Questions about Puppet Making and Training DVD's

newbie77

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've been browsing through the forums for a little while and I had some questions regarding the making of puppets as well as training dvds.

Since I am so new, I know I will be purchasing puppet patterns from the project puppet website. I want to make a puppet similar to the one that is at the top of their website page (it is the one that is a person puppet, yarn hair, rainbow colored shirt, brown pants).

1. Besides the price, what is the difference between the simple series and the forma series?
2. How labor intensive is it to sew without a sewing machine?
3. Is it worth buying a sewing machine if I plan on making 2 or 3 puppets?
4. Can I get good results using a glue gun rather than the toxic stuff that requires a breathing apparatus?

Lastly, since I've never done puppetry before, can someone recommend either a set of DVD's or videos or website that gives tutorials on how to perform a puppet?

Thanks.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
First off, welcome! And secondly I would like to add that I think you're headed the right direction by selecting a project puppet pattern. I and many other forum users have and continue to use them for good reason. I've only been at this for a few years now and there are many others around with WAAAAAY more experience and the resulting knowledge but I'll take a stab at your questions with what I do know.

1. Besides the price, what is the difference between the simple series and the forma series?

I guess if I had to give a simple answer it would be the Forma Series is well...bigger. The size of the puppet will be bigger, you get bigger training and information on some techniques commonly used in puppet building and it will take a bigger amount of time to build. And as the name implies the Simple Series are easier and faster to build.

2. How labor intensive is it to sew without a sewing machine?

It is obviously going to take a good deal longer sewing by hand. It is the recommended method for the majority of seams for most puppet builders (including Project Puppet) as it will generally result in seams that are easier to hide. That being said I still often use my machine to sew the arms, body and much of the fleece head covering. I'm just too impatient. Also the first time I tried hand sewing a head it didn't really turn out that great. I'm going to be trying again soon though since I've since learned and practiced quite a bit.

3. Is it worth buying a sewing machine if I plan on making 2 or 3 puppets?

Well, if that's all you'll be using a sewing machine for I guess it might not be worth it. The time factor is what's going to help decide it for you. If you're wanting to pinch some pennies and use a machine you could borrow one from someone or possibly pick one up cheap on craigslist or at Goodwill.

4. Can I get good results using a glue gun rather than the toxic stuff that requires a breathing apparatus?

You can ABSOLUTELY get good results with a glue gun! I've used contact cement, spray adhesive and hot glue building puppets but for most of my building I use my trusty hot glue gun. There are certain situations where the other types of glue just work out better, but generally I love my glue gun. I should add that I learned that if you're using a high temp glue gun (which I recommend) it is essential to wait 20-30 seconds after applying glue to something (like foam) before you apply a piece of material to it (such as fleece) to prevent the glue from "bleeding" through the fabric and effectively ruining the project.

As to videos on how to perform I haven't really looked for those that much. Most of what I've learned I've learned from others out in the "real" world. But I wanted to direct you to this website anyway. This guy has a WEALTH of info on building puppets! I HIGHLY recommend using it. At the very least you need to see the video he has showing how to do the Henson stitch. He might have something there on performing too.
http://www.youtube.com/user/StiqPuppets#p/u

Best of luck and have fun!
:big_grin:

newbie77

Reaction score
Hi Puppetainer,

Thanks for your reply. It's very encouraging to hear that the patterns over at Project Puppet are used by others on this forum and that you are satisfied with the results.

So when you say the difference between the Simple and Forma series is the size of the puppet, how much of a difference are you talking about? A 24 inch puppet versus a 36 inch puppet?

Does the Forma series include instructions for creating bendable hands, arms and legs? I'm not sure what you call it, but it would allow you to position the puppet's hands for certain gestures. This is different from the arm rods which is an exterior rod that you can see that moves the arms around.

Their website recommends using reticulated foam and they sell it on their website that is 16 by 36 inches in size. Is this enough to make an entire Forma series puppet (head, body, arms and legs)?

I have looked at stiqpuppet's youtube videos. He has some great info on building puppets but not much on learning puppetry.

Besides the materials to build the puppet, what are the tools that I would need? I am assuming the following:

-glue gun
-sewing scissors
-quality needles

Anything else?

One of the few websites I found that has puppetry tutorials is called puppetsinc. They sell individual DVD's as well as a set. Perhaps someone on this site knows if these are worth buying or if there are other videos I should be checking out.

Animal31

Reaction score

You can ABSOLUTELY get good results with a glue gun! I've used contact cement, spray adhesive and hot glue building puppets but for most of my building I use my trusty hot glue gun. There are certain situations where the other types of glue just work out better, but generally I love my glue gun. I should add that I learned that if you're using a high temp glue gun (which I recommend) it is essential to wait 20-30 seconds after applying glue to something (like foam) before you apply a piece of material to it (such as fleece) to prevent the glue from "bleeding" through the fabric and effectively ruining the project.

I have a multi-temp glue gun and keep it on low, should I still be waiting the 20 seconds before applying the fabric?

Puppetainer

Reaction score
So when you say the difference between the Simple and Forma series is the size of the puppet, how much of a difference are you talking about? A 24 inch puppet versus a 36 inch puppet?
Well, for me the difference is about 16 inches for the Simple Series compared to 20 inches for the Forma. But I've modified the Simple Series pattern a bit so it may be somewhat shorter going by the original pattern. No shorter than 14 inches I'm sure.

Does the Forma series include instructions for creating bendable hands, arms and legs?
Well they don't really address legs at all. They do include directions for bendable hands in each of the Forma Series instructions but I think the best instructions by far are in the Punto Pattern instructions. They also have instructions for bendable fingers and attaching arm rods at their website but I prefer the Punto version because they allow for removable arm rods which I prefer. As for bendable arms...they do have directions for making the arms but I don't believe they have any directions for something that would allow them to hold a pose. There are certainly any number of ways that you could accomplish that.

Their website recommends using reticulated foam and they sell it on their website that is 16 by 36 inches in size. Is this enough to make an entire Forma series puppet (head, body, arms and legs)?
You can certainly use reticulated foam but especially if you're covering the puppet with fleece I would recommend the more affordable and more readily available poly or upholstery foam. ALL of the puppets I've built so far have used upholstery foam. But 1 yard of foam should be more than enough to build a Forma Series puppet. Though I don't use poly foam for arms and legs. I use polyfill like you would use for pillow stuffing.

Besides the materials to build the puppet, what are the tools that I would need? I am assuming the following:

-glue gun
-sewing scissors
-quality needles

Anything else?
Well...I have a rolling storage unit with drawers that's filled with stuff I use. The handiest stuff would be tailor's chalk and holder for tracing your pattern onto the material, and a seam ripper for those occasions when you need to fix something. I'm blanking on other tools at the moment but I'm sure others will chime in.

To answer Animal I doubt you'd need to wait. I actually have both a hi temp and low temp gun and I don't wait with the low temp. I prefer just using the low temp for those occasions when I'm going to be gluing fleece to foam.

Edradour

Reaction score

-glue gun
-sewing scissors
-quality needles

Anything else?

One of the few websites I found that has puppetry tutorials is called puppetsinc. They sell individual DVD's as well as a set. Perhaps someone on this site knows if these are worth buying or if there are other videos I should be checking out.
I have 2 pair of scissors: One small, very sharp pair for precision cutting & a larger pair for cutting posterboard & the like.

-Razor blades or an X-acto knife for cutting foam
-markers (I have several colored Sharpies)
-tape measure
-pliers
-wire cutter

I'm a beginner too & I've started a series of videos that cover the "Glorified Sock Puppet" pattern from Project Puppet. (My slogan now is "If I can do it, anyone can!") I only have 2 videos up right now, but should have at least one new one each week until I finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIcN2yXQ1A

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Hey very nice video series there! Tom over at Puppeteers Unite! also began a series showing the building of a monster using the Roly Pattern. Unfortunately that series stalled after building the mouthplate.

Here's the link to that one. http://puppeteersunite.com/?page_id=588

I look forward to the rest of yours Edradour!

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Hopefully that link will work better for you than it does for me. It does work but automatically loads the 8 minute tutorial on making blinking eyes. While that is an excellent tutorial the player would NOT let me pause it to watch anything else. Best of luck!

Edradour

Reaction score
Hey very nice video series there! Tom over at Puppeteers Unite! also began a series showing the building of a monster using the Roly Pattern. Unfortunately that series stalled after building the mouthplate.

Here's the link to that one. http://puppeteersunite.com/?page_id=588

I look forward to the rest of yours Edradour!
Thanks for the praise Puppetainer! I'd studied Tom's videos before attempting my first puppet. His knowledge & abilities far surpass mine, so I'm also hoping he continues to make more videos. (My next build will be a Roly.)

Tom, I know you're very busy, and I know how time consuming it is to film & edit these tutorials, but I beseech you...more please! :insatiable:

Goochman

Reaction score
I just got a bunch of Fiskar scissors at Target on Clearance, might wanna check your local store.