Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

kyunkyua

Reaction score
Well, I guess I should post something about now. I saw the movie on the 26th. I haven't been able to think about much else at all this past week. It's kinda scaring me. I've never been this into the Muppets before, and now I spend like 5 hours a day watching the stuff on Youtube. I almost feel like I don't deserve to be a part of this - like, 'You were -20 years old when everyone else was watching this! You were too busy watching VeggieTales as a kid to care! You should feel bad!' I know it's ridiculous to view the fandom as some sort of exclusive group, but I just feel so BEHIND.

Anyway, right, movie. Loved every second of it. I must've been really into it, 'cause I don't remember a thing about the rest of the audience. There weren't really any characters I didn't like. I LOVED Walter. I didn't even have the Muppets superfan thing to relate to at that point, and I still thought he was freaking adorable. Kermit...well, he's Kermit. Who doesn't love Kermit? I have the attention span now to focus on a lot of characters I was indifferent about when I was younger, Miss Piggy in particular. And um...y'know, if I talk about all the characters, this is gonna take up the whole page. Let's just stop there.

Even now, thinking about the whole thing gets me either grinning nonstop or teary-eyed from the sheer emotional impact. I actually started crying a few days after - visiting company for dinner, no less. My parents were like, 'What the heck are you crying about?' and I'm like 'I DON'T KNOW GOD I'M SUCH A WRECK.' I bought the soundtrack, and I haven't even gotten myself to listen to it yet because I'm afraid it'll just make things worse. I want to embrace this and learn everything, but it hasn't been great for my emotional health...WHAT DO I DO GUYS. blargh.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Sadly, no. I hated everything about this movie; easily the worst film of 2011. And I'm not giving a reason why because no matter how strong my opinions are, they will not be accepted. Therefore, I'm saving myself some aggravation and cruel words and that's all I'll say.
Oh, well, my bad. Okay. Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've never been this into the Muppets before, and now I spend like 5 hours a day watching the stuff on Youtube. I almost feel like I don't deserve to be a part of this - like, 'You were -20 years old when everyone else was watching this! You were too busy watching VeggieTales as a kid to care! You should feel bad!' I know it's ridiculous to view the fandom as some sort of exclusive group, but I just feel so BEHIND.
I totally understand; I often feel the same way with franchises I was too young for but am really into now. But in the end, who cares, you need more fans to keep these things going. :smile:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Sadly, no. I hated everything about this movie; easily the worst film of 2011. And I'm not giving a reason why because no matter how strong my opinions are, they will not be accepted. Therefore, I'm saving myself some aggravation and cruel words and that's all I'll say.
pfft! stupid!

Reaction score
Dislike I can understand. That's fine. Hate it way too strong a word to use on this film.
I refuse to accept that The Muppets was the worst film of 2011 when we had movies like Jack and Jill, Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star, and Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son grace the silver screen last year. Let's see how many Razzies The Muppets gets against those films.
Exaggeration, thy name is Princeton.

Yorick

Reaction score
I know it's ridiculous to view the fandom as some sort of exclusive group, but I just feel so BEHIND.
Think of the Muppets themselves. There are many different types, and yet they're all accepted and welcome in the group by the others. There ya go! :smile:

Even now, thinking about the whole thing gets me either grinning nonstop or teary-eyed from the sheer emotional impact. I actually started crying a few days after - visiting company for dinner, no less. My parents were like, 'What the heck are you crying about?' and I'm like 'I DON'T KNOW GOD I'M SUCH A WRECK.' I bought the soundtrack, and I haven't even gotten myself to listen to it yet because I'm afraid it'll just make things worse. I want to embrace this and learn everything, but it hasn't been great for my emotional health...WHAT DO I DO GUYS. blargh.
Embrace and learn all things Henson & friends, and you won't be let down. As for being too emotional about it all, all I can say is, maybe choose one day a week to dive in, if you really feel you need a break, but don't leave it behind! Stick around, and talk to your fellow fans here!

Yorick

Reaction score
I've heard of him. Did you mean in your reply that he just didn't want his voice to be credited? Please explain!
Jerry Nelson is the voice of so many amazing characters (many that we all know) that would never have been the same without him - and he's a wonderful singer who sings with feeling! I'm not sure why Jerry wasn't credited in the 2011 Muppet film (maybe some kind of Disney red tape) but it was a joy to hear him, because, although he seems to be semi-retired, he will always be a Muppet master, and each time the Muppets are given the respect they're due, Jerry's there in spirit, I feel...along with Frank Oz, Jim Henson, Richard Hunt and the other members of the Muppet team. (Of course I'm glad we still have Dave and Steve, along with the newer members).

Yorick

Reaction score
I still do like MFS a lot, but listing the problems would take all day.
too many goofy experimental concepts (the 70's funk track), an overly labored script, and worst of all, a hack director that just didn't get anything just totally screwed up a decent film.
It's interesting...since I haven't yet looked into what was originally planned for the film, I can't yet comment on that, or judge the film with that in mind. As for the funk soundtrack, I liked that about it. I think that's something the Muppets could get into!:big_grin:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Okay, so I was reading through the IMDb Message Boards the other day (It’s a bad habit, I really should stop). While doing so, I came across a thread about the whole ‘Muppets Anti-Oil Corporate Agenda’ blar-de-blar (the guy who posted it seemed to think it was true) and there was this one person there who tried to set the record straight, but was a little off on the facts, that said something that got me thinking: They thought the reason Tex hated the Muppets was because he was teased for liking them as a child.

I thought about it for a while and I realized that might’ve been an interesting take on Tex. It’s a little more solid, personal and Muppet related motivation than hating them because he can’t laugh. Plus, it would’ve put him as an interesting counterpoint to Walter, showing two of the paths a fan being teased for his fandom can take: The one who sticks by it and the one who denounces it.

Tex denounces his love of the Muppets after being teased and starts to grow bitter and resentful. He convinces himself that they are just a bunch of people who only act like they liked each other for the sake of fame and fortune, a view that is reinforced when they brake up.

Fast forward to the events of the movie and he wants to tear down the studio and give the Muppet name to the Moopets as a last ‘Take that!’ towards Kermit and Company, because he truly believes they're still only in it for the glory. And this is the view he keeps right up to the point that he overhears Kermit’s speech about them being together as a family, no matter what happens next. The realization that the Muppets are indeed a family and will continue to be so, even if they’re not famous, gives him a change of heart and motivates his return of the studio and name.

These are my thoughts, don't hit me. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
(slaps forehead) EGAD! That would have been a great revelation, had that happened. I do like the inability to laugh angle, and if that was JUST in the film, it would have made the ending and some of the other gags work...

But that is a very interesting concept... him hating something he once loved because of traumatic circumstances... it makes the character a LOT deeper either way. Muppet villains didn't really need any depth... surely, Jeffery Tambor's character was the only one that had any depth at all that was an original character (Scrooge's Depth was created by Charles Dickens anyway).

Still, I think it's ridiculous that 2 minutes of actual plot set up got cut.