Your Thoughts: Dark Crystal and Labyrinth Anniversary DVD's

muppet baby

Reaction score
Just a fyi there are 4 kinds of DVDs for booth movies out here in germany.
For the labyrinth i found 4 versions so far.
1. old one from 2002 from sony pictures widescreen
2. special edition 2004 from columbia tristar in 16:9
3. anniversery edition 2007 from sony pictures 16:9 2 DVDs
4. Labyrinth and dark crystal collectors pack 2008 ( booth films in one box ) from sony pictires.
Seems to be the special edition ( written on disk )

Its almost the same for the dark crytal.

I bought me booth movies in 1 box witch seem to be the special editions for a bargain price.
that is really great that you where able to get the bargen price dvds . I love to find those kinds of DVDs in places . :smile:

Reaction score
i was happy enough with the dark crystal aniversary dvd but i did wish they included the whole storyboard, that would have been awesome :smile:. and maybe a tonne of behind the scenes photos.

SKANZO

Reaction score
Why are people assuming she is embarrassed about Labyrinth? I have not seen anything quotes from her talking trash about Labyrinth. Maybe she wasn't asked to do the audio commentary? I don't think she is the type of actress that tries to hide from her past films. I could be wrong, but I never sensed that from her, from any of the interviews I have read with her over the years.
Unless someone has a link to a statement or interview where she bad mouths Labyrinth, I wouldn't assume she dislikes it or discounts it from her film career.

my 2 cents.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why are people assuming she is embarrassed about Labyrinth? I have not seen anything quotes from her talking trash about Labyrinth. Maybe she wasn't asked to do the audio commentary? I don't think she is the type of actress that tries to hide from her past films. I could be wrong, but I never sensed that from her, from any of the interviews I have read with her over the years.
Unless someone has a link to a statement or interview where she bad mouths Labyrinth, I wouldn't assume she dislikes it or discounts it from her film career.

my 2 cents.
I don't see where this thread states that Jennifer Connelly bad-mouths the film. However, she has been notoriously evasive and dismissive when talking about Labyrinth throughout her career (until recently). It's a well-known fan fact; seek out all of her interviews where the film is mentioned if you can find them. They're out there, but it's hard to sift through all of them to see that tiny blurb here or there where the question is quickly dismissed.

She has never been unkind, but Labyrinth is something she's reluctant to talk about when asked. Perhaps it's something she was asked about a lot and she got tired of the question, but it is the film that launched her career and has more of a following than other big budget features that she will comment about. I can understand her being embarrassed by a performance done as a teenager when she can do much better work now. I still enjoy her in the film.

She isn't very Hollywood and I find that refreshing. She also seems uncomfortable with interviews and public appearances in the first place. However, she still will answer questions about the ill-fated Hulk film. Connelly is kind of odd and that's cool. Maybe she's just hiding in general. She got to work with Jim Henson on his last film as a director. Few actors would be able to shut up about something like that.

Nobody really knows why she has avoided the topic - or why that particular topic in thread has been resurrected when we're already onto the Blu-ray release discussion? Brian Froud commentary! Whoohoo!

SKANZO

Reaction score
The special editions of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal already have Brian Froud commentaries on them. Is there actually anything NEW on these Blue-Rays, I noticed the one post did have some extra's in BOLD, but I wasn't sure if those were new or not.

Also, personally I think the digitally restored and cleaned up Dark Crystal is actually not a very good version to watch. It's TOO clean, I think it actually makes the movie seem more "fake", the older prints with the dust and scratches feels more "weathered" and believable. Some films just aren't meant to be ultra fine and clean.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The special editions of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal already have Brian Froud commentaries on them. Is there actually anything NEW on these Blue-Rays, I noticed the one post did have some extra's in BOLD, but I wasn't sure if those were new or not.

Also, personally I think the digitally restored and cleaned up Dark Crystal is actually not a very good version to watch. It's TOO clean, I think it actually makes the movie seem more "fake", the older prints with the dust and scratches feels more "weathered" and believable. Some films just aren't meant to be ultra fine and clean.
Sony doesn't clean up their movies as much as other companies so I wouldn't expect a complaint. In fact, many people actually complain that they don't give it that "fake" look. However, unless you're old enough to have seen the original run in the theaters, the subsequent transfers have lost their initial luster. The original wasn't as weathered as some might imagine. Restoration is good. What Disney did when Buena Vista released the VHS many years ago was bad. The saturated colors were terrible.

WackaWacka92

Reaction score
I do kind of agree with the consensus here -- that the 25th Anniversary Edition isn't that good -- but I do, for some reason, like it. I mean, sure, it shouldn't have been released after the Collector's Edition, implying, on Sony's behalf, that it is a better version, but it isn't that bad when you look at some other releases. The Coen Brothers' "The Big Lebowski" was re-released as a "Special Edition" which contained no discernible differences to the regular edition, aside from a sky-rocketed price tag. I do not have "Labyrinth" in my collection so I can only speculate from what people have said here, and reviews of it, that it is much the same - little features compared to previous releases. I do think that, at some point, all Muppet films should be released again in one boxset, or at least individually, with a lot more bonus features -- reflective documentaries, directors and casts that are fans of the Muppet films speaking about their greatness, etc. But, until the day that either they are released, or a 50th Anniversary of each is released, we'll just have to cut our loses and accept the features we have.

------------------
"Come on, bear. Burn rubber." Kermit the Frog
"This is a narrative of heavy-duty proportions." Dr. Teeth
"We picked up a weirdo..." Fozzie Bear