Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Celebrity singing "Why don't you get things started" was present, but it makes sense though. There wasn't actually an audience to start with, soon the audience had a hobo, and "Why don't you get things started" was sung by the hobo. I liked it.
Is it sung by the same person as in the soundtrack? I've read the name of that celebrity, one I don't recognize and can't remember, and I thought the hobo was a man (the book refers to the hobo as "Hobo Joe").

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I got back from seeing The Muppets a little over an hour ago, and I'm still giddy with pure joy over the experience!

Huge adult crowd (some had kids in tow, but from what I observed most of them were without rugrats), who got into it just as much as my sister and I did. Everyone was having a great time! Every single joke hit it's mark, and every single heartstring was pulled. It was a beautiful tribute to the Jim Henson era, pretty much flawless in my eyes, and I can't wait to see it again!

To say I loved it would be an understatement, but it's the best I can do to describe how wonderful I thought it was.

I'd like to declare a well-earned round of applause for the writers/cast/and crew who put so much love and effort into this film. I still can't get the smile off my face! :smile:

12Medbe

Reaction score
Is it sung by the same person as in the soundtrack? I've read the name of that celebrity, one I don't recognize and can't remember, and I thought the hobo was a man (the book refers to the hobo as "Hobo Joe").
Hobo Joe sang it in the same voice as the soundtrack.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Was also thrilled to see Marvin Suggs return, and even have a line in the finale!
I had seen rehearsal footage of the finale on youtube, which included the whole audio (or at least most of it, something about the beginning didn't sound right), and there was one part that I thought was Fozzie, but then after reading The Muppet Mindset's review and seeing that Marvin Suggs sings a line in a song, I figured that was him instead (I noticed the voice being a bit more energetic, but I thought it was due to the line).

I read that Wayne and Wanda have dialogue. Did anyone catch who did Wanda's voice (Somehow I think Leslie Cararra would make a good Wanda, and I think she performed in this)? I'd be surprised if David Rudman wasn't link.

It is interesting, I've read the reports that they wanted to include Charles Grodin in this, because he was in The Great Muppet Caper, but hadn't really heard much about them wanting any other actors from past Muppet movies in this (well, besides Kathy Griffin, who was deleted from the film, and Whoopi Goldberg). I wonder if there ever was any consideration to include cameos by the likes of Charles Durning (is he still alive?), Austin Pendleton, Michael Cain, and others. It's also interesting how they said they wanted an Elmo camo, but never mentioned any other Sesame Street characters. Although Elmo was around during the classic era (depending on how one may define "classic era"), with them wanting to focus on classic-era Muppets, I would have expected them to want Sesame Street characters who had been around closer to the beginning, like Ernie, Bert, or Grover. But I guess Elmo would have been treated more like a celebrity cameo (and Elmo sure is current) than there because he's a Muppet (though I figure they would have wanted a Sesame Street cameo because of the Muppets).

12Medbe

Reaction score
Yeah, Charles Durning is still alive. btw, Whoopi Goldberg is in the film, she comes in to help with the phone lines.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I just got back from seeing the film and like so many of you, it absolutely left me speechless with joy! There are so many things that I loved about it. I thought the music was amazing! I loved the humor, the plot (boy, was Tex Richman evil!), and of course seeing all the references from past Muppet adventures. I thought Jason Segal tied everything in extremely well. Walter was too cute and I hope he will continue to be a part of the Muppet family for future productions.

This movie was a Muppet fan's dream. There is NOTHING bad I can say about it. It is classic Muppets all the way. Not that watered down slightly kiddy version we have recieved in the last decade or so. This is a movie to be proud about as a fan.

The Muppets were my first love as a kid and Jim Henson was my childhood idol. The magic and memories I have of watching The Muppet Show, going to see the movies, and even playing with my Fisher Price Muppet puppets with my Muppet records, are the things that made my childhood. I couldnt stop my eyes from watering up as the gang was back together and singing The Muppet Show theme song and Rainbow Connection. But best of all, the amazing finale and the wonderful and awesome surprise that awaited Kermit as he opened the theater doors. At this point, tears running down my face. Pure Muppet magic.

I will most definitely be seeing this movie several more times! #1. Because I loved it! #2. To enjoy it on the big screen. #3. To support it in hopes for more Muppet movies. My next viewing will be on Friday... which happens to be my birthday. Nothing better than spending 2 hours with The Muppets on your birthday right? :smile:

So what's next for this movie besides and epic opening weekend? Let's hope this film gets nominated for Academy Awards! That would rock! :big_grin:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Drove nine hours today after seeing the midnight-oh-one showing last night, but couldn't TALK to anyone in the car about it because of spoilers! Arghh! Had a few more things to add that I thought about. Random thoughts (see midnight-oh-one-showing reference and drove-nine-hours-today reference above)....

I didn't get why Scooter said he didn't go onstage? Are you kidding? The kid practically had to be blasted off the stage at times. But his nervousness at hosting duties, and chagrin at seeing the audience in their undies was funny. Maybe you have to be the host for a few years before you can get all the way to naked....

We don't really get to understand THAT Tex Richman can't laugh, or WHY Tex Richman can't laught. BTW--cute. Cute name.

I liked Fozzie's vulnerability all throughout. He is struggling with his life, but doesn't blame the others for not coming to his rescue. The chemistry between him and Kermit when Kermit offers him a way out made my heart go pitter-pat.

I liked that ALL of the women in the movie managed to be strong and supportive of the man (weirdo, frog) they loved without being limp noodles. Camilla loves Gonzo and understands that he feels like he has a reputation to live up to as a world-class plumber, but she knows in his heart he's still the performance artist who craves the grip of spandex. I like that Mary genuinely understands Gary's protectiveness and worry about Gary. Someone made the comment that Mary just jealously (and babyishly) wants Gary all to herself, but I'm going to respectfully disagree. That's not what Mary was doing at all. Yes, Mary felt hurt that Gary forgot the things that were important to her (Duh--male of the species) but her real angst in the movie was knowing that Gary is going to have to make a difficult choice, and the way he chooses is going to impact his future happiness--as well as hers. Gary can't be happy until he knows Walter is going to be okay, is going to find where he really belongs and Mary understands that. Walter growing up, and Gary LETTING Walter grow up, are both necessary steps for GARY growing up into a grown man, not just a big brother. And of course I love that Piggy comes and helps Kermit and supports him but DOES NOT knuckle under to his "You give up everything for me, but I don't want to commit myself." There seemed to be an awful lot of guy-growing-upness in this movie.

I think, in retrospect, that I am glad they did not include the big fight scene from after The Muppets Take Manhattan wedding. I've been thinking about this all day (I know you're shocked) and my reasons are myriad and complex. In the first place, I've had quite enough of Kermit being unspeakably unkind to Piggy for the past several years. I don't think I really want to see him taunt her with his lack of wanting her after everything he would have just put her through in filming TMTM. Let's see--he knows she loves him, not just casually, but with the forever-kind-of-love that he is wary of, he writes a scripted part JUST FOR HER in the movie in which she plays his fiancee, has to wear a wedding dress, walk down the aisle with him, has to sing that he's everything that will make her happy and endure him singing about how she will be everything he needs....and then insults and rejects her. I don't want to see that. Not in an extended version. Not at all. I'm now warily carrying around my junior novel in the sack I bought it in several days ago because I'm afraid I'm just not going to be able to stomach his hypocrisy if I read the part where he does that to her--and then accuses HER of being melodramatic. During their walk in Paris, he actually says, "...you make me hurt you," (soooo not true) as though him rejecting her was somehow HER fault in being just like she was when he fell in love with her. I LOVE that she defies him in this new movie with "This is how I am! Deal with it." (I hope I am quoting that accurately.) The Piggy I saw in the movie last night has made her peace with what she can live without (him) and what she can't--staying with him in a relationship where she commits and he doesn't. If you go back through ALL the old Muppet Shows and movies, can you think of ONE TIME Kermit actually apologizes for his part in their arguments? And twelve years later after supposedly saying those awful things that I don't want to witness, he has the audacity to come back and tell her "we need you"--not I need you. She calls him on it, and beautifully. Here is another objection that I have with the that fight scene--it invalidates years in which they were considered by Jim and company and the world at large to be married. This is convoluted, but stay with me--if you haven't abandoned this rambling already! It is impossible to reconcile ALL the DIFFERENT stories that we get with ALL the DIFFERENT timeslines and plot twists--it just can't happen. As much as I love IAVMMC, I don't think Whoopee Goldberg is God, or David Arquette is a Good Humor Angel. I can't reconcile Kermit and company making their first big movie under their "rich and famous" contract with the fact that they--apparently--then return to college to graduate. This is like looking at the work of Escher--we recognize a cohesive whole without quite being able to point to it. But the whole that they created definitely at one time included the fact that Kermit and Piggy were married. Frankly, having heard they were estranged in the movie, I assumed that one of the choices might be that they were separated--still married but living apart--because frankly THAT MAKES MORE SENSE that what I've heard the book implies. I can forgive a Kermit who just can't continue to live at the level of drama that being married to Piggy would entail--in all its wonderful craziness--more than I can like a frog who would toy with the affections of a pig who well and truly loves him--though he is undemonstrative and sometimes unkind.
There is a wonderful irony to the song, "Pictures in my head." Kermit sings longingly to the pictures of Fozzie, Gonzo, the Mayhem and Chef. There is another picture in that hallway, and it's one he can't even look at. "Is there more I could have said?" What do YOU think, Kermit? When they have collected everyone but Piggy, Kermit tries to insist that they have every one. (One wonders why--if they have everyone they need--Kermit felt compelled to even write a part of Piggy in all the other movies.) When Kermit gets back in the car after once again failing to commit to having genuine feelings for Piggy, his friends are all disappointed and sad but he won't even entertain their dismay. He KNOWS he's wrong, and they know it, too. (Because THEY ALL WITNESSED the aforementioned fight that I don't want to see!) And they (1) want him to go after Piggy in the first place and (2) are dismayed that he could not convinced because--as we all know--Kermit's friends just LOVE to see him unhappy and miserable all the time. Why do you think ALL of Kermit's friends were always trying to push the relationship along? Because they want him to be MISERABLE? Or because--like Mary's pushing of Gary--they know he can't be truly happy until he decides what he really wants to be--alone or happy.

Please excuse me. Was I, um, shouting? (steps gingerly off of soapbox) I am sleep-deprived and just a little dizzy with the thought that Kermit might just be getting it right this time.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I think we all wish for the DVD to have lots of deleted scenes and bonus material.

I know you've mentioned this a few times, but I can't remember the threads and don't feel like searching every thread I expect it to be brought up in, but you've said that in the script there was some sort of surprise during the recreation of the opening. Was this same surprise in the finished film? I've heard the audio from that version and I didn't notice anything from listening to the audio (well, I noticed some celebrity singing the "why don't you get things started?" line, if that's it).
Was totally shocked to see there were empty arches in the actual movie. That was one of the few things i REALLY did not like. Especially with the fullsize monsters; that one lone arch really stood out unnessecairily and there was really no good reason for it...it just looks like "we didn't have enough money/time to rebuild another fullsize monster". The ONLY possible reason i was able to think of as to why they would have chosen to have empty arches would have been as some kind of "tribute" to the Cast Members (ie Muppeteers) no longer with us. But unless the filmmakers explained this in interviews, i don't think many people would "get" that (and i only came up with that explanation for lack of any better one) and a far stronger choice would have been to fill those arches with The Country Trio (the Jim/Frank/Jerry Muppets) and a Richard-esque whatnot.

What i was EXPECTING to be in there was Jack Black tied up in his chair.