Do you perform Birthday shows?

doctort13

Reaction score
I have recently started performing live. I have given a little thought to trying to promote my puppet show to parents for birthday parties.

I have heard both good and bad (really BAD) stories from other puppeteers.

I am curious what others charge, what sort of show do you offer, and any hints to make it work for you.

Thanks gang! :insatiable:

rtgentry

Reaction score
Dont do it unless you are really good. Those that stink and go out and do it give puppetry a bad name and people remember that bad show when you say puppet show any other time.

Post some vids and get some feedback from some people here that will be honest. It cant hurt.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Personally i only do birthday shows for friends that ask, like this summer im doing one for my friends son

im not really a fan of it but its an easy few dollars, i guess the downfall would be you have to keep the Kids attention and not be to upset if they grab a puppet with dirtyhands if they find it

its all about being prepared

most parents will see that the puppet stage is up and just dump kids your way letting them do as they please

but its not all bad sometimes its fun and great and hey free cake

crazy chris

Reaction score
b-day parties are our bread and butter... luckily we are set up to entertain immediately as they walk through the door...and have our puppets secure and safe from filthy hands...lol

we have a pre-show policy of one skit or song or game every 10 minutes leading up to the actual show.... but within that time...we poke up different puppets every minute or so just to create excitement... if the children are sitting intently waiting on the show to start... they will sorta make a game out of watching for the next puppet to pop up and wave...

also be prepared with interactive songs and games... on our opening day we thought we were prepared with a couple games and ideas.... but ended up scrambling to think of more on the fly because they worked so well...

and be sure and know the b-day kids name by heart... u will use it ALOT...lol

and it goes without saying... CHARGE ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WORTH YOUR WHILE!... parents are used to shelling out hundreds of dollars on these annual events... so never undersell yourself.... why should they spend 50 on a cake... and 40 on a full interactive puppet show...which one will the kids remember?

most of all...HAVE FUN!... if its not fun... then why do it?

cc

doctort13

Reaction score
Thanks

Great to hear your feedback. I guess birthday shows are not for me at this time, I'll stick with the coffee house, farmer's market gigs for now.

For those interested in my work, please check out my blog and the videos I've posted.

Have a GREAT day!

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I think it's very important for every performer to devise a set of standards for performing that you go over with any prospective client. Have it written out and go over it with the client before any deposit or money exchanges hands. Certain things like providing you with "X" amount of space you may need, children should be seated at least "X" feet back from the stage. Things like "at least one adult should be present for child wrangling during the show". "For my safety and yours, children should not be allowed to charge the stage at any time and kept a minimum distance from the performance at all times." And, most importantly: "Talent is not responsible for any injury caused by client not adhering to these terms."

Spell out what would be a perfect show for you [within reason] and have the client agree to all terms. Someone out there must have a good generic version of this that you could modify to your specifications.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
You should always let free cake rule your decision-making.

Always.

Unfortunately I don't have any shows for children, so I don't do birthday parties.

doctort13

Reaction score
Shows for "Big Kids"

Has anyone performed at Senior Centers? My sister suggested that I offer to do a show, as a donation to the center.
I am just curious if anyone has tried this?

crazy chris

Reaction score
Has anyone performed at Senior Centers? My sister suggested that I offer to do a show, as a donation to the center.
I am just curious if anyone has tried this?
we have huge plans to pursue this and are working up a vaudeville style show for it... but actually tommorrow is GRANDMA DAY at our theater... all grandmothers get in for just one dollar!

hee hee

cc