What would be good for glasses?

charlie bird

Reaction score
I never understood why my mom always insisted on keeping the 3-D glasses whenever we see movies, even though the theater staff always tells us to recycle them when we're through... but I guess it's a good thing she did keep all those pairs, because I took initiative from Charlie and used a pair of them for puppet glasses. It's such an ingenius idea that saves me the work of having to construct a pair myself, and the shape of the 3-D glasses is close to what I wanted.

I experimented with three different pairs to see how good of results I could get; I really wanted to paint them a certainly color as according to the sketch art/puppet design, but the surface of the glasses didn't allow for a good paint job, as it keep chipping off after it was dry, and made for a bit of a mess. So the last pair, I left as is, and for the eyes, I did similar to Charlie, only I applied the eyes directly to the front of the lenses (low budget puppets call for simpler materials, but it's all about the character and personality, because all my puppets have paper-covered cardboard eyes, I wouldn't even know where to look for the plastic used for eyes). I'm really pleased with the results, and sometime within the next two weeks or so, I'm going to start working on the last two puppets I've been meaning to build for quite sometime, including the character I call Easter Egg, whom the glasses are for.

Jeepers creepers, where'd I get those bespectacled puppet peepers?
omg!amazing thats exactly how I have so many pairs of those glasses !I love the eyes and I am so happy I could help and exited to see what youve done and how it turns out:smile:
also you can get plastic from every day things I used plastic from some type of panelling from the harware store.People also use butter lids and plastic boxes...anything!However youres look just as good as the next thing!
thank you sooo much for the picture looks amazing!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lol, thank you for the inspiration.

I ask that you make sure to check both "Project: Snowth" thread here, and my site/blog for updates, as I always make sure to include photos of completed puppets when they're finished.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've been collecting various random glasses in a small box for years just in case they are ever needed. It's surprising how many times they've come in handy.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Yeah Buck I've been doing the same. And I collect many other little odds and ends as well. Boy does my wife LOVE that habit. :big_grin: Of course it does come in handy. I also keep a variety of plastic items on hand for raw materials. Empty pudding containers, butter dishes, McDonald's drink cups, ice cream containers, and things like that. I often find myself in need of a piece of plastic when building and that pile of recycling has come in quite handy!

Melonpool

Reaction score
I've been getting a bit of a reputation as a hoarder at work because I'm constantly pulling electronics out of the recycling bin for use on my spaceship set. :wink:

Greenlantern999

Reaction score
Your glasses turned out great! I buy mine from the local dollar store. They have tons of styles I like the 'Buddy Holly' type a lot and they remind me of the way yours turned out. Here is a picture of the one I've used in the past.

I just love puppet building!

~Patrick

BorkBork

Reaction score
My tip is to trace the shape of glasses on to craft foam sheets, also known as foamies and then cut it out with scissors or a razor.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My tip is to trace the shape of glasses on to craft foam sheets, also known as foamies and then cut it out with scissors or a razor.
My concern with that technique would be that the foamies would be a little too flimsy to hold up in the long run; I tried using foamies for mouthplates to try and achieve a flexible mouth (ala Kermit, and early AMs), but it couldn't retain it's shape over the long run, which resulted in a puppet looking like it had a permanent sneer.

BorkBork

Reaction score
My concern with that technique would be that the foamies would be a little too flimsy to hold up in the long run; I tried using foamies for mouthplates to try and achieve a flexible mouth (ala Kermit, and early AMs), but it couldn't retain it's shape over the long run, which resulted in a puppet looking like it had a permanent sneer.
It all depends of the thickness of the foamies. If you get the thicker sheets you use. If you use the thicker kind, you can use it for all sorts of things. Even mouthplates.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You could also use styrene or a similar plastic if sturdiness is a concern.