Video: James Bobin and Bret McKenzie talk Muppets and the Oscars

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the song Real in Rio is a "monstruosity". It's a "Batucada" so is written in the style of the music used for the Carnival of Rio (Mardi Gra), and its very faithful to the style. In Batucadas the emphasis is on the drums, and I love the drums in this. I don't find it particularly memorable though, but very few batucadas are, specially for non-Brazilian ears.
I knew there had to be a technical term for it. Very niche style compared to what I'm used to hearing. I listened to the first half of the 5 minute song and still couldn't find any melody. It's not my taste and just sounds like irritating noise to my palette. But then again, so does "It's Hard Out There for a Pimp" that won an Oscar several years ago. :eek:

jcnegron

Reaction score
Yes, is a bit strange in many ways. For example the very first sounds in the song, which sounded like monkey cries to me and I used to think that they were made by people or synthesizers, are actual drums and have that very peculiar sound.

By the way, I heard the soundtrack from The Muppets before I watched the movie, and Man or Muppet was one of my least favorites, However it's a different experience to hear it alongside the visuals. That's probably why it was chosen.

I think that Life'a a Happy Song was more deserving. But I think that maybe because Disney's has had so many nominations before, truly mastering the art of getting songs nominated, that, perhaps the academy decided against Disney's dominance this year.