Kermit - my first puppet build and first forum post

WalkingEye

Reaction score
I recently made my own kermit puppet, well it's mostly finished anyway, i just have to make him some legs. It's my first attempt at making a puppet of any kind, i think it came out pretty well. I used references i found here and some photos i took of an early 70's photo Kermit that was at the touring henson exhibition. He's a bit of a hybrid; it's a functional puppet complete with arm sleeve but i gave him poser arms. Not sure if i like the poser arms or not though. That's something i could swap out and replace if need be.

please excuse the awful pics, they're camera phone pics, i just haven't had time to take proper pics yet.

here's the head right after i sewed it ( a bit deflated looking)

here he is with the body and eyes attatched to the head

with arms and collar (temp pupils)

i think he's a bit worried that he doesn't have legs

poser arms in action (refined pupils)

callmemilo

Reaction score
looking really nice so far, eye... well done
i'm worried that the collar and pupils look a little too large
but on the whole this is a fantastic first build, you got the face shape down very nicely

WalkingEye

Reaction score
thanks milo! and thanks again with the help on putting on the eyes. the collar is indeed a bit large but i think with a bit of deft scissor work it'll be better. that'll have to wait till after the holidays are over. If you look at the last pic the pupils are a bit smaller and more refined than the other shots. it looks really close to the pics i took of the 70's poser. with that said though, i made the pupils so that they can easily be removed and replaced (very thin black felt backed with thin double-sided tape). i really appreciate the observations, you have a keen eye and your kermit was what inspired me to make mine.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Really great ! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Beautiful! I'm gearing-up to make a Scooter for my Son, then a bigger Rowlf plush for him as well, and then I might make another Kermit for myself. My first version is almost 20 years old, I know I can make a near-perfect replica of him these days! :wink:

Cheers! He really looks ace!!
:smile:
Anthony

TML

Reaction score
Wow! You really did an awesome job with him. If he's your first, I can't wait to see what other puppets you make.

WalkingEye

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words everyone. This is such a fun forum with awesome and talented people.

I'm gonna try to finish his legs and fix a few things that are bugging me, then take some better pics. Eventually I want to make a reporter outfit for him. The coat is gonna be tricky as I've never made anything like it. The hat will be a piece of cake as one of my hobbies is making proper fedoras. It should be fun making a little tiny block and flange to make him a hat. Either that or make him a little tiny Indiana Jones fedora.