Someone screaming for Jem DVD's?

Drtooth

Reaction score
There was an Archie series? I barely remember that...I mean I remember watching everything from Rubix, Pacman and Pitfall to Richie Rich..but dont recall that. I did
stumble across the new Archie comic Kevin Keller#1, which I was quite happy to thumb through.
It was from the late 90's. It was actually quite good. I'm not a huge Archie fan, but I quite enjoyed it. There was a single disk 5 episode release from NCircle... but all I have is the DTV movie based on that version of the show.

There WAS a 1980's series, where Archie and the rest were kids and 80's cliches abounded... but that's not available anywhere.

Larxene

Reaction score
There WAS a 1980's series, where Archie and the rest were kids and 80's cliches abounded... but that's not available anywhere.
Do you mean The New Archies?

http://youtu.be/vqv7rfcJOr4

And I'm very excited for Jem. I've had it on tape for years, bought the VERY overpriced Rhino dvds and was ticked off they never got to the Stingers. I can't WAIT to rip the songs from them in decent quality at last!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yep... That's the one. I watched some recently, and I have to admit... wasn't impressed by it the way I was with Weird Mysteries.

I tell yah... Rhino DVD's died and took the Hasbro license with them. Sony bought them up, but they HATE anyone over the age of 5 buying cartoon DVD's, so they sat and sat on them until Shout sub-licenced them. Now we're getting some really complete Transformers stuff.

Still, I hope the Mr. Potatohead cartoon stays well underground. The Mr. Potatohead Puppet Show? Someone's got to release that one.

Larxene

Reaction score
It was 80's cheese. I believe Beverly Hills Teens was out at the same time - late 80's wasn't real big on depth in children's cartoon storylines.

Rhino did a real disservice to both Jem and My Little Pony while they had them. The sets were horribly overpriced and incomplete and hoping for them to release more was like pulling teeth. If it wasn't Transformers or Gi Joe, seems they didn't give a crap. The box art for MLP was wrong on top of everything else... that show needs a re-release too, it was also left unfinished and without the "N Friends" cartoons like Potatohead Kids and Moondreamers. I'm pretty sure there's no release of the two original television specials either in their unedited forms... then again, not sure if Shout is gonna release the unedited Jem movie. There's a few extra minutes in the version that wasn't chopped up to air as the first five episodes.

Is there a difference between the Rhino Transformers set and the Shout Factory one episode wise? I'm sure the bonus content is different but I'm not big on rebuying a set unless there are major differences in the episodes themselves. I saw Shout got rights to the Japanese shows which is a huge "YAY" in my book.

Shout Factory is, in general, a YAY in my book though. They got Punky Brewster, Captain N and a lot of other nostalgia shows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Shout Factory is, in general, a YAY in my book though. They got Punky Brewster, Captain N and a lot of other nostalgia shows.
I like shout, but I'm VERY ANNOYED they didn't release any more Inspector Gadget, only for Fox to botch the license. Meanwhile, Mill Creek is releasing a lot of DIC shows in complete sets (if you don't mind the fact they're in envelopes...:rolleyes: ). I know they're supposedly going to release ALL the Littles including the 2 movies. Still, I hope they get the Heathcliff license. NCircle was releasing single disks a couple years back... everything NCircle did is being released by MC.

I'm sure Shout will get the rest of the Ponies and everything else out there too. Did they release the G.I.Joe movie? I remember hearing they did... I wish they'd rerelease the Trasnformers one. I missed that the week Sony had it available.

Larxene

Reaction score
Not sure on the GI Joe movie, is the Transformers one really out of print? Ouch... I do have it but it's an ouch if it's not currently available.

Mill Creek I hear both good and bad about - Shout is losing it's DiC license so I guess they're the only hope now =/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not sure on the GI Joe movie, is the Transformers one really out of print? Ouch... I do have it but it's an ouch if it's not currently available.
A year after it was released, I could barely find it used, and the used prices were exactly the same as new was at Target. Then I looked it up online and a new one cost as much as a car. Yeah, I'd say Sony really barely cared if it was out other than the summer the live action mess was out, and not even keeping it around when that reached home video. They SHOULD have kept it in print or at least put it back into print every time a TF movie came out.

Mill Creek I hear both good and bad about - Shout is losing it's DiC license so I guess they're the only hope now =/
Losing? They haven't released anything DIC since the last AOSTH volume that was an online shop exclusive.

Larxene

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea about the Transformers movie. That's rather crappy of them, I'd think it'd be in print due to the fact the DVD sets are and the new movies are bound to generate interest in the original. Talk about missing out on an excellent opportunity to make money...

Last I heard, losing as of July 31st and Mill Creek would be picking those up. I only found out because apparently the Captain N DVDs have a flaw in them and I can't get a replacement disc now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Last I heard, losing as of July 31st and Mill Creek would be picking those up. I only found out because apparently the Captain N DVDs have a flaw in them and I can't get a replacement disc now.

Mill Creek sort of has a deal with Shout to release single disk versions of G.I. Joe.

I seriously wish they'd coax WGBH to release the Arthur series (A Cookie Jar production) the way they did the horrid Postcards from Buster. When they actually started releasing season sets of Arthur themselves, they charged like 40 something bucks for 10 episodes. Yikes. You can get 10 episodes of PCFB for 5 bucks... not that anyone's asking for it.

beaker

Reaction score
Do you mean The New Archies?

http://youtu.be/vqv7rfcJOr4

And I'm very excited for Jem. I've had it on tape for years, bought the VERY overpriced Rhino dvds and was ticked off they never got to the Stingers. I can't WAIT to rip the songs from them in decent quality at last!
Niiiice...I do remember this now. Man, 1987-1990=such a freaking amazing time period to be a kid. I feel bad for people too old or too young to be able to appreciate and live through the 80's.