Did 123 Sesame Street ever have a landlord?

Xerus

Reaction score
I always wondered during the early 70's if 123 Sesame Street ever had a landlord? There was this lavender anything Muppet wearing a hat, glasses, a suit, had gray curly hair and sounded like Jerry Nelson. And I was wondering if he was in charge of the building after seeing these episodes.

In one episode, I saw that lavender guy trying to clean up Oscar's can while he was away, even gave Slimey a bubble bath. And the guy wouldn't let the adults walk up the stairs to their homes because he had just cleaned them. And told them they had to wait, even though they had important business to take care of. When Oscar saw his now clean can, he was actually happy. Now he could mess it up and the guy became frantic when he saw Oscar ruin his good clean work.

In another episode, the adults were on the roof until it started to rain. They tried to open the door to get back inside, but the door was suddenly locked. Downstairs, the same lavender guy said he had locked the roof door for some reason. I can't remember why. Then he saw the rain, so he opened his umbrella and left unaware he left the adults trapped on the roof in the wet rain. The adults were trying to find many ways to get help. They called out to a lady in an apartment building window, but she couldn't hear them. They tried dumping mud on Oscar's can to get his attention. But Oscar just played with the mud instead of helping them. Finally, Big Bird was out taking a bath in the rain when he saw the adults on the roof. He went up the stairs and unlocked the door and the adults cheered for Big Bird and went inside. But then they realized they accidentally locked Big Bird out, so they let him back in.

So I've been wondering if that lavender guy was the landlord who seemed to do stuff that annoyed the tenants those two times.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Muppet Wiki's article on 123 claims that Susan and Gordon own the building. Is there any "official" source (direct from Sesame Workshop) to support that? Since I've never seen the episodes with the lavender Muppet character, now I'm confused...

zns

Reaction score
I think it was someone named Winnie Wiggins. She is pictured in the 1978 book "The Sesame Street Cookbook". If anyone can upload a photo, that would be great.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Muppet Wiki's article on 123 claims that Susan and Gordon own the building. Is there any "official" source (direct from Sesame Workshop) to support that? Since I've never seen the episodes with the lavender Muppet character, now I'm confused...
Yeah...I had always thought that Susan & Gordon were the landlords too. The only others I saw living in the building were Bob, Maria & Luis,Ernie & Bert lived. No idea where David Mr. Hooper etc. lived. I mean I knew that the lived on SS but not in the 123 apt. complex.

Gerbert

Reaction score
I dont know why,
But I can see Kermit Love as the Landlord..

Sesamo2012

Reaction score
thats a good question as well, to be honest was Bert and Erine the Landlords or Susan or Gordon or even Bob cause they all seem to be sharing one place to live, and i wonder how much Rent did each of them pay as well. but over all that 123 house was amazing.

Xerus

Reaction score
thats a good question as well, to be honest was Bert and Erine the Landlords or Susan or Gordon or even Bob cause they all seem to be sharing one place to live, and i wonder how much Rent did each of them pay as well. but over all that 123 house was amazing.
Bob lived in a different building. His door was right between the Fix-It Shop and Hooper's.

Xerus

Reaction score
I don't really know for sure if that lavender guy was the landlord. But he did seem to do things that were landlordish.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at Muppet Wiki, the episode where the cast gets locked on the roof is episode 1285, which is currently available on iTunes. Too bad his name wasn't mentioned in the episode.

Xerus

Reaction score
Thank you for the link, Minor Muppetz. So that lavender guy was a building inspector, eh? Sorry, I thought he was the landlord.