Gasket Rubber Alternatives

cflorio123

Reaction score
Hi, looking into the mouthplate for a Kermit puppet. I've heard that gasket rubber is like super expensive, does anyone have any
a) links to find gasket rubber somewhat cheap
or
b) gasket rubber alternatives

Help is greatly appreciated:smile::smile:

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Check my Puppet Builders Directory
http://puppeteersunite.com/?page_id=1059

Under Mouth section.

You can find gasket rubber at hardware stores at about $20 for a pack of 4. Check the plumbing section.

For alternatives I would go for plastic type material like Bleach bottle, and Ice cream bucket plastic. You can also use corrugated plastic sign material found even in dollar stores. Anything flexible but won`t break when it gets old :smile: Hope this helps

Animal31

Reaction score
I found mine at Lowes, they have 2 thicknesses, I paid $1.50 a sheet....

Edradour

Reaction score
Home Depot has a package of 2 small sheets (6"x6")for under $5. One sheet makes both parts of mouth on the "Glorified Sock Puppet" pattern, with a decent amount left over.

larz

Reaction score
I just used a thin mousepad - neoprene rubber with fabric on one side. VERY flexible and the fabric side up feels good on the fingers.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought gasket rubber was no longer being manufactured? :confused:

If not, then this is great, because that means I can still look for some. :big_grin:

Jinx

Reaction score
I've used gasket rubber, as mentioned available at major hardware stores, and it is not inordinately expensive. I am fortunate to work in a factory where we manufacture camera straps from neoprene, so occasionally I get some scraps. 3 mil is better than 6 mil, although both work well.

If you want top-quality hard plastic go to a sign shop and ask for "sintra". You can get it in thin sheets, and they may even have some scraps they'd give you or sell to you cheaply. The corrugated plastic mentioned above (coroplast) is a bit thick for my liking, unless I'm making a very large character, altough it is quite durable.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
You can buy gasket rubber sheets dirt cheap at Lowes. As Animal31 mentioned, they sell them in sheets. Theres a thin and thick sheet available there. They'll be in the plumbing isle.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You can also look for gasket rubber at automotive supply stores.

Alternatives to gasket rubber are neoprene and vinyl, although I personally like gasket rubber best.

Animal31

Reaction score
You can also look for gasket rubber at automotive supply stores.

Alternatives to gasket rubber are neoprene and vinyl, although I personally like gasket rubber best.
Not so much at auto-parts stores anymore, they've switched to cork........... :frown: