U.K.: "Secret Policeman's Ball" (with The Muppets)

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
From digitalspy.co.uk
Bridesmaids star Kristen Wiig, Muppets Statler & Waldorf and UK comics Jack Whitehall and Micky Flanagan have been added to this year's Secret Policeman's Ball lineup.

The comedy and musical Amnesty fundraiser, which will air on Channel 4, takes place at New York City's Radio City Music Hall on Sunday, March 4.

Coldplay, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Mumford & Sons, Russell Brand and Reggie Watts were previously revealed as part of the lineup.

Fred Armisen, Hannibal Buress, David Cross, Noel Fielding and Rashida Jones will also appear at the event.

Other new names for the bill include Seth Meyers, Bob Odenkirk, Andy Samberg, Peter Serafinowicz and Sarah Silverman.

Channel 4, who will be showing the event just days after it takes place in the US, commented: "We're very proud to be working with Amnesty International and to be able to bring the show to UK audiences. It's a brilliant lineup in an iconic venue.

"Even with over 20 top names already announced, more comedy and music stars will be announced over the coming weeks, as well as the winner of 'The World's Shortest Gig' - a competition for an aspiring UK comedian to win a 15-second slot on stage at The Secret Policeman's Ball."

Amnesty International's Kerry Moscogiuri said: "We're extremely excited by the great host of talent who have given up their time to take part in Amnesty's Secret Policeman's Ball. We expect this will be a great evening of entertainment that will also succeed in throwing a spotlight on the importance of Amnesty's work on defending all human rights, and in particular free speech.

"Campaigning for freedom of expression remains a fundamental part of Amnesty's campaigning work. Last week the organisation called for the release of social media activist Park Jeonggeun from South Korea after he retweeted messages from North Korea's official government Twitter account."

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news...ah-silverman-join-secret-policemans-ball.html

Borples

Reaction score
Statler and Waldorf's promo for the event:

If anyone was able to record their actual appearance and posts it on YT, I will track that person down and smooch them. Wait, I retract that. Wouldn't want to dissuade anybody. :smile:

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
from BBC
Secret Policeman's Ball crosses Atlantic
Russell Brand, Coldplay and a host of other acts have taken part in a Secret Policeman's Ball gala in New York - the first to take place outside the UK.

The Amnesty International benefit at Radio City Music Hall was held to mark the organisation's 50th anniversary.

British comedians like Eddie Izzard and David Walliams were joined by such US stars as Jon Stewart and Ben Stiller in the first such event since 2008.

The first Secret Policeman's Ball was held in London in 1976.

Organised with the aid of John Cleese, the event - then entitled A Poke in the Eye (with a Sharp Stick) - saw the Fawlty Towers star perform alongside fellow members of the Monty Python team.

Python legends Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin also contributed to Sunday's concert, albeit in the form of video messages.

Actors Liam Neeson and Tim Roth were among the on-stage speakers at Sunday's concert, while Mumford & Sons were the night's other musical guests.

The evening also included a cameo appearance from Statler and Waldorf, the curmudgeonly duo from The Muppet Show.

The two-and-a-half hour show, streamed live online in the US, will be broadcast in the UK on Friday on Channel 4.

Amnesty International has been campaigning on human rights issues since 1961.
source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17255345
The show is on 22:00 on Friday 9th March or 00:45 on Sunday 11th March, Channel 4.

Borples

Reaction score
Streamed live online? