Childhood Muppet toy memories

robodog

Reaction score
So what fond memories does everyone have of muppet stuff they had growing up?

The first time I was obsessed with getting a toy was the Fisher Price Rowlf puppet. I saw an ad for the Fisher Price Muppet collection in one of my mom's magazines and immediately fell in love with the Rowlf puppet. I wanted it bad. My mom searched all over for it and even had my grandfather searching for it several states over. They never found it. There has been and always will be a Rowlf shaped hole in my childhood. I was so obsessed with this thing my mom made up a song "I wish I had a Rowlf Dog" that she'd use to sing me to sleep.

At one point my favorite toy was Fisher Price's Scooter doll. I carried that thing everywhere. It was battered and dirty. His arm was resewn several times, his glasses were glued together and his rubber shoes were chewed but I loved him. I remember taking him to day care one day and some of the kids thought he was a Fraggle.

There was one birthday when all I wanted was Fisher Price's dress up Gonzo. I did get him. I remember watching a show about Bigfoot with my family that scared me senseless. I wanted my Gonzo. I knew if I got Gonzo I'd be able to be less scared of the program. The problem was Gonzo was all the way in another room. To get him I'd have to go in there by mysel. It took me awhile but I managed to gather up the courage to go get Gonzo alone. That was the start of a lifelong fascination with Sasquatch. I may be the only person on the planet that associates Gonzo with Sasquatch.

I remember being given a choice between getting a plush Fraggle or going to the carnival a second time. I chose the carnival. This was a mistake. I know that now.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I had a Rizzo The Rat plush (still have him). He made everything so much easier. I got him when I was about 4 and he was so much bigger than I was when I first got him! (I was a relatively small child) About a year or so later, I had to go to a blood test and all I knew was that there was a needle involved and I grabbed Rizzo before leaving the house.
At the blood test, I didn't look at the needle or anything else, I buried my face in Rizzo's shoulder and cried, but when it was all over and done, I was so much happier and I didn't know it then, but I'd formed a habit that day: The habit of crying into Rizzo's fur.

My dad used to let me have Rizzo sit at the table with us and he'd let me put real cheese on a plate for him :smile: I'd end up eating the cheese myself of course, but, it was still fun.

Having Rizzo with me helped me deal with my parents' divorce and the numerous custody battles and moving. I lost him for a time, during the final custody battle last year, but, after my dad and I moved and finally settled in and were able to look through my things, we found Rizzo and I had never been happier. I got my best friend back :smile:

I have real friends nowadays, but Rizzo will always be my first friend and he'll always be important to me, as he helped me through some of the toughest parts of just being a kid.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well, there's a picture of me as a young lad (perhaps, I'll get it scanned and posted it here sometime...perhaps) sleeping with a Gonzo plush toy. Than I remember one birthday my mom got me that Target (pretty ironic since I work there now) "Zing into Spring" Kermit plush, which I did carry around for sometime.

beaker

Reaction score
I lucked out. Found a 12" Boba Fett toy and a Scooter doll at a salvation army when I was very little. Man I miss the 80's!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------------
At some point in the early '80s I had a Kermit lunchbox. No idea what's become of it... But my most vivid Muppet toy memory is actually of my little brother's plush Cookie Monster. He was, I think, more of a puppet because you could put your hand inside him to make his mouth move to "eat" things. My brother managed to rip a hole in the back of his mouth but this was a fun thing, as we then would play with him going around the house "eating" food or whatever silly nonfood item most amused us that day! :insatiable: AAAHHMM NOM NOM NOM NOM!
--------------------------

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I don't think I had toys, but I know I had some readalong book and tape sets - I can still recall the cover to The Muppets Take Manhatten Readalong book. I also had some records. And a Scooter tree ornament, which we still have.

Pork

Reaction score
When I was a youngling I remember visiting my Grandma and Pa's house. My Pa's study was the most awesome room in the world. It had Muppet wallpaper and there were books everywhere! Also they had a Grover puppet and Cookie Monster puppet. They were really awesome puppets, I wonder where they got them.

BornToWemble

Reaction score
Oh many I have many fond Muppet toy memories! There was a good deal of Muppet stuff in the house. Mom would put on the Muppet Movie when she wanted a nap (though it drove her crazy because for a long time I kept singing "Amackadoo" all the time and she didn't know what the **** was going on...until she woke up from her nap early once and realized I had been trying to sing "America")

Anyway... I remember quite a lot. Mostly I had a Grover plush doll and I loved to play 'Super Grover" with it. I would put an easter egg dye cup on his head and I think a towel on his back and swing him around and around.. And his arm came off all the time and my grandmother would sew his arm back on.

Then I had a Bert and Ernie doll that had plush bodies and plastic heads with hair on them and my dad used to sing a silly song about them walking down the street to come tickle me with them. XD

I also had a small Big Bird that got a lot of love. I also had a Big Bird plastic tricycle which I used for a long while after I outgrew it.

There was also a Kermit Jack in the Box I had. I think it was Muppet Babies. I think I also had a Muppet Babies Animal doll and the Christmas MB Kermit from McDonalds (I know where that one is but IDK what happened to his clothes)

The last thing I remember from when I was little was a Kermit hand puppet. I think it was one of those bath toy puppets.

Also special mention is the little Kermit the Frog plush my Step-Grandmother got me at the Smithsonian. Though I wasn't a little kid when.

Lizzie's Lair

Reaction score
Growing up, I had a Grover hand puppet that my Mum used as a prop teaching her students. I loved that puppet but was always weirded out by the fact he had no lower body. I fought my Mum daily as to which of us would take him to school. A few years ago, my Mum bought me a figurine of Super Grover (love!) and his phone box, complete with interchangeable heads, cape and trench coat. Best gift ever!

Bellygrub

Reaction score
I had a Gonzo the Great doll I lugged around everywhere. He was often accompanied by an Animal Puppet (his eyebrows moved!) and a Scooter with hard rubber shoes.

I also had the little action figures that you stuck to the end of a little stick and bounced around. I used to take egg cartoons and make playsets for them.

Then there were the bean bag thingys. Those were pretty cool. I remember having Gonzo, Fozzie and Piggy.

My Mom would often put on the Muppet Movie Soundtrack on the ole record machine and I'd use my various toys to make my own version of the movie.

My household was pretty Muppettastic growing up.