Winnie the Pooh

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I protested the overuse of Pooh in the past 15 years, I am absolutely thrilled by the look and feel of another well focused Pooh project that everyone can enjoy. The 2-D animation is brilliant, don't get me wrong... but seeing Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood with Christopher Robin and not as a super hero detective hybrid with some red head girl feels me with such classic joy. I always loved those marvelous old WTP shorts from the 60's and 70's, I loved the New Adventures series on ABC in the 80's... even in the 90's some of the TV specials and movies were really good too.

In short, this movie is the way WTP is SUPPOSED to be. A nice classic heartfelt story with wonderful characters and beautiful animation over lush backgrounds. I am delighted to say I'd see it.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
What I'm really glad to see is that the movie, just like the old theatrical shorts, will be based on A.A. Milne's original Pooh books.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I found this endlessly beautiful, delightfully funny, pretty much what Pooh SHOULD be (not being a CGI Superhero/detective). My only complaint is that it was all together too short. Though, I'd think any added elements to the story would have made it clunky. It has a pretty small run time, but even then, the film really zooms along. I guess that's much better than dragging along, I guess.

But it still was great to see classic 2-D style animation on the big screen once again. I hope that the Wizards don't completely overshadow this film. I think we all want to see a follow up or two to this one.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
wow....as a trained, but outta work, 2D animator, this thrills me. I studied animation at college, with the aim of being a disney animator (got contacts and everything) but that dream was killed with 1) a$16000 per year intern college course over 3 years so $48000 total - that money to us in the UK is extreme, i could buy a flat with that - our courses cost around £1000 to attend 2) CGI being the way forward - which i hate, because it puts people like me in 9-5 jobs.
Im so happy its 2d again, I grew up with winnie the pooh, my mum is daft on him (her winnie obsession rivals my muppets obsession)
and craig ferguson? 'MON THE SCOTS (as we say) lol
But - is this being released in the UK?

SSLFan

Reaction score
I hope that the Wizards don't completely overshadow this film. I think we all want to see a follow up or two to this one.
Well, Pooh came in 6th place this weekend at the box office. Even more odd is Cars 2 was 5th. I hope this doesn't make Diz decide to kill the 2d department like they were a couple years back.

Anyone think that giving this film a release date in the middle of the summer, a time when big action blockbusters run high at the box office, and not to mention it was released the same date as the final Harry Potter film, was kind of like box office suicide? I think this thing should have been released during the fall-winter months at least, either October or December (Christmas). Putting it out at this time of the year was not the brightest idea, IMO.

Pooh could have been Disney's big Christmas movie slot, since Muppets are obviously taking Thanksgiving. Seriously, Disney better pull out all of the stops to promote the Muppets film. I will cringe if it ends up flopping like Pooh (unfortunately) did.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Pooh came in 6th place this weekend at the box office. Even more odd is Cars 2 was 5th. I hope this doesn't make Diz decide to kill the 2d department like they were a couple years back.

Anyone think that giving this film a release date in the middle of the summer, a time when big action blockbusters run high at the box office, and not to mention it was released the same date as the final Harry Potter film, was kind of like box office suicide? I think this thing should have been released during the fall-winter months at least, either October or December (Christmas). Putting it out at this time of the year was not the brightest idea, IMO.

Pooh could have been Disney's big Christmas movie slot, since Muppets are obviously taking Thanksgiving. Seriously, Disney better pull out all of the stops to promote the Muppets film. I will cringe if it ends up flopping like Pooh (unfortunately) did.
I really think it came out at a weird time... though, didn't the last crop of Potter movies do only so so? It was a wonderful movie and had a wonderful animated short at the beginning, and had it been released a certain time of a big blue poop, I'd have no doubt it would have done better.

Yeah, I'm kinda glad that Muppets didn't get buried in the Summer, because... let's face it, there's NO WAY it could have done will in a competitive summer like this. I'm still worried about Puss in Boots and that TERRIBLE sequel to a TERRIBLE movie about penguins. but then again, Christmas is going to see those Chipmunks again, in another garish fartcom. Something tells me this will do gold on video, but I really worry about Disney's 2-D animation studios after this one and flubbing the release date of Princess and the Frog.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have doubts about the legitimateness of tpeople saying this movie is completely hand-animated: based on the previews, the animation looks so smooth and so flawless, it looks like it HAS to have SOME aide from computers.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
I have doubts about the legitimateness of tpeople saying this movie is completely hand-animated: based on the previews, the animation looks so smooth and so flawless, it looks like it HAS to have SOME aide from computers.
as an anmator I object to that. People take years training and learning the skills. People said that about beauty and the beast too, and while there is some CGI in it, (ie the ballroom background) the rest is painstakingly drawn.
Put it this way, it takes 12 drawings for one second of animation.
Plus it looks like that cartoons from the 70s - and CGI didnt exist then.
People can have talent you know, we just forget what hand drawn animation looks like now that were in a vastly CGI/ flash animation society

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey, hey, hey, I'm not knocking animators or lack of talent, I'm just saying I have yet to see hand-made animation that looks as flawless as this... even The Princess and The Frog's animation doesn't look as smooth as this does... it just makes you wonder about any possible aide.