Snow On Sesame Street

MuppetRob

Reaction score
Are there any clips other than christmas specials on you tube that show it snowing on sesamestreet ?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the seventies, Sesame would often have a week of shows where it would snow on the street. It was always something fun to look forward too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In the seventies, Sesame would often have a week of shows where it would snow on the street. It was always something fun to look forward too.
Phil beat me to it.

This was before my time, obviously, but I understand they would do a week's worth of shows where it was snowing (and I'm assuming those episodes would timely air sometime in December or January).

Clip-wise, I don't think there's anything on YouTube, but there ARE plenty of photographs and still shots from these episodes: there's the classic Ernie and Bert peering out of Gordon and Susan's window with snow on the sill, I've seen pictures of Susan and some kids building a snowman next to Oscar's can (to his chagrin, obviously), Big Bird on the phone from his snow-covered nest, and the 40th anniversary book has a panoramic shot of the set covered in sno with Luis in the Arbor, and Big Bird with some kids on the stoop.

Oscar said in a magazine it doesnt' snow much anymore on the street because it's "too expensive", but I can see why that is: in recent years, the set moved into a larger studio, and was spread out a bit more, meaning, there was a lot more ground and surfaces to cover with fake snow, as opposed to during the 70s and 80s when the set was in cramped little studios, resulting in less grounds to cover. It's really evident too: CEOSST has plenty of snow everywhere, ESC looks as if people had been shoveling a lot, because there's really only snowbanks instead of really good coverage, and the EW special "Happy Holidays" saw hardly any snow on the ground at all. A Sesame Street Christmas Carol did see a bit more snow, but somehow, it didn't really look like fake snow covering the ground so much as it did perhaps like a layer of some kind of glittery mold or something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, here's a couple of snow pics I can get...

zns

Reaction score
The one with Big Bird I remember seeing from the parenting book, "Learn at Home the Sesame Street Way".

SesameMike

Reaction score
Not only was there a week of snow episodes back in the day, but they were true-to-life in that the snow didn't just disappear suddenly. There was maybe a week of shows in which the snow gradually "melted", and you'd see smaller piles of snow here and there.

One snow episode that stands out in my mind is when one of the adults (Bob or David, not sure) was about shovel off the top of the balustrade on the 1-2-3 stoop. The Count appears with the intention of "counting the snow". But the adult explained that it would take weeks to count the many many powdery snow particles. As you might have guessed, The Count was just fine with that. But they eventually came to a compromise: he would count the shovels full of snow, of there turned out to be six.

zns

Reaction score
It would be neat if Sesame Workshop could put these into their iTunes store. That would really be something.