Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for the ending, I know some people were kind of thrown off by it, but I think that was the idea. It was basically the movie playing a joke on us, saying "Yup, the Muppets lost in the end. But they're gonna stand strong together................(as soon as credits roll) PSYCHE! Joke's on you, sucker!" I guess it also goes to show that just because you see the words THE END, and as the credits are rolling, does not necessarily mean that the movie's over.Pulling a fast one on the audience does seem like the kind of thing the Muppets would do.
\

You're probably the only one who came to that conclusion, and I have to admit... it works on that level. Never thought of it that way before.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
To date, I've seen the film 6x in theaters thus far. I just saw it for the 6th time yesterday with my dad, my sister, and my niece, it was my niece's 1st movie (in a theater), and she seemed to enjoy it, she loves the Muppets. My favorite scene is the "We Built This City on Rock and Rock" cover, it just felt so epic as they cleaned up the theater, and Scooter had ample screen time in that scene, and you can never have too much Scooter.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
I went for the fifth time yesterday. My wife and I wanted to spend the last day of our vacation doing something enjoyable, and she woke up and the first thing she suggested was seeing the movie again.

The theater only had one showing, and it was packed. I went alone two weeks ago and was one of 5 in the theater for a Monday afternoon showing. Yesterday, for a 11:40 a.m. showing, it was basically full. Every row but the first was filled.

It was good to see it so packed, but there was this one annoying movie-watcher who would make out-loud comments throughout the movie. The whole movie. She'd ask where certain Muppets were when not on screen, a lot of "what the?" when Richman tried to knock power out. It did hurt the experience, but since it wasn't my only time seeing it, it didn't ruin the experience.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I realised that right after Floyd asks if they should have rented a bigger car, it cuts them leaving Mad Man Mooney's and Sweetums running after them. Has anybody noticed if they started driving a different (and perhaps bigger) car after that? It seems it would make sense for them to be there to get a new car (and of course to find Sweetums... Or maybe they decided to rent a new car and locate whichever Muppets would work at a car place).

In the extended version of "Let's Talk About Me", Tex talks about how the Muppets were at his tenth birthday party. I wonder if they would have remembered the experience. Not sure if it's common for birthday party performers to remember every client, but the fact that they were hired for a birthday party and the birtdhay kid couldn't laugh at them should have been a distinctive memory, especially if the other kids laughed at him for not laughing at them. And early on it's clear that Kermit knew about Tex Richman buying the theater (though he didn't know the reason), I wonder if he remembered that Tex couldn't laugh at the Muppets.

Though I also wonder if maybe they hired Muppet impersonators/people in large Muppet suits for the party (if they actually shot footage for the scene I hope it gets included on the DVD so we can see for ourselves).

Yorick

Reaction score
I know I heard Jerry Nelson do the narration during the telethon the Muppets did in this film! I didn't catch his name in the credits, but his voice is so unique - it HAD to be him! So, I checked Jerry's IMDB page to see if the man himself was involved, and for 2011 next to The Muppets, it says: "Telethon Announcer (voice) (uncredited)"

How wonderful!:sing:

Yorick

Reaction score
i never saw MFS because it was supposed to be so bad, but i guess i should see it just because. although that does surprise me that kermit and piggy aren't together in it- they've been together in every single other muppet movie
I think if MFS had had as much promotion as the 2011 Muppet film, it would have had a similar amount of people going to see it. There were good things and not-so-good things about both the 2011 Muppet film and MFS, but I think MFS is worthy of a space on the shelf along with the 2011 film. But I know opinions will differ, as they should!

beaker

Reaction score
As for the ending, I know some people were kind of thrown off by it, but I think that was the idea. It was basically the movie playing a joke on us, saying "Yup, the Muppets lost in the end. But they're gonna stand strong together................(as soon as credits roll) PSYCHE! Joke's on you, sucker!" I guess it also goes to show that just because you see the words THE END, and as the credits are rolling, does not necessarily mean that the movie's over.Pulling a fast one on the audience does seem like the kind of thing the Muppets would do.

Overall, great movie. I'd give it a 9/10.
Great thoughts! And yeah Im glad you waited for the better 720p rip that just landed online. I know a lot of people get high and mighty about "piracy", but like you said for a lot of the world the Muppets may not be coming to a theater near them.

And yeah, first time I saw the movie, there was screaming kids running all over the place which ruined my first experience.

beaker

Reaction score
I think if MFS had had as much promotion as the 2011 Muppet film, it would have had a similar amount of people going to see it. There were good things and not-so-good things about both the 2011 Muppet film and MFS, but I think MFS is worthy of a space on the shelf along with the 2011 film. But I know opinions will differ, as they should!
Ive begun to like MFS almost as much as The Muppets...at times more. MFS still feels like an old school Muppet film, in that a lot of the old crew was working on it. As surreal as the plot was, and as lame as some of the cameos were(Hulk Hogan for example) it didnt have near the distracting fantasy random gags that the new film had. "Travel by map"...ok, c'mon guys.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Traveling by map worked a LOT better than than the rest of the car montage. Even if they had to do a montage to pick the rest up, they could have handled it a bit better. Still think it could have worked as a jump cut.

I still do like MFS a lot, but listing the problems would take all day. I really think they could have done the entire film without Kermit, Piggy, or Fozzie. I really don't like Piggy's role in the movie. There's a lot of great scenes with Gonzo and Rizzo, The Lab rats, Dr. VanNeuter, and some brilliant play between Bobo and Jeffery Tambor... but other than that, too many goofy experimental concepts (the 70's funk track), an overly labored script, and worst of all, a hack director that just didn't get anything just totally screwed up a decent film. A lot of the lost concepts of The Muppets were disappointing, but nothing half as bad as changing the ending from something wonderfully complex to something banal. Plus, at least with The Muppets, the stuff was cut and we have some hope of seeing it some day. There was NO excuse for cutting that Traveling Matt Cameo. None.

Plus... as far as cameos go, I'm glad that Jason and the rest had some muscle in Hollywood to get some of their friends in it. I LOVE Jack Black, Kristen Schaal, NPH... Selina Gomez's 20 seconds is far more bearable than Rob Schneider (oooh the rant I want to do on him). The cameos in MFS were very sad, and a sign that the whole movie was treated as an after thought by studio and Henson alike.

And quite honestly, I kinda wish Muppets IN Space was made instead.

sesamekid75

Reaction score
To date, I've seen the film 6x in theaters thus far. I just saw it for the 6th time yesterday with my dad, my sister, and my niece, it was my niece's 1st movie (in a theater), and she seemed to enjoy it, she loves the Muppets. My favorite scene is the "We Built This City on Rock and Rock" cover, it just felt so epic as they cleaned up the theater, and Scooter had ample screen time in that scene, and you can never have too much Scooter.