How to start making puppets?

dmoss

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those videos, Paul! Could you list which order would best for viewing them? I've watched the Supplies video, and you've got me terribly intrigued and interested! :smile:

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Thanks! the order is as follows...
1. Supplies Needed To Make a Monster Puppet
2. How To Make a Monster Puppet Body
3. How To Make a Monster Puppet Mouth
4. How To Make a Monster Puppet Mouth Board
5. How To Make a Monster Puppet Tongue
6. How To Make a Monster Puppet Head
7. How To Make Monster Puppet Eyes
8. How To Make Monster Puppet Eyebrows
9. Adding Monster Puppet Hair
10. Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet

dmoss

Reaction score
Paul, I loved it! My creative juices are going wild now! I've got so many ideas racing through my head, and I never DREAMED that I would be able to make my very own puppet! You've given me the tools that I'll need to throw my hat into the ring, and give it a shot...thanks so much for posting these videos! You've made a lot of people very excited, I'm sure!

I'm kind of wondering about the foam rubber portion, though...I know it's kind of impossible to show what the foam looks like inside the head when you're placing it, but where should the V end up once inside?

So excited to try this! :embarrassed:

pachududu

Reaction score
Hi I am passing through Washington D. C and I know some places to buy puppets, and accessories.
thanks

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
DMOSS, the "V" should end up in the back of the puppets' head. And you need to pull the other end of the foam down snug against the top front part of the mouth board, so that you have a place to "sandwich" your four top fingers. I know that part is difficult to understand without seeing the inside of the puppets' head at that point. But try it and play with the foam in terms of shaping the head comfortably for you. It is all trial and error. Good luck! ..:smile: ... Pauly

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I did a search and found people talking about this here, so I thought I'd ask instead of starting another thread. Does anyone know what other wire you can use for the arm rods? I like coat hangar wire and I read that piano wire works also. But I wanted to know what other wires work in the eveny that I can't find piano wire or wire hangars.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
There's always welding rod which you can find at most lumber stores. Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and places like that.

Edradour

Reaction score
I have been buying (3/32") piano wire from a local hobby shop, but I've also discovered that Ace Hardware carries it too.