo nose/head foam)
can last before it starts showing signs of dusting or crumbling?
Miss Piggy's head is made of a denser foam and wont last longer than 20 years, and the less denser the foam, the quicker it breaks down.So does anybody have Scott foam that is 10 years old or more that isnt showing signs of age?:concern:

The Muppaphone

Reaction score
I personally do not have any scott foam that old, but I have seen some puppets made out of it when I went to West Virginia University for their puppetry degree, and they were at least 20 years old.

The foam itself was fine, except for a few spots here or there, but both the glue and the stitching to hold the foam together was in really rough shape, so the puppets themselves needed to be repaired regularly. They were mostly in storage during that time, but brought out every so often to be used in a different show.

I'm not sure if this picture is available to non-friends of a buddy of mine on facebook, but if you can see it, here is an example of a Liberace puppet build by a professor of mine over 20 years ago with airbrushed scott foam. Hope it helps. If you can't see it, let me know and I'll see if I can download it and host it on another website.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=869826289239&set=a.869826129559.2499490.25806411

Hope this helps!

rickly

Reaction score
This is a slightly loaded question. It depends on SO many things.

Scot foam will decay more slowly if: the puppet isn't actually used very often and if the puppeteers using the puppet aren't real sweaty or have oily skin; the puppet is stored away from UV light, in a relatively dry place but not TOO dry, etc, etc.

It will decay more quickly if: the puppet is used often and by sweaty or oily-skinned puppeteers; the puppet is exposed to UV light a lot; the puppet is stored in a very damp or very dry place, etc, etc.

But it's not just environmental factors that influence the rate of decay - scot foam is not a very consistent material at all. One batch varies greatly from another. I have some old puppets that have been used hard for years that show little sign of decay, and others that are much newer that get lighter use but are crumbling to bits.

BTW, Piggy's head is cast of foam latex, which is a completely different material than scot foam, and decays completely differently. Apples and oranges.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I personally do not have any scott foam that old, but I have seen some puppets made out of it when I went to West Virginia University for their puppetry degree, and they were at least 20 years old.

The foam itself was fine, except for a few spots here or there, but both the glue and the stitching to hold the foam together was in really rough shape, so the puppets themselves needed to be repaired regularly. They were mostly in storage during that time, but brought out every so often to be used in a different show.

I'm not sure if this picture is available to non-friends of a buddy of mine on facebook, but if you can see it, here is an example of a Liberace puppet build by a professor of mine over 20 years ago with airbrushed scott foam. Hope it helps. If you can't see it, let me know and I'll see if I can download it and host it on another website.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=869826289239&set=a.869826129559.2499490.25806411

Hope this helps!
Sorry, couldnt work the link,but I would love to see the Liberace puppet if you could please re link to another website.

muppetperson

Reaction score
This is a slightly loaded question. It depends on SO many things.

Scot foam will decay more slowly if: the puppet isn't actually used very often and if the puppeteers using the puppet aren't real sweaty or have oily skin; the puppet is stored away from UV light, in a relatively dry place but not TOO dry, etc, etc.

It will decay more quickly if: the puppet is used often and by sweaty or oily-skinned puppeteers; the puppet is exposed to UV light a lot; the puppet is stored in a very damp or very dry place, etc, etc.

But it's not just environmental factors that influence the rate of decay - scot foam is not a very consistent material at all. One batch varies greatly from another. I have some old puppets that have been used hard for years that show little sign of decay, and others that are much newer that get lighter use but are crumbling to bits.

BTW, Piggy's head is cast of foam latex, which is a completely different material than scot foam, and decays completely differently. Apples and oranges.
Thanks for your input, Rick.(PM sent).

The Muppaphone

Reaction score
Hmmm maybe not then. I know its reticulated foam. I was told thats the same thing, but I might be mistaken. Let me know if I am, because I feel embarrassed as a puppet maker then for not knowing :embarrassed: but I'm a newb so its ok :wink:

I've only really worked with the cheap stuff haha

Not sure how it was made so it may have been flocked. The highlights and shadows of the airbrush paint makes it look a little different in the photo than in real life, so that might be it too

muppetperson

Reaction score
Hmmm maybe not then. I know its reticulated foam. I was told thats the same thing, but I might be mistaken. Let me know if I am, because I feel embarrassed as a puppet maker then for not knowing :embarrassed: but I'm a newb so its ok :wink:

I've only really worked with the cheap stuff haha

Not sure how it was made so it may have been flocked. The highlights and shadows of the airbrush paint makes it look a little different in the photo than in real life, so that might be it too
I dont know that much about foam apart from that there is a LOT of different types and quality.Scot foam has that air bubbles look about it.Looking at the Liberace puppet, his face looks more dense and fury.