What's the best way for cutting fur?

practicecactus

Reaction score
My sewing is still pretty hamfisted and basic- in one end, out the other, but I only use the ladder stitch when I can't turn the material inside-out, like the neck for example, which is usually smaller than the head. I only use the whipstich If I want to really strengthen a seam I know is a gonna get a bit more of a workout than the rest.. or if my sewing was particularly shoddy.

Animal31

Reaction score
What's the best way to keep the fur out of the stitch? I just did one and tried keeping it back with masking tape, it's tough to try to free it afterwards.......

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help!

Melonpool

Reaction score
One thing I always try to do is have the fur lay away from the nose of the character. As long as I do that, the fur always seems to lie the way I want it to.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
When I say Trim the fur from the seam I mean trim the fur from the edge of the fur before you sew it.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Hey i seen some of these responses and need to respond on them.

I agree with cutting the back. Use a razor, or box cutting blade. Scissors will make a mess, and when cutting the fur side, you can accidentally cut fur that will be seen in the final project.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Okay, another good question then.......

What method do you use for hand sewing? Which would be the best for puppet usage? Project Puppet mentions the "Whipstitch", but how does it hold up, up until now I've been using the old "In and Out".........(yeah, I caught that too, insert snicker here)

Thanks!
I do a back-stitch. I think it's stronger. Whip stitches can lead to the "tension" being off when you're hand sewing & too many seams showing.

If I'm sewing something over the top of something else (or right side out), I use a ladder stitch.

Mostly I use my machine. because I'm lazy.

Animal31

Reaction score
I do a back-stitch. I think it's stronger. Whip stitches can lead to the "tension" being off when you're hand sewing & too many seams showing.

If I'm sewing something over the top of something else (or right side out), I use a ladder stitch.

Mostly I use my machine. because I'm lazy.
I wish I could get my sewing machine to work! What is a back-stitch?