"Funky Chimes" Music

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Does anyone know what season of Sesame Street was the first with the "funky chimes" background music heard during the spiel announcing who funded said program ("Funding for this program was provided in part by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) ... and by public television stations and their contributors.")?

According to all those who were old enough to have followed Sesame Street from the beginning, they would assume it to have been around the 4th (1972-73) or 5th (1973-74) season.

Thank you,

Ben

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I believe that's correct,however, I don't believe Roscoe Orman's V/O accompaning it was first used until Season 21 or 22.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I noticed that in a few of them Luis would announce that. I believe that was late 80s or early 90s.

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, the funky chimes music debuted in Season 4 (1972-73), and it was not until Season 23 (1991-92) when Roscoe Orman's voice accompanied it. Only a year later, the funky chimes music was replaced with a more up-to-date calypso version of the theme, making it exactly 20 years that the funky chimes was used on the show.

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Actually, the funky chimes music debuted in Season 4 (1972-73), and it was not until Season 23 (1991-92) when Roscoe Orman's voice accompanied it. Only a year later, the funky chimes music was replaced with a more up-to-date calypso version of the theme, making it exactly 20 years that the funky chimes was used on the show.
Wow! That means that the spiel heard over the old music was short lived ...

superboober

Reaction score
That would be about right, for I never heard any voiceovers during the 80s episodes--when I actually stayed tuned for the chimes, which I'll confess scared me to death back then, sounding almost apocalyptic at age 3.