Has anyone ever lost a pet?

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Thanks, Zack. Like I said, we're coping, but it's kind of rough. We've had Marta since she was a puppy, and since I was eight...and she and Toby, our other dog, have pretty much grown up together, so he misses her pretty badly.

Yes, I know from the Rainbow Bridge - I saw it posted on a web site for people who had lost a pet, and they invited people to post tributes for their favorite furry and feathered friends, so I posted a tribute for Marta. There are lots of tributes for dogs and cats, of course, but I saw some for birds, horses, ferrets, weasels...even Marjan, a 30-year-old lioness from the Kabul Zoo in Afghanistan.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh my God, when I read these stories, especially yours Kathy, it gives me shivers, and it left me close to tears. My cat, Beth, died about two or three weeks ago. I didn't mention it at the time, because I felt bad that when another member's cat died, I couldn't think of what to say and so didn't respond. But anyway, maybe I'll feel better for telling my story here.
She was about 12, which some people told me was pretty fair for a cat, and I guess it was, but at the time I was thinking of stories I'd heard about older cats and so didn't believe it. Anyway, I don't know what happened to her, but about a week or so before she died she started staying in my room all the time. Now she and I were inseperable, so she used to hang out on my bed on nearly a daily basis. She still came and went often though, and I have a strict rule that there are no animals allowed in my room at night when I'm going to bed.. This is because I like to sleep with my door shut, and there's nothing quite like the joy of waking up at 4 in the morning to the sound of scratching!
:rolleyes:
Anyway, Beth just stayed on my bed all day, only going out to eat, and I even let her stay with me at night because I felt bad for her. I got the feeling that there was something wrong with her, but my mom laughed it off as her just loving to be with me, and told me Beth still came out to spend some time with her and the dog every morning as Mom was getting ready for work. I felt better, but pretty soon Beth stopped leaving the room for food. She stopped moving around within my room as much too, and mostly just lay in one place. The weekend before she died, we had plans to go to see my aunt in Delaware. As one might expect, I didn't feel right about leaving her, (funny how pet owners just know these things even if they don't want to admit it, isn't it?). Anyway, when we got back, we found that she had thrown up on my bed, even though I had left the door open.
It was all down-hill from there. We put a pillow on the floor for her, even though she seemingly preferred the floor itself, which kind of disturbed me. I think by the end, she didn't even have strength to pull herself onto the pillow from the ground. Anyway, at one point during that night, she still wasn't at her worst yet, and she sought refuge on the bottom levil of my bookcase. Even though it was obviously a tense and upsetting night for me, I was amused by that. Anyway, as I said she wasn't using her pillow much, so I again picked her up and put her on my bed. The next morning she could hardly move at all. I may not have known what was wrong with her, but whatever it was it seemed to be affecting one or both of her back legs, because every time I would touch that area, she would cry. Now I don't mean a normal miow, but rather a long, drawn out, high-pitched and heart-rendering cry! I tried to make her more comfortable, but I think I only made her worse!
Anyway, this next part is the part I feel really bad about, especially after reading some of your stories about things you did for your pets. I was a wimp! I have a history of not handling delicate situations such as others' depression, serious illness or death very well. So true to fashion, I spent most of that day in the livingroom watching TV, while my cat llay on the floor in my room. I guess I was trying to distance myself from her, but from the look of it, you would never have guessed how close we had been all her life!
Anyway, that was my first night of class for this schoolterm, and when I got home I couldn't even bring myself to go in my room which I normally would. Mom did though, and she told me that Beth had died.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for sharing about your pets, i wouldn't have thought that this thread would still be around about like 6 year later!

I haven't been on the forums much over the past few years, but i always read peoples stories in this thread that i started many years ago. I'm very sorry about you cat Fragglemuppet, my cat is a little over 12 now and i know she's old, she was my first real furry pet and i've had her since i was in 6th grade, but i know she's been living a good long life and she's put up with two BIG "little" brother dogs!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Well, one of the other forum members was discussing her brand-new puppy, and this thread popped up in "related threads," so I went in and checked it out.

I know the feeling, Kate: we didn't take it too well when the vet told us that Marta had a huge mass in her stomach, and he was baffled as to why it wasn't causing her any pain. Marta, on the other hand, just wanted to know when lunch was.

She was always the Greta Garbo type, kind of cool and reserved, occasionally temperamental, frequently stubborn...kinda like me, actually. But she was very gentle, and good with kids.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
wow, it's been so long since this thread started but i just had to put that my 16 year old cat named boots died yesterday. She lived a good long life and I'm so happy to have had her so long. i could not ask for anything more. it was hard to get rid of my dog back then in 2003 when i started this thread but Boots was a cat i have had for most of my life. she was my little Boostie baby. She always looked very young and was just like a kitten her whole life. Her time had come and she was loved very much.

Rest in Peace Boots 1995-2011

Katzi428

Reaction score
Wow...kind of weird that I discovered this thread today:
A lot of my pets have passed away.But my cat Jebbie is very sick & is being put to sleep next week . (Our regular vet was away & will be back next week) :
My mom found Jebbie in a bush when he was a kitten about 13 years ago.He was meowing his little head off so loud that my mother thought it was a bird. It was Election Day for governors & the candidates were Jeb Bush & Buddy (whose last name I can't remember) So my mother said that whoever won, we'd name the kitten that. Jeb Bush won,so we called the kitten Jeb. (kind of fitting too, since he WAS found in a bush!:wink:)
VERY long story cut short, Jebbie got a cold that he just couldn't shake. We took him to the vet numerous times . He (Jebbie) would get medicine but it would only help for a day or so.
The poor baby is now sleeping in my mother's closet & (to be honest) if he makes it to next Wednesday we'll be lucky. :concern:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
i'm sorry Kathy, it was so hard seeing Bootsie go but i am glad she is not suffering anymore. i wish you the best for Jebbie.

Katzi428

Reaction score
i'm sorry Kathy, it was so hard seeing Bootsie go but i am glad she is not suffering anymore. i wish you the best for Jebbie.
Thanks Zack,
I checked on him this morning & (luckily) he was still breathing. I looked in on him yesterday morning & for a few seconds it looked like he wasn't breathing! He sure scared me!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
its coming up on a year since my dog noah left us last year...i still think about him everday

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I have lost several pets (two dogs, cat, a bird, a hamster and countless fish), and it never stops hurting. I had to put my Nicky to sleep in February, and I cry about it every few days or so :frown: