Modern Classics

dwmckim

Reaction score
Okay, we all know that most people feel that modern Sesame doesn't even compare to classic SST. And while that may be true to an extent overall, sometimes modern SST does get a bad rap with some really great moments being overlooked as everyone just sees The Elmo Show, heavily repeated segments, and the "magazine" format.

So this thread is to pay tribute to those particular bits that stand out among the others. If you wanted to show someone who's totally given up on SST saying "the magic is gone" that there are still segments that hold up next to any of the classic bits, what would you pick? What bits still represent SST at its best - where the performances, writing, and direction all work together to create something special? Segments that leave you thinking "why can't the rest of the show be like this?" Those moments that feel just as classic as anything from the first 20 years?

My personal picks would be "Dancing With Triangles" and (even though it's Elmo), "Celebrity Lullabies".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of this past decades best segments include:
  • 1234 with Feist
  • A Cookie is a Sometimes Food
  • The First Time Me Eat Cookie
  • What I Am with Will.I.Am
  • Super K Cereal
  • Outrageous Makeover: Home Addition
  • I Wonder
  • Don't Know Y with Nora Jones
  • I Like My Hair

mr3urious

Reaction score
When the show nowadays is allowed to be creative (without meddling from executives and parental groups), it really goes all out. Here's some of my favorites:

- Pre-School Musical
- Law and Order: Special Letters Unit
- "Kids With Wings" (one of the late Tony Geiss' swan songs)
- "I Like My Hair"
- Outrageous Makeover: Home Addition (classic Frank and Jerry here)
- "Set Your Piggies Free"
- "Mad Men" (loses a bit of points for using "happy" instead of "glad", though)
- The "Cookie World" episode from Season 37 (definitely a whole lot more educational than Elmo's World, that's for sure!)
- Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs cleaning out Oscar's can (lots of funny dialogue between the two here)
- "The Tortellini Song"

Drtooth

Reaction score
That 2002 episode where Oscar and Telly go for a Road Trip that never starts because Telly has to keep picking stuff up for Oscar every 2 feet. It had a distinct 1980's street story feel to it, and nothing is more priceless than Telly losing it.

I also speak highly of the episode where Telly tries way too hard to protect Baby Bear's Birthday Cake from Curly Bear. Curly's wild eyes whenever someone accidentally said cake, and Telly freaking out trying to hold her back? Another great madcap episode.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
From the past couple of seasons, I'd say:
  • Guess the Seasons (It has such a different sound than SS songs we usually hear)
  • Celebrity Lullabies (See, Elmo CAN be funny outside EW)
  • I Wonder (The best song from Season 41, I consider it a modern "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon")
  • I Love My Hair (it's done in such a classic, simple way. I don't know why they don't make more of these kinds of bits.

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
Would anyone else say that the Matt Lauer/Cookie Monster bit from season 37 could be one?

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'd say it would be right near the top of the list!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think the stuff on the 40 Years DVD covers a lot of the best bits from recent years. "Can't Say the Alphabet Enough" is the kind of bit we should see more of. I'd also add "Telly Tut" to the list, because it's a pretty obscure parody and a well done one at that.

dwmckim

Reaction score
"Seconding" Feist's 1234, What I Am, Preschool Musical and I Love My Hair. All these have that classic feel and shows SST at its best.

Some new choices no one's mentioned yet:
-Chris O'Donnell: Activate - seems pulled right out of the good ol' days
-Meal Or No Meal - writing, direction, and performances all at the top of their game
-American I - fully takes advantage of each character's strong characterization from Prairie being the lone voice of reason and getting frantic as a result to Rosita's "love everybody" attitude and Oscar's delightful contrariness.
-Rhyme Scene Investigation - just classic all around.
- Grover performs magic for Chris - hilarious Grover bit and the first time i really noticed how wonderfully Chris works with the Muppets.

and some non-specific sketches/general overall moments:
-any Elmo vs Rocco moment
- Layla/Muppet scenes. MVP newcomer. Nitya totally gets everything about her role displaying a great screen presence, incredible speaking and singing voice and always seems to be treating the Muppet cast with respect, listening and taking in their concerns and desires and then allowing them to make their own choices instead of coming out with the answer.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Would anyone else say that the Matt Lauer/Cookie Monster bit from season 37 could be one?
Personally, I feel that segment is overrated, though I guess it is important in informing the uninformed that the veggie monster rumors are just rumors. I don't think we needed to have it on two DVDs. I feel it could have been left off the 40th anniversary DVD and just included on C is for Cookie Monster.