I might be buying this Pepe replica

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
This guy is a piece of work. He puts up a fake picture of a Pepe replica (oh, I'm sorry, Pepe rendition) and then when he is caught he threatens to sue. I wouldn't go near this guy or his work. And whether he wants to call it a replica or a rendition without a proper license from Disney it is still illegal. No way he sues because he'd get in trouble with Disney. Are these pictures still on his website? Can you post a link to his website? I'd love to forward it to Disney. (I'm willing to bet that the pictures of the Muppet renditions/replicas he has sold or selling are taken down).

goldengonzo

Reaction score
His website is http://www.creatureclones.com.

His Facebook has more Disney-owned characters https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/CreatureClonesPuppets

That Pepe image is not on there. I asked specifically about a Pepe puppet and he initially was not able to send me a photo of the one he claims he made. I guess he doesn't take pictures of all his work...? :confused:

After I didn't respond for some time, he sent me that photo claiming it was from the client who bought it from him. He says he doesn't know why the client would have sent him a Photoshopped photo.

You can come to your own conclusions.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
http://www.creatureclones.com/Home.html

Nice website, great looking stuff; but, the images above are frightening. I'd rather work with the guy if he's selling his/her patterns of renditions of famous characters than to buy an actual puppet from him/her at this point.

goldengonzo

Reaction score
Judging from the broken blog link on his website, he used to go by the name olivers creature shop. Is there some reason he had to change his name?

edit: Annnd this thread is very informative: http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/looking-for-a-reference-on-a-puppet-maker.37111/

"Oliver's Creature Shop is just another in a long list of aliases for Michael Lisa, formerly Vault of Puppets, notorious Muppet knock-off seller on ebay, recently named in a lawsuit by Disney for intellectual property rights violations."

goldengonzo

Reaction score
Michael must be reading this because he just updated his website to fix that broken link. Now it goes to this blog http://creatureclones.blogspot.com/ Nice lack of content. I guess he had to put it up in a hurry. LOL!

edit: OMG. He spelled his own blog's name wrong. In his haste to cover his tracks he put an extra s in the title so it directs to the wrong blog. Nice work Michael. I bet you're sorry you threatened to sue me now.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
GoldenGonzo,

I'm not sure what it is about the making and selling of replicas in this particular fandom that riles people up so (you don't see that in other fandoms) but it's a hot button here. In other fandoms people kit-bash and produce garage models, sell customized action figures (also illegal), build prop and replica costumes all the time and people are always excited to see that "aspect" of the fandom. Here, for some reason, some over zealous fans feel a deep connection to these characters and like to tattle on anyone *they feel* is disrespecting them in some way. I will admit this guy's actions outside of just building replicas seems pretty sleazy and he deserves what he gets.

I personally, don't get their attitude. Disney has slews of attorney's that work night and day to protect their assets. And they do. I feel like we should let them do their job and stop being such "narcs" about it, but that's just my opinion. I mean no one says anything about trading downloaded MP3's or movies (that you didn't pay for-and are not the copyright holder on translation: stealing) on other forums but it's over looked. That however is a whole different conversation, but the ethics are the same.

Yet, when official merchandise (like the posers from MR or defunct promises from EFX) come out, many of these same people can be observed moaning and whining about how "expensive" they are or going to be, how "unobtainable" they are and that they will "never in their lifetime be able to buy one", or that "you'd have to be rich". I just chalk it up to the "I want what I can't have" mentality. Maybe that's negative of me, but it's what I've observed here. Unless you build a replica yourself, usually the overwhelming response here can be very negative, and even then it still may be "frosty" so be prepared for that. That's not to say it's everyone's mentality but it is voiced very loudly by a few.

The problem with this fella is pretty well documented around the web. He used to go by the name Vault of Puppets, as well as others. He has been banned from countless prop websites. I hear he/they (there was a lawsuit against several defendants) has a history of bad deals, or so I've heard. It's a shame really, because he/they did do some decent work. Using a photoshopped photo to represent your work is just down right dishonest though. Bottom line, go with your gut. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I build puppets and I always take pictures during the build process or at least when they are done. I just don't buy the story that he built one and shipped it out without photos. Who does that? No photos of your prototype? Especially, when he could have that puppet picture to put on his website or portfolio. I'm calling foul. I've heard before of him using doctored photos of actual Muppets so this doesn't surprise me.

