New Interview with Dave Goelz

Cobblestones

Reaction score
Hey,

New to the board, but I come baring gifts (hopefully)

I've been a reporter for NPR for about 6 years... as well as a lifelong Muppet fan. A little while ago, I was lucky enough to meet and interview Jane and Heather Henson as well as Dave Goelz. Thankfully, they turned out to be who I needed them to be. Sweet, genuine people. It would have hurt horribly if they turned out to be rats or divas. The child in me needed them to live up to my memories of the Muppets.

Thankfully, one of the sweetest moments in my reporting career involved Jane Henson.

We had just finished our interview and she left the room. I began speaking with a docent for the Smithsonian. The feature was on the Fantastic World of Jim Henson exhibit. A few minutes into that interview I hear this shy tapping on the door. Jane peeks her head in and says in a meek voice,

"My daughter's here too. Would you mind interviewing her too?"

It was so wonderful. I felt so honored just to get the chance to speak with them! They could have been self-important or stiff and professional or even bored, but they were the opposite genuine and sweet and attentive... and a little bit cautious.

Afterwards, I conducted an interview with Dave Goelz (Gonzo and others) on the phone. We were scheduled to speak for about ten minutes and wound up chatting for about an hour. It is one of the only raw tapes that I have kept in full.

I have produced a new partial interview with him that you can find here. One day, I'd like to put out the whole thing.

www.cobblestonepath.org

Please visit and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I just finished up the interview, and it was so awesome! You did ask a lot of really great questions, and Dave always has such interesting things to say. I love hearing about Gonzo's first appearances and the changes he went through throughout the years.

Thank you so much for sharing! :smile:

Cobblestones

Reaction score
I just finished up the interview, and it was so awesome! You did ask a lot of really great questions, and Dave always has such interesting things to say. I love hearing about Gonzo's first appearances and the changes he went through throughout the years.

Thank you so much for sharing! :smile:
Thanks so much! What a great comment. It would mean a lot if you wouldn't mind putting that into the comments section of the website. I did want to share this with the board, but I also want to collect notes to convince the powers that be to let me air the full hour and help make a case with my friends at NPR.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Thanks so much! What a great comment. It would mean a lot if you wouldn't mind putting that into the comments section of the website. I did want to share this with the board, but I also want to collect notes to convince the powers that be to let me air the full hour and help make a case with my friends at NPR.
I would love to! ... But where do I leave a comment? Do I need to head over to the blog part of the web-site?

Cobblestones

Reaction score
I would love to! ... But where do I leave a comment? Do I need to head over to the blog part of the web-site?
Ah, there is a contact us link at the top of the home page. I wonder if we should rename this. So much to learn. Although, I got to admit... it's also kind of fun.

I mean getting to meet Gonzo is just mind blowing and even better... he was such a cool, nice, down to earth guy. He kept my childhood intact.

On the other hand, figuring out how to do the website... not sure if that's comedy or tragedy yet :smile:

Thanks again.

www.cobblestonepath.org

Puckrox

Reaction score
Ah, there is a contact us link at the top of the home page. I wonder if we should rename this. So much to learn. Although, I got to admit... it's also kind of fun.

I mean getting to meet Gonzo is just mind blowing and even better... he was such a cool, nice, down to earth guy. He kept my childhood intact.

On the other hand, figuring out how to do the website... not sure if that's comedy or tragedy yet :smile:
I sent in my comment! :smile:

I'd imagine getting to meet/interview the man behind (or under?) Gonzo would be mind blowing. I've watched a lot of interviews online with him, and he seems like he's such a nice guy. He always has so much to share, and the interviews where he has Gonzo with him are hilarious. I'd love to meet him someday. :big_grin:

Cobblestones

Reaction score
So, on our first day putting our foot in the water about a thousand people came to visit and listen to the Dave Goelz piece.

Thanks to all that did. Please let others know about this.

Cobblestones

Reaction score
Dave Goelz visited the site and wrote me endorsing the story and the site. He even commented on the blogs. It's got me giddy which I realize is unprofessional, but what can ya do.

He also sent me a few pics to use which I've put up in the website and gallery.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Dave Goelz visited the site and wrote me endorsing the story and the site. He even commented on the blogs. It's got me giddy which I realize is unprofessional, but what can ya do.

He also sent me a few pics to use which I've put up in the website and gallery.
Wow, that's great! And those are some terrific pictures he shared with you! I especially like the one with him and Steve Whitmire. :smile: