Winnie the Pooh

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have doubts about the legitimateness of tpeople saying this movie is completely hand-animated: based on the previews, the animation looks so smooth and so flawless, it looks like it HAS to have SOME aide from computers.

Uh, people animate on computers... even 2-D traditional has computer coloring and editing. Cels have been obsolete since the late 90's.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
sorry i probably overreacted, bit of a sore spot for me since it should be my career....and it isnt. I feel like I was born in the wrong time. If d been born 20 years sooner I would probably have my career in animation. (or be doing an internship with Henson :wink: ) so apologies :smile:

TSSD

Reaction score
I really think it came out at a weird time... though, didn't the last crop of Potter movies do only so so? I
Umm... it broke the records for both Opening Day and Opening Weekend. It's doing fine. :laugh:

As for the movie, I saw it today with my 6 and 4 year old cousins, and I loved it. It was cute, funny, simply perfect.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Umm... it broke the records for both Opening Day and Opening Weekend. It's doing fine. :laugh:

That one did well, no question... but the last 2 or 3 before it came and went without much of a bang.

But really... their own Cars 2 out did Winnie the Pooh several weeks in. Yeah, I totally think this will be one of those times where the DVD will basically have to make up the budget. Still... It really didn't deserve such a poor performance. It was a very well done movie, if a little short. I'd get the Soundtrack only for the Backson and Tigger 2 songs. It's nice to see a GOOD Pooh project.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
actually all the harry potter films, here in the UK, were box office smashes. Maybe thats because its british kids? they tried to get american kids for the US market, but good ol' JK was having none of it.
But dont get me started on UK/US casting - youll get one of my speeches again :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
actually all the harry potter films, here in the UK, were box office smashes. Maybe thats because its british kids? they tried to get american kids for the US market, but good ol' JK was having none of it.
But dont get me started on UK/US casting - youll get one of my speeches again :wink:
The first few were smashes, but somewhere in the middle, things started to lag... They did okay, but they never lived up to the first 3 until now. I think Craplight helped eclipse the last Harry Potter film's potential.

beaker

Reaction score
Is it wrong I'm more a fan of 1989-modern Pooh than prior to "New Adventures", and that I love the Tigger/Piglet/Huffalump films? I didnt care for the fursuit early 90's nor the modern cgi tv cartoon Pooh; but I love the look of modern hand drawn 2d.

A lot of "2d" is absolutely digitally aided. Futurama began that look in 1999, and the Simpsons movie debuted the more modern Simpsons look of 3d aided scenes while maintaining a mostly traditional look.

However, some people may be forgiven if they saw the blu ray or dvd of Alice in Wonderland or Fantasia and thought those were cgi aided...the level of animation back in the 30's through 50's was so insane...that it's odd to see the 60's through 80's Disney features that greatly lacked that intense richness and flow.
But 3d aided 2d shouldn't be scorned...Iron Giant and modern Miyazaki for example is an example of amazing 2d with 3d element animation...while 2000's Treasure Planet and 1999's Titan AE are an example of 2d/3d hybrid that just didnt quite work.

Disney pretty much just did a trailer for Pooh 2011 8 months ago, slopped it into theaters with no fanfare...and that was that. Not sure what they were thinking, but at least they stopped DTV cheapquels and the terrible practice of taking OLD animated sequences or tv episodes and infusing them with new intro/outro animated sequences to call it a "movie"(see Huffalumps Halloween, Tarzan and Jane, etc)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it wrong I'm more a fan of 1989-modern Pooh than prior to "New Adventures", and that I love the Tigger/Piglet/Huffalump films? I didnt care for the fursuit early 90's nor the modern cgi tv cartoon Pooh; but I love the look of modern hand drawn 2d.
I pretty much liked all the older Pooh stuff, New Adventures, some of the TV specials and I can't remember which one of the movies I saw, but I dug it...

I WASN'T a fan of the fact Disney marketed the heck out of him so much you couldn't find a bleeding Donald Duck shirt or plush at the Disney store for almost 10 years> When they dressed Pooh up as a Dalmatian, that was the last straw for me.

BTW, I didn't detect ANY 3-D trickery used in the movie. Not that there's anyway that they'd need it. Maybe the bees when they swarm, but even then, they looked hand drawn digital. The animation in this movie was just wonderful, completely traditional style (digitally colored and edited and blended together, but ALL shows are like that now).

Disney pretty much just did a trailer for Pooh 2011 8 months ago, slopped it into theaters with no fanfare...and that was that. Not sure what they were thinking, but at least they stopped DTV cheapquels and the terrible practice of taking OLD animated sequences or tv episodes and infusing them with new intro/outro animated sequences to call it a "movie"(see Huffalumps Halloween, Tarzan and Jane, etc)
I would have liked for them to release it opposite the Smurf dookie, and see if kids flocked to something that didn't look like an epileptic seizure. But it opened opposite the last Harry Potter movie... I guess as an alternative for younger kids... but movies for younger kids are a crap shoot anyway. Look at the Elmo movie. That was like a no brainer money maker, except for the fact that the key audience of 3 year olds was too young to be taken to theaters.

They promoted the movie via trailers since last year, yet there was no tie ins, no massive hype, it's like they were so afraid of the film hurting Cars' Box Office... and it was beaten by Cars in it;'s like 3rd or 4th week.

it's almost like the film's theatrical release was an advertisement for it's release on DVD in a few months. That's where it will make its money back. And it IS a shame, since this film was marvelous... though, again, short.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The original Pooh cartoons were definitely masterpieces. The "New Adventures" show, wellllll, it was OK. I did watch it a lot but it was more like your standard kiddie show than the originals had been.