Patterns

Goochman

Reaction score
Might as well ask since you guys have been awesome so far...

Does anyone know where to get free patterns or do any of you share your patterns?
:scary:

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I've seen one or two free patterns out there but the old adage is true. You get what you pay for. So my recommendation would be to hit up project puppet for some patters. Yes you do have to pay for them but they are TOTALLY worth it! You could start with a simple series pattern if you wanted. For only $19.95 or $24.95 you get a great pattern you can be sure will be useful and from that pattern you can make dozens of puppets! So that's a pretty great value. And with project puppet you're also getting the instructions and tips that come along with the pattern as well so it will help you to learn the craft.

So while I do own all but one of the patterns offered by Project Puppet I'm afraid I won't share them. Not because I'm selfish or mean, but because of my great respect for the folks at Project Puppet. They've worked hard to provide a truly valuable service to all those interested in puppet building and they deserve our support. We need to respect our fellow artists and give them the credit (and payment) that they deserve. It's an expenditure that you won't regret.

Which I guess is a REALLY long winded way of saying what Creature Work just said.
:big_grin:

Goochman

Reaction score
I've looked there before and I'm sure I'll buy some soon enough, I was hoping someone out there had some that are freely given, I would never ask for something free that isn't isn't offered openly.

I have the one from Jon at Bashful puppet. It was a great start I'm just looking for a little more variety to really start experimenting

practicecactus

Reaction score
Not sure how successful it'd be having never tried myself, but have you tried looking for stuffed toy patterns? There's gotta be at least free teddy bear pattern out there that could be easily adapted for puppets. Or at least a good starting point to modify or learn how to make your own.
I never really make patterns myself, as my puppets so far tend to come together without them.

Goochman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I ended up buying a pattern from projectpuppet. I made the head already, tomorrow it's getting fleeced!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Glad to see that you bought a pattern. I was in the same boat at one point. But i agree. The ppl at PP deserve the money for what they do and they do an awesome job. Lots of tips that come with the pattern so you're really getting more then what you pay for.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I actually have a question about the patterns from Puppet Planet. I'm considering buying one and I think I will lmost definately buy the pattern for the basic sock puppets at some point. However, I have seen patterns, such as the one posted previously and one in a book I currently have from the library, for puppet heads and bodies. So, my question is, if one were to buy one of the simple series patterns does it differ much from any other basic puppet pattern? I just ask because I'm sure it's a greta pattern I just don't know if I want to buy one if I have access to a similar pattern.