I personally believe he sent the photo to procure your money. Does that mean your Pepe wouldn't look good? It might look good (if you ever get it) but the photoshopped photo is enough for me to say sorry, no deal. Even in the world of replica props and costumes (copyrighted material), there is a list of no-no's that you just don't do. Misrepresentation or taking other peoples work for your own is high on the list. It's sort of an "honor among thieves" type of code of conduct. Unfortunately many scammers exist in the world making commission deals, scary. You never can tell. The best way is to ask for a list of their previous customers to contact for verification and feedback. If they won't give you any, run for the hills.

Don't let him fool you or bully you with that last email. Anyone who builds a copy of an already existing, copyrighted character, is in violation of the owners copyright. No matter if they call it "replica", "rendition", "fan-made creation", "clone", etc. They are not the copyright holder and they are technically, breaking the law. In this case, rather flagrantly. That's not to say that Disney will break down the door of your house with the FBI for a onesey-twosey, kinda of replication, or fan build, but they could legally stop you and send a cease and desist. When you deal with replicas that's just the facts.

Fragglerockr

goldengonzo

Reaction score
The funny (or sad) thing is, I had no reason to suspect he was a fraud right up until he sent me that Pepe image. Then I posted it here just to get some laughs and that's when the e-mails about him suing me (for "slander", even though he really meant libel) started.

Hopefully this opens some new eyes that weren't already aware of his practices. He recently started posting on Twitter about his Muppet "renditions" (that's how I contacted him) so either he's desperate for money or he thinks Disney has forgotten about him.

CreatureClones

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first and last post I'll be making on this forum;

It has come to my attention that there is some confusion on this forum about a picture of a Pepe I built for someone. That is true, I did forward a picture that the person I built the Pepe for had sent me.

The person who started this post, Paul, had emailed me inquiring about getting some puppets built, one of them being a Pepe puppet. I had told him that I did not have any pictures of a Pepe I built, however I did build one a couple years ago, and that I would ask this person if they could send me a picture if they had one so he could see what it looked like.

The picture was then sent to me, I hardly had time to even look at it, so assuming it was the Pepe I built I forwarded it over to Paul so he could have a look. Long behold, I hear from someone on this forum that a post was made claiming I sent him a picture of the real Pepe. Which I did, however I did not knowing what the pic even was as I was in a hurry when I did it, and I had assumed it was the Pepe I built.
I've already informed the person who sent it, I'm not sure if he was mistaken or sent the wrong photo, but it's as simple mistake on their part, and a hasty reply on mine. I should have downloaded the pic before just sending it.

This is not a scam, I'm not out to get anyone, and I work very hard at what I do. I'm happy to help anyone with questions they may have about building, and I'd be happy to contribute about puppet building in general. But I will not tolerate false rumors or be a doormat for people typing away whatever they please, that just won't fly.

As for Mupppet puppets; I do NOT build replicas, I do however enjoy building renditions. I do not specialize in it, however from time to time if a serious collector is interested I may take on a build. I do however specialize in puppets built of people, that's what I mainly build.

Now, if anyone is confused, or misunderstaning, ask me, do not talk amongst yourselves and create false rumors, because I could do the same thing, in fact anyone can sitting behind a keyboard typing comfortably, and that's just not right.

goldengonzo

Reaction score
"The picture was then sent to me, I hardly had time to even look at it, so assuming it was the Pepe I built I forwarded it over to Paul so he could have a look. Long behold, I hear from someone on this forum that a post was made claiming I sent him a picture of the real Pepe. Which I did, however I did not knowing what the pic even was as I was in a hurry when I did it, and I had assumed it was the Pepe I built."

If that was your first and last post, at least it was a doozy!