Puppets but not Muppets

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone gets annoyed when their puppets get compared with Muppets? Not quality wise but have you ever made an arm rod puppet or a human arm puppet, showed it to someone and had them go "Oh it's like a Muppet." I usually don't push it because I know what they mean more often than not, it's a puppet that is the same style as a Muppet. But sometimes it gets a little aggravating.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
I used to feel that way, but now after 10 years of puppet making I've come to accecpt it as a compliment.
If you're going to be compared to anyone, at least it's the best!

Melonpool

Reaction score
I usually got "Are those the Crank Yankers?" I wonder if Hanna Barbera ever got asked if they liked drawing Mickey Mouse?

Adam Kreutinger

Reaction score
That happens to me all the time too. It drives me crazy, I usually just act like they said puppet and scram inside.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I don't find it aggravating. The Muppets have been and continue to be a great inspiration for me. They are really the only form of puppetry that most of American society is familiar with so it really isn't that surprising. But since I have such a love for the work of everyone associated with Jim Henson and everything Muppet I don't mind such a comparison at all.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I think it happens in all art. Just the other day, I had to wrap a present for a friend's birthday, so I printed out a few of my old comics and wrapped it in those.

When i got to the restaurant, the hostess commented "Oh! You wrapped your present in comics!" I replied that I actually had drawn the comics.

Her response: "You drew Calvin and Hobbes?"

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
when they are refered to as Muppets it doesn't bother me...its the ones who cant separate on character from another

like your calvin and Hobbes experience or Freddy j frog is Kermit...ive even heard people Call Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Mickey mouse

Adam Kreutinger

Reaction score
I think the Muppets have been an inspiration for for everyone here. And I do understand why they do it, but plane and simple, the puppet that we all above been talking about are not Muppets.
The best thing to do is to just come up with your own name for your puppets.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
when they are refered to as Muppets it doesn't bother me...its the ones who cant separate on character from another

like your calvin and Hobbes experience or Freddy j frog is Kermit...ive even heard people Call Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Mickey mouse
I guess that's the thing that has often bothered me most. One time I made a puppet and was showing it to people and people kept saying "Oh it looks like (insert Muppet name here) It didn't really look like anyone but it made me feel as if I was subconsiously ripping them off (which I'm not doing, it's more an inner thought issue.) Again I don't mind it too much, it's just sometimes it seems weird.

MuppetLabsBoy

Reaction score
I guess that's the thing that has often bothered me most. One time I made a puppet and was showing it to people and people kept saying "Oh it looks like (insert Muppet name here) It didn't really look like anyone but it made me feel as if I was subconsiously ripping them off (which I'm not doing, it's more an inner thought issue.) Again I don't mind it too much, it's just sometimes it seems weird.
100% with you there. I have a red puppet that often gets compared to Elmo, even when they look nothing alike. I think that the best thing that we can do is show people how some of our puppets may be Muppet style (from the eyes to the shine antron gives), but that these are OUR OWN characters that WE came up with on OUR OWN.

-MLB:eek: