The complete and utter futility of being a fan of anything...

beaker

Reaction score
I'm what you would call a "selective" Disneyana fan. I love 20's through 40's Disney, some 80's stuff, LOVE the 90's Disney stuff and am so so on modern stuff. For instance, I consider 90's Goofy(the movies, tv show), House of Mouse, and Timon and Pumba some of my ALL time favorite Disney stuff(including that Goofy theatrical short a few years ago) It's beyond pathetic Disney got rid of their 2d animation in the early 2000's. Their Princess and the Frog and new Winnie film more of a bone tossed to fans(very good bones, but still)

I loved TMNT 2003. Violent, mature, really explorative story arcs. Though I did lose interest after a couple seasons. I consider the TMNT 2007 film one of the BEST Turtle things since the 1990 film. I have zero interest in the TMNT 2012 Nick stuff

Batman Im so so on. I of course love TAS-Batman Beyond, but modern Batman series hold little interest to me(Brave Bold, The Batman, etc) LOVE Teen Titans, and Young Justice rocks. And that new dtv Batman Year One movie looks amazing. (dtv DC films are starting to get good)

Im a huge Sonic fan, both of the SatAM(hate the goofy one) 1993 one, to some extent Sonic Underground, and Sonic X(and the 1996 film) And of course the games and Archie comics series(HUGE fan of Sonic ongoing and Sonic Universe) But Ive never gone on any Sonic forums or anything. I've just heard its a bunch of idiot furrytard "fans" with a bunch of screws loose. If I was Sega, I'd be ashamed. How comes Sonic has been around 20 years but the average age/mentality seems 14?

For me, periods of intense Muppet fandom comes and goes. I was lucky to have grown up in the early to late 1980's where Muppets were pure magic. 1991-1995 I wasnt too much into em, but from 1996-2004 I was rabidly a huge Muppet fan, then again when the online videos came on. Now days I feel a bit burned out, kind of a wait and see approach with this movie situation(which sadly WILL determine the future of all Muppet projects)

I consider myself a huuuuge Rocko's Modern Life fan, and even tho there's fandom cries for new content(shorts, special, online content) with the idea that modern life would really throw Rocko for a loop...I know it won't happen. However, Joe Murray continues to create fun new work in exclusive online content with new series and shorts.

Regarding the "cheap look" of modern films/tv/animation. Films are finally starting to make DV look good. Just see any new David Fincher film starting with Zodiac.
(sadly Michael Mann's films look terrible now with DV)
Sure, NOTHING looks as amazing as Alien, Blade Runner, 2001, etc...but they were working with amazing lighting, cinematography techniques, etc.

With the "flash look", it's just the affordable non red tape way to do things...for better or worse. It allows for quicker turnaround, smaller teams and more content...afterall, isnt it mostly about the writing?

Finally want to say this: I LOVE modern Simpsons. I cant stand Family Guy or Seth Mcfarlane shows in general. Early 2000's simpsons started to suck, but I find 2007-current Simpsons to be on par or even better than early-mid 90's Simpsons.
(1995 was an amazing Season for Simpsons)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh no, not all debates are bad but I've seen a lot of fandoms boil down to who is sleeping with whom and their sexual orientation... and that's ALL the fandom cares about. See icon, that fandom is particular is notorious for it. I'd love to discuss the story, characters and plot holes but all anyone cares about is what guy is with what other guy.

And no, fans are not required to like remakes. I don't like every remake - I'm no fan of the new My Little Pony... but at least I gave it a chance instead of whining and complaining and wishing I was back in the 80's.
That's what I'm talking about.

Personally, when it comes to certain things, I can like both the old and new or like things selectively. The only things I can't find superior or enjoyable on any level is remake video games in 3-D because I was never good at the 3-D games. I always walk of ledges trying to walk straight. as far as games go, for the most part I'm stuck in 8 and 16 bit... though I find the Ultimate Muscle games for GC and Playstation superior to the M.U.S.C.L.E. Bandai NES game.... of course, anything's better than that clumsy mess of a game.

There are too few people who give them a chance, then there are people who generally like something UNTIL one fan picks it apart and then everyone hates it. That was the 2k3 TMNT in a nut shell.

Im a huge Sonic fan, both of the SatAM(hate the goofy one) 1993 one, to some extent Sonic Underground, and Sonic X(and the 1996 film) And of course the games and Archie comics series(HUGE fan of Sonic ongoing and Sonic Universe) But Ive never gone on any Sonic forums or anything. I've just heard its a bunch of idiot furrytard "fans" with a bunch of screws loose. If I was Sega, I'd be ashamed. How comes Sonic has been around 20 years but the average age/mentality seems 14?
I have a thing about the furries that ruined the Sonic fanbase. Among other things, when was the last time you saw Eggman/Robotnik merchandise? Where's the outside of the Snoopingasusual I see meme fanbase for the villain? Where as with Mario, you ALWAYS see Koopa next to him. I wish I got that pricy mini-figure Dr. Robotnik/Robo-Sonic set, but couldn't afford it, and was ticked he wasn't sold separately. And yet, I see all this Silver the Hedgehog stuff...

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Finally want to say this: I LOVE modern Simpsons. I cant stand Family Guy or Seth Mcfarlane shows in general. Early 2000's simpsons started to suck, but I find 2007-current Simpsons to be on par or even better than early-mid 90's Simpsons.
(1995 was an amazing Season for Simpsons)
I'm with you on modern Simpsons. The movie (which I thought was great) was a real shot in the arm for the series.

And I'm with you on Family Guy (& co.) too. I still watch Family Guy, mostly because my students do and I like to stay up on it. And maybe once per episode there's a really genuine good laugh (usually based on a nostalgia joke, but so be it) that reminds me of why I started watching it to begin with. But in general I find it too mean spirited and too lazy in the writing to really enjoy it much.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I'm with you on Family Guy (& co.) too. I still watch Family Guy, mostly because my students do and I like to stay up on it. And maybe once per episode there's a really genuine good laugh (usually based on a nostalgia joke, but so be it) that reminds me of why I started watching it to begin with. But in general I find it too mean spirited and too lazy in the writing to really enjoy it much.

Family Guy got too dang popular for it's own good and found an audience with gamers who actually find cruel jokes funny. Sometimes you get a very good episode, but it lost the charm it had when it was a small independent little show that had a cult fanbase. Meanwhile all the GOOD writers are on Cleveland and especially American Dad. There's a couple people from Pepper Ann working on AD, and that's one of my favorite underrated kid's shows of all time. Still, I think FG ha one or two good seasons left when it was canceled the first time. it's just been on too long.

Simpsons is big hit or big miss lately. I LOVED the Oscars episode where it managed to mock all these Oscar nominated animated movies and shorts (even had the creator of Wallace and Grommit watch a parody of his own stuff... a WELL DONE parody). but then again, there are so many Lisa episodes... where the heck is Maggie? She's my third favorite member of the family after Bart and Homer. She needs a plot to herself.

Still, Futurama, AD, and the Critic are my top favorites... also LOVE Dilbert, after rewatching it on hulu...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Furries ruin every fanbase they invade. They are the reason why I dont follow the general Sonic fandom, just the crazy gamer fandom that nitpick over his eye color. Those furries have more than a few screws loose. It makes me ashamed to draw anthro style (unrelated)

As for the simpsons...I think 07 is when I stpped watching it. It was getting too hit or miss. There was nothing about the episodes that kept me entertained. But the show is just suffering from "its been on too long" syndrome.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Furries ruin every fanbase they invade. They are the reason why I dont follow the general Sonic fandom, just the crazy gamer fandom that nitpick over his eye color. Those furries have more than a few screws loose. It makes me ashamed to draw anthro style (unrelated)
That's true... they took over Tiny Toons, Heathcliff (specifically the Cattillac Cats), and Rescue Rangers as well.

Simpsons and FG BOTH suffer from on too long syndrome. I'm shocked people think KOTH should have been on longer when I think they ended at just the right time. Some things don't need to go on forever.

Larxene

Reaction score
That's the fandom that made my ex start shaming me for liking anime and video-games. Kinda ironic...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish D.W. were here to elaborate on this...

I heard that angry Soap Opera fans finally had someone listen to them about ABC taking 2 of their soaps behind the barn and shooting them. But now they're online exclusive shows (the medium is a LITTLE too young for that), but we're still getting the amazing brilliant idea that will save Daytime television for all time and make everyone involved legends... The Chew.

:eek:

:embarrassed:

:frown:

Who the smurf is going to watch a show called The Chew? Is it sponsored by that Big League shredded bubblegum stuff or something?

Oh wait, it's like the VIEW but they eat food on it, so they cleverly found a word in the dictionary that rhymed with View and based a show around that. Man... I cannot wait for the Shoe, the Tutu, the Few, and the Poo.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Hey, I'd watch something called The Poo. I bet it would be appropriately named XD

TSSD

Reaction score
Holy crud, I thought you were joking about there being a show called The Chew. Then I Googled it. :embarrassed: