TV shows with long gaps between season sets

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Considering the current long wait between The Muppet Show's third and fourth season DVD releases (when we still don't know when season 4 will come out), I thought it'd be fun to start a thread about TV shows that had season sets on DVD, then the releases stopped for many years before the next was finally released. We all remember the two-year gap between seasons 1 and 2 of The Muppet Show, but what else has there been?

Here's what I know of:
  • Rocky and Bullwinkle - I think there was a five-year gap between the releases of seasons 3 and 4
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (original series) - season 8 was released two years ago, and season nine will come out this august
  • Happy Days - I don't know what the gap was, but I know there were a few years between the releases of seasons 1 and 2 (and seasons 3 and 4 have been released since)

I'm thinking there are more to mention, but can't quite remember what (I'm thinking Growing Pains is one of those shows).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season One of Green Acres was released in late 2004, Season Two was released in early 2005, and Three in late 2005... that's it, the other three seasons have yet to be released.

The first two seasons of Leave It To Beaver were released sometime in 2007, and then they released an entire series set a few years later, or something like that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Season One of Green Acres was released in late 2004, Season Two was released in early 2005, and Three in late 2005... that's it, the other three seasons have yet to be released.
I wasn't talking about shows that had seperate season sets released within a year of each other, or during the same year, and I especially wasn't talking about shows that started but haven't completed their seasons on DVD.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are either gaps or complete dropouts as far as I can see. WB screws stuff up all the time, except for 75% of the Scooby-Doo output and 80% of Batman. if I listed all huge gapped or unfinished sets, we'd be here all night. And yet, if the show is BRAND new, they're guaranteed a super expensive special edition set with no problems.

What truly truly gets me angry is when there's a huge gap between a season set and then either we don't hear any news and then either they plop out cheap 5 episode for 10 dollar sets or Cartoon Character Catchphrase Collections of 10 episodes for 20 bucks on 2 disks.

Seriously... way to stop internet piracy, guys.....:rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wasn't talking about shows that had seperate season sets released within a year of each other, or during the same year, and I especially wasn't talking about shows that started but haven't completed their seasons on DVD.
Well then, let's try to be a little more specific then, shall we? :attitude:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I just thought of one with a strange twist. In 2005, I bought Season 1 of "Sigmund & the Sea Monsters" released on Rhino (as all of the Krofft shows were at one time). Not too soon after that, Rhino to the best of my knowledge went out of business, so we STILL haven't got a release for Season 2, which was the last. I am hoping it sees the light of day along with the final 2 Seasons of The Muppet Show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just thought of one with a strange twist. In 2005, I bought Season 1 of "Sigmund & the Sea Monsters" released on Rhino (as all of the Krofft shows were at one time). Not too soon after that, Rhino to the best of my knowledge went out of business, so we STILL haven't got a release for Season 2, which was the last. I am hoping it sees the light of day along with the final 2 Seasons of The Muppet Show.
I don't really follow Sid and Morty Krofft stuff, but the rights were all over the map, bouncing around like crazy. After Rhino folded, the rights bounced around until they got to Genius, and as soon as Genius was about settled, they went under. I guess Vivendi has it now, I know either a full series or best of H.R. Puffenstuff was released not too long ago... maybe it's just a matter of time.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Both Twin Peaks and Fame had horrendous waits between the release of their first and second season sets...and iirc both were due to changes in contract/ownership issues.
It took five years (2001 vs 2006) for the second season of TP to be released and four years (2005 vs 2009) for Fame's second season...and after two years, no sign of season three being on the horizon (there were six in all) Given the recent movie remake and how it was a total precursor to Glee, i'm amazed it's been as long a wait as it's been.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think there was a wait of a few years between seasons 1 and 2 of Growing Pains.