Overrated Movies

Drtooth

Reaction score
For me, it's The Lion King. It's one of movies I never liked as a child, never got me. I don't understand when everyone starts to compare new animation movies with TLK like it's a God. Many things were stolen from Kimba the White Lion, I do believe in this. Here the comparison goes -- http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm
I don't say that I hate TLK or anything like that. I like it, but all my fondness decreased to nothing because of its intolerable level of overrated-ness of fellow movies appreciators.
I honestly don't believe it was stolen, so much as a VERY bad coincidence. There are 2 Dennis the Menace characters, both came out at the same time...

We know the US version:

But how many of us know about the UK version that came out exactly the same time?

The sad thing about Jungle Emperor Leo is... his American name was this close TO being Simba because someone in the US owned the copyright to the obvious name Leo the Lion (how many Leo the Lions have you seen in your lives?).

As far as the plot goes, both sort of lift from Bambi... Lion King does lift sort of from some play, if not Hamlet... and it really seems if they were going to steal things on purpose, they would have been a LOT more subtle towards it.

Now, the coincidence gets WORSE when you mention Atlantis, since it has the same thread as Nadia: Secrets of the Blue Water.

But hey... it's not like anyone hasn't stolen from Disney before... (cough! Enchanted tales).

I already said what their most overrated film was. Something that isn't enjoyable on every level, and is very preachy.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Plus, Kimba was still in the public domain at the time (its production company went bankrupt), so Disney was pretty much safe as far as ripping off the premise goes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus, Kimba was still in the public domain at the time (its production company went bankrupt), so Disney was pretty much safe as far as ripping off the premise goes.
Well, it was probably PD in Japan... but it depends on the status of who owned the international dub rights at the time. I could get into a big dub rights thing... sometimes the studio that did the dub owns it internationally... hence why a lot of Saban dubs of Tatsunoko cartoons (they had a deal sometime in the 90's) got lost to Disney during the sale of Fox Family. Of course, Gatchaman is a REAL mess. There were 4 dubs, Sandy Frank (Battle of the Planets), something else I can't remember off the top of my head (G-Force), Saban (Eagle Riders), and the semi-defunct ADV (that actually gave us the TRUE version of the show... lost to the company being semi-defunct).

Back to Kimba, they claim they never heard of the series when they made Lion King. That DOES sound suspicious, but I've seen some of Kimba, and it does have distinct differences from TLK... I can't get them off the top of my head, but there's a LOT of human interaction. Now, there WAS human interaction in the Timon and Pumbaa show... but I wouldn't think to say a show where T and P worked at a Fast Food place where an angry bear threatened to mangle 'em if they put onions on his burger would be considered canon.

Kimba's a little more like Bambi... so... I'd say if anyone was inspired by anyone, they were inspired by each other. Sigh... if we only got a TRUE version of Emperor Leo with subtitles....

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
The Hangover. I find it completely unfunny. Well, except for the airlplane wank/Bin Laden line from the bearded guy in the beginning.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone's said this yet or not but I think Avatar was very overrated...

somethingofafan

Reaction score
I have to agree with the posters earlier in this thread who said that Titanic was overrated. It was okay, but it wasn't this transcendent, life-changing experience everyone made it out to be (no movie is).
Still, that expreience of deflating hype prepared me to like The Phantom Menace for what it was...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Phantom Menace would have been a MUCH better movie had the pod race NOT been the main focus and Darth Maul actually HAD a more of a role. DM was the COOLEST thing about that movie, he comes out for 5 minutes, 10 minutes before the movie ends and dies.

What...a...waste.