Size Puppet

FUZZYRED

Reaction score
Hey guys, when I tries to build puppet and I am worry about the size. Does anyone know how size the real muppet puppet they use. Because I tries build elmo and not sure what size he is.

callmemilo

Reaction score
28 inches sounds about right to me.... I'd say, when in doubt, search for reference pics of the actual puppet against something you can measure. For example, with Elmo, he's always meeting kids, playing with props, etc. If you can get a pic of him next to something familiar, like an apple or something, you can compare the sizing in the image and generate an accurate scale from that.

MuppetLabsBoy

Reaction score
I agree. When I met Elmo a little while ago he seemed to be about 28"-30"

cjl1217

Reaction score
Well a variety of muppets are all kinds of sizes. I wonder what the actual size of , well say the puppets on The Puzzle Place. I've seen some behind the scenes pics of it on Jim Martin's website and they seem to be pretty big. I'm designing a muppet girl inspired by this show and many others, well the sketch concept. I can't tell you it's defiantly not for beginner builders.

Here's the page to the behind the scenes PP pics: http://jimmartinproductions.com/page11.htm

Animal31

Reaction score
My puppet runs about 23" from head to foot and still seems large to me? It may be because me using Kevin as reference would be incorrect as he is a large fellow himself...

jcnegron

Reaction score
Well, I made the same question a while ago in this same forum. The general answer was the smaller the better as it is easier to manipulate, with the exception of full body puppets. I made the mistake of doing my first puppets very big, and with the weight of the fur, the wigs and the clothing they got very heavy. Female character were heavier because of the wigs, and they were usually played by female puppeteers, so that was a problem. I think also that we tend to focus on the puppets so they often appear to be larger than what they really are.