Stage Height Options and rolling around

davidmartiste

Reaction score
OK - so, I have a few questions. I'm considering a simple and easy stage design that Noreen Young features in her video for a puppet stage that is built to the puppeteer's height.

I'm building a puppet program for elementary school assemblies. There are two ideas that I'm wrestling with. If I build the puppet stage standing height, I would assume to build it to my height 5'10" - 5'11". If I have shorter actors working with me, I'm assuming platform shoes would be in order and taller actors would have to duck a bit more [?]

The second option would be a shorter stage with seated puppeteers. We could use a seated device with casters to roll around. My concern is the noise the wheels would create on a wooden stage or - could you purchase something quiet enough? If anyone has used this option - any particular place I should look for plans on the rolling seats?

If you have experience in either or both options, I would appreciate any feedback - especially where the casters are concerned and where to start that build.

Blink

Reaction score
Hi David,

Most of the shoots I have puppeteered for, have had boxes with casters on them. They work very well. They key is to do your homework and try to find quality casters. There are some out there that are very quiet. If I were you, I'd go for the sitting down option; for a variety of reasons.

- Kanja

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Hi David,

Most of the shoots I have puppeteered for, have had boxes with casters on them. They work very well. They key is to do your homework and try to find quality casters. There are some out there that are very quiet. If I were you, I'd go for the sitting down option; for a variety of reasons.

- Kanja
Thanks so much Kanja! I'm getting a lot of input on the pros and cons of each method. I have a lot to consider now.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Perhaps using a strong mat underneath casters could also help reduce noise when working on wooden floors/stages?

practicecactus

Reaction score
Try to have at least two of the casters lockable. You don't want your stage shifting around especially if there's gonna be kids in front.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I got a lot of input from outside of the forum as well and decided to go with a standing stage - no caster chairs. It will be much easy for portability of the entire program.

Thanks for all the input.