Animal31

Reaction score
For two reasons:

1. The mess!
2. Without shortening the fur on the edges by mistake

Thanks!

Slackbot

Reaction score
I mark the pattern on the back, then cut it with a very sharp blade rather than a scissors. If it's too soft for that I cut very carefully with scissors, sliding the blade between the fur fibers rather than chopping down on them.

practicecactus

Reaction score
I use scissors but I make very tiny snips. It's time consuming but ensures precise cutting and doesn't stretch or fray the edge of the material which is better for sewing.
Also, remember when sewing fur pieces together [inside out], to make sure no fur gets trapped in the seam by poking any stray hair back through.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Oops, forgot to add, and can't edit the post, I always cut the backing, with the fur side down. You don't really need to brush the fur any, so long as you just cut the backing, when you're done, gently pulling your piece out, the hairs will untangle.

Animal31

Reaction score
I use scissors but I make very tiny snips. It's time consuming but ensures precise cutting and doesn't stretch or fray the edge of the material which is better for sewing.
Also, remember when sewing fur pieces together [inside out], to make sure no fur gets trapped in the seam by poking any stray hair back through.
Okay, another good question then.......

What method do you use for hand sewing? Which would be the best for puppet usage? Project Puppet mentions the "Whipstitch", but how does it hold up, up until now I've been using the old "In and Out".........(yeah, I caught that too, insert snicker here)

Thanks!

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Okay, another good question then.......

What method do you use for hand sewing? Which would be the best for puppet usage? Project Puppet mentions the "Whipstitch", but how does it hold up, up until now I've been using the old "In and Out".........(yeah, I caught that too, insert snicker here)

Thanks!
Ladder Stitch! AKA- Double Gathering Stitch, AKA-Henson Stitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CjOXMuTFXo

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
You can do a ladder stitch with fur? I thought that was mainly for fleece when sewing from the right side?

Interesting!
LOL Sorry I was in fleece mode. The whipstitch is a good one- make certain you sew on the opposite side of the fur though.

Melonpool

Reaction score
You can use the ladder stitch on just about any fabric. in fact, my couch is held together by a ladder stitch after it got a tear all along the back of it. :wink: