Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

zoebell

Reaction score
see, i figured the movie within the movie of TMM wasn't the real story. because i've heard kermit and piggy say they actually met on the muppet show and the stuff in the movie was just for that

the way the two canons exist, their personalities are always real (unless it's an adaptation), but the actual events of the movies are usually just "for the movie," as we always know when they break the fourth wall

and the real life muppets are them in press appearances, the muppet show and muppets tonight. and some of the specials i think. and i guess them watching the movie in TMM is real too.

so by referencing TMS stuff in this new one, it does seem to blur the line a lot more than the others

gbrobeck

Reaction score
One thing I've been wondering... the scene where everyone is sleeping in the studio in hammocks... Fozzie says he hopes it doesn't rain through the hole in the ceiling. I realize that's a partial reference to earlier in the film where it rains on Fozzie's outdoor dressing room in Reno (Save the cushions!). But is it also a reference to the end of The Muppet Movie? (The lights exploding and everything, creating a hole in the ceiling that a rainbow comes in through.)

12Medbe

Reaction score
Might take my grandparents to see it, they'd probably enjoy it yeah?

Puckrox

Reaction score
The Muppet Movie tells the story of how a frog from nowhere swamp made had a dream to make millions of people happy and along the way he found bunch of friends who became a family and followed their dream...
The Muppet Movie is and will always be my favorite of all the Muppet movies. There's just so much magic - so much wonder - in it. Nothing beats the ending when the roof breaks through, and suddenly the cardboard rainbow is replaced by a real one. It's one of the most beautiful moments in movies.

muppetsforever

Reaction score
I have now seen the movie twice and although there were a few things that rubbed me the wrong way (and maybe I'm looking to deep into this) like the way Walter was talking about the different deptartments of Muppets Studios: seemed like a plug for the ride/adventure at Disney Land and at the end where they light off the fire works: looks like the snuck in the classic Micky Mouse head, I truly enjoyed the movie and will be adding it to my collection when it comes out on video :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
That's not true! Becuase there are TMTM refrences, so it exists in this movie
In the "Muppets 2011" film, they have fun with the "meta" notion that the original Muppet movies are movies the Muppet gang made and starred in(and Walter was a fan of) *and* that the original films are loose canon and references within the movie itself. I was just meaning in the overall "canon", as stated in numerous recent junkets with Kermit and Piggy interviews, they state that this too is just a movie and they are not married. Anything that happens in the movies is not true canon except within that specific self contained continuity(which movies like muppets 2011 and VMX reference) *whew* They need to get Charlie Kauffman to write the next Muppet film!

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, it's funny the way they do that. this particular one, because it's about their history and the muppet show, which IS canon, confuses things a little more. not so much in the basic plot, that the villain is going to tear down their theater- but in the relationships between the muppets themselves, because they're essentially the same in reality. that's why the kermit/piggy stuff gets confusing, with people thinking they must really be married or at least together

beaker

Reaction score
I've seen most of The Muppet Movie. I've seen enough to get all the refrences in The Muppets. I've seen the beginning even when they're all in a theater to watch it. (that is one of my favorite Muppet scenes ever).
I've seen the first 45 min. after that I've only seen parts of the other scenes but I saw everything that there's a refrence to in the new movie (including Sweetums running after the car, again)
The next time you have 2 hours of free time, watch the Muppet Movie from beginning to end. Download a torrent of it if you have to.

No true Muppet fan should be without seeing what everyone here would agree on is Jim Henson and the Muppet's grand magnum opus masterpiece.

beaker

Reaction score
The Muppet Movie is and will always be my favorite of all the Muppet movies. There's just so much magic - so much wonder - in it. Nothing beats the ending when the roof breaks through, and suddenly the cardboard rainbow is replaced by a real one. It's one of the most beautiful moments in movies.
Couldn't have said it better! I really wish they would make a truly classic Muppet film that harkens back to that...but in today's climate, it'd be hard to pull off. When you see that film, it looks so real and organic. There's no real quick cuts, fantasy randomness or things that seem out of place or used to save time. It's a natural filmmaker's movie, that genuinely feels like a dramedy road movie that could star humans...but just happens to have the Muppets. The movie is such a moment out of time for me, ever since I saw it on an old vhs tape when I was little, because it doesn't feel like anything else.

I hate to say it, but this new film or I doubt any movie in the future could come close to it because it's so beyond the beyond. You look at the extra features on the dvd, where Kermit and Fozzie are trying to interview cows in a documentary style...that right there is the kind of thinking behind the film. Just making the movie on the open road. However what this new film captures is that immensely personal and strong emotional connection we all have to that film, TMS, etc and how it gets us through tough times or just lights us up. The opening prologue with Walter, and later on the whole segments involving the Muppet Show revival really capture that magic. When we see dark become light with Kermit lighting a candle, it definitely feels like a moment from the original films

Might take my grandparents to see it, they'd probably enjoy it yeah?
Well given I saw so many elderly people coming out of the theater loving it, I'd say the film is appropriate and would be appreciated by anyone 1-120 years of age:smile: