Is It Normal For A Diz Film To Have No Hype?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The irony is pretty much implied, isn't it?

But really... how sad is that, A movie that basically says something that it doesn't even abide by? Basically they're saying, "Independent thinkers can save the day... but if anyone comes up with a new or brilliant idea in Hollywood, they have to wait tables or worse the rest of their natural lives."

GAH! At least make an honest movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently I've been thinking, how much (if any) of the Muppet merchandise that comes out around the movie will be a direct tie-in to the movie? We'll have to wait and see what kinds of character variants/special character costumes come from the movie. Of course if The Muppet Show: Season 4 or any other DVD comes out then those wouldn't be direct tie-ins (though I'd expect some sort of sticker on the packaging reminding fans to see the movie in theaters). But I wonder if there'll be more general Muppet merchandise or if the majority will directly relate to the movie (should the term "directly relate to the movie" apply if it the packaging includes the movies title logo?).

I'll have to do some research and see what the average amount of merchandise tie-ins for movies was (not counting the Palisades toys or anything else that came out years after the various movie releases).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But really... how sad is that, A movie that basically says something that it doesn't even abide by? Basically they're saying, "Independent thinkers can save the day... but if anyone comes up with a new or brilliant idea in Hollywood, they have to wait tables or worse the rest of their natural lives."
Well that's the peculiar nature of Capitalism. It may have its evils, but it also occasionally allows good things to be created. :wink:

At least make an honest movie.
Sort of like how the ancient Greeks and Romans envisioned their gods as arbitrary and cruel, because they correctly observed that the world was arbitrary and cruel. Whereas other religions envisioned a more optimistic, comforting view of God that seemed to contract the world.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well that's the peculiar nature of Capitalism. It may have its evils, but it also occasionally allows good things to be created. :wink:

Sort of like how the ancient Greeks and Romans envisioned their gods as arbitrary and cruel, because they correctly observed that the world was arbitrary and cruel. Whereas other religions envisioned a more optimistic, comforting view of God that seemed to contract the world.
We all work for the man! Think of all the screenwriters out there that make mere peanuts from the successful film they dreamed up. They could hide their work or produce it on an independent shoestring budget but that usually means an even smaller payday if they make anything at all! It's how the world works, but it could be worse!

MuppetMusings

Reaction score
Take another one of Disney's big upcoming films: "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" which comes out in May 2011. The first trailer/footage wasn't released until December 2010 (only 5 months before the film's actual release).

So I wouldn't expect to see a trailer for "The Muppets" (which comes out at the end of November) until June/July (possibly with "Pirates of the Caribbean 4", "Cars 2" and/or "Winnie the Pooh"), and I wouldn't expect them to focus on any real heavy promotion until after the summer (September, October, November).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd love to see the Arthur Crapsmas movie end with Arthur's independent thinking and clever ideas bankrupting Santa, and having a movie exec character walk out and say, "And that's why we always make the same 3 movies over and over... Goodnight everybody!"

Seriously, I used to LOVE Aardman animation. they had such great stuff. Even their first CGI outing, Flushed Away, was pretty fun (and it managed to keep in LOTS of British humor... especially jokes about the French). But A Matter of Loaf and Death gets a crummy DTV release (at least in this country) and a lame "We wanna be Dreamworks too!" CGI film gets to opposite (and possibly steal potential audiences from) a GOOD film.

We all work for the man! Think of all the screenwriters out there that make mere peanuts from the successful film they dreamed up. They could hide their work or produce it on an independent shoestring budget but that usually means an even smaller payday if they make anything at all!
And that's if the screenwriter actually gets a script produced. What's the percentage of screenplays picked up to people forced to be bus boys for the rest of their lives? Like 1 to every several hundred? And that's not counting favors given to hacks that keep making terrible projects because they're famous for making terrible projects the country eats up. Yes, there are a lot of people that have to prostitute their values and make utter garbage... but there are some that revel in the garbage. Plus, I've yet to see many indie films that are actually independent AND worth watching. Troma's, like, the only place that makes anything interesting.

Mupp

Reaction score
I am happy that an Iger led Disney has already produced the beautiful 2d Princess and the Frog, and the super old school styled Winnie the Pooh. A return to form, when pre 1960's 2d animation was beyond gorgeous(sadly by the time of Sword and the Stone, Robin Hood, etc the quality had fallen dramatically from the days of Fantasia and Alice in Wonderland)...
...The movie looks like a definitely Summer release, yet thank goodness it is not being released in the crowded and easily lost Summer release months. That would truly stink if theres no Muppet trailer for Cars 2, since that will be the most widely seen Disney kids movie. Pirates is more for the older crowd.

"Cars" world-wide gross: $461,983,149

"Bolt" world-wide gross: $309,979,994

"The Princess and the Frog" world-wide gross: $267,045,765

No offense, but do the math.

Just because a movie is CGI animated does not make it a kids movie. Maybe you said that because your biased and don't like Cars?

No doubt, hand-drawn animation is great, but STORY is the most important thing.

And yes, as I tried to tell you in the past, Bolt did better world-wide and got better reviews then The Princess and the Frog, just because you choose not to acknowledge it, does not make it false.

Sorry, but in the past I tried to be as nice as I could, my only choice now is to try a firm, no-nonsense tone.

But I'm sure that Jamie will defend you as usual.

As for the topic, its a LONG time until November, be patient. The film will get mentioned at the next D23 Expo in August, and will no doubt have trailers well before August.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
"Cars" world-wide gross: $461,983,149

"Bolt" world-wide gross: $309,979,994

"The Princess and the Frog" world-wide gross: $267,045,765

No offense, but do the math.

Just because a movie is CGI animated does not make it a kids movie. Maybe you said that because your biased and don't like Cars?

No doubt, hand-drawn animation is great, but STORY is the most important thing.

And yes, as I tried to tell you in the past, Bolt did better world-wide and got better reviews then The Princess and the Frog, just because you choose not to acknowledge it, does not make it false.

Sorry, but in the past I tried to be as nice as I could, my only choice now is to try a firm, no-nonsense tone.

But I'm sure that Jamie will defend you as usual.

As for the topic, its a LONG time until November, be patient. The film will get mentioned at the next D23 Expo in August, and will no doubt have trailers well before August.
Hey dude, that's not fair. :mad: <----angry piggy! While I do think Disney made a huge mistake in the past by dismantling their traditional animation division, I have always maintained that the story should drive every film. I'm glad Lasseter is actually leading the charge of bringing traditional animation back to Disney. You know what I think would be interesting? What if Pixar created a short film based on the cars characters, but used traditional animation! That sort of thinking worked for Buzz Lightyear.

"Princess and the Frog" and "Tangled" didn't gain a tepid response due to the princess theme or animation technique. Both were good ideas that suffered from weak storytelling! "Brother Bear" and a host of other films didn't pack the punch of Disney films past and they must have recognized that.

I believe that CG is being incorrectly used as a genre. For example, I liked "Despicable Me", from Universal, but why was it computer animated? What about it made that necessary? I can see the story just as easily told with stylish traditional animation and it's not the only picture out there that can be made traditionally. The answer is a cynical one. Most producers believe that's the way to get the kids to see their film. That somehow 2D animation isn't cool anymore. It's all wrong. A movie is a movie no matter what the format. I just miss seeing good traditionally animated films with good stories. It's an endangered species in the United States, but certainly not elsewhere.

Just my two cents.