Muppet tourist destinations?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Adam, and I apologize if this question has been covered in another thread, but I'm fairly new here and couldn't find anything.

I'm currently planning a cross country road trip and am looking for any attractions that the Muppets may have out there (basically anywhere in America). I found Sesame Park, which I'll probably stop at, but I can't seem to find anything regarding the Muppets. Is there anything worth seeing? :confused:

If you know of anything/anywhere Muppet-related, please let me know. Thanks a lot for your time!

~Adam Viklund

Dearth

Reaction score
Hi Adam,

I haven't been there yet, but I'm hoping this summer I can take my sons to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta GA where they have some original Muppets on display like Link Hogthrob, Dr. Strangepork, etc.

You might also want to find out what city is currently hosting the travelling Smithsonian exhibition "Jim Henson's Fantastic World". We saw it last year and got to meet Heather Henson, it was a blast.

Here's a link to my YouTube reconstruction...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLX4ARO62yo

If you're in the South, you might want to check out Jim's birthplace in Leland MS, I think they have a Song of the Cloud Forest exhibit at the moment...

http://www.lelandms.org/kermit.html

And the University of Maryland has that Jim Henson statue. I'd like to see it someday.

If you go to either of the Disney theme park destinations (Anaheim CA or Orlando FL, ignoring the overseas parks since you said "in America") definitely check out Muppet*Vision 3-D, one of the last projects Jim completed before he died.

It's specifically at Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim, and at Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly Disney/MGM Studios) in Orlando. All the Disney Parks should offer Muppet merchandise in their gift shops, too.

That's all that pops to mind at the moment.

Alex

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks a lot Alex. I really appreciate the help! I'll check these out and see what I'll be close to.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
theres a mini muesuem in Leland Missipi Birthplace of Kermit the frog,( i think its still there)

also the Smithsonian in DC should have a few muppet and sesame street items

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Paley Center for Media (in New York City and Los Angeles) has a huge amount of rare Muppet specials and TV appearances, many of which aren't available online. :smile:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Gah, heralde stole mine.

If you've got the funds, go to MGM studios at Disney World just to see the Muppet Vision #D movie, one of the last things Jim worked on before he died (assuming it's still there, I haven't been there in a few years). It's worth it just to see the lobby; there is so much muppety goodness in such small square footage.

TSSD

Reaction score
Gah, heralde stole mine.

If you've got the funds, go to MGM studios at Disney World just to see the Muppet Vision #D movie, one of the last things Jim worked on before he died (assuming it's still there, I haven't been there in a few years). It's worth it just to see the lobby; there is so much muppety goodness in such small square footage.
Not to mention the gift shop afterwards, which looks like The Happiness Hotel.

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone for all your help! I doing a three week tour, and it looks like I'm going to be able to see almost everything you've told me about. This is gonna be sweet!

Thanks again!

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
I love this topic! My family has our own little travel company and I've always dreamed of creating a cross-country road trip to Jim Henson and Muppety related destinations. Anyway, here are places I have been (sorry if they have already been mentioned)

Washington D.C.- FANTASTIC places for Jim Henson and Muppet Stuff-Check out the University of Maryland for the Jim Henson and Kermit statue- (make sure to go inside the building behind it and look to your right while going through the doors-they make a Kermit version of their mascot and that statue is there)- Also, in their library system- they have a HUGE Sesame Street archive where you can go and look at old research and other great documents-and on any computer in their libraries-they have some really cool rare henson footage too)- I spent a whole day at UM and it was awesome

Go to the Smithsonian Museum of American History- They usually have a Kermit photo puppet on display in their hall of popular culture and now I think they should have the original Sam n Friends muppets on display now (I need to go back to see that)

Definitely check out where the Jim Henson's Fantastic World exhibit is- I think it's somewhere in Illinois now

NY- another great Muppet Spot- go look up the address for the Henson townhouse- there's nothing in it now but it still looks great to check it out- Go to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine where both Jim Henson and Richard Hunt's memorial services were. Also check out Central Park where Jon Stone and Jim Henson's benches are.

I haven't been but definitely go to the Kermit/Henson museum in Leland and definitely check out the center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta.

Definitely go to Disneyworld at MGM studios if you can and go to their Chinese theater and check out Jim Henson's hand prints in the cement (totally awesome!) Muppetvision 3D is always a must and make sure to take plenty of time to look at all the great props and stuff.

I've never been to Hollywood but you can always to check out Jim Henson studios and the giant statue of Kermit dressed as Charlie Chaplan-they might give you a tour, you never know!

Whoo, that's all I can think of right now, but one day I will plan that Henson cross-country trip someday :smile:

Enjoy your trip- sounds like a blast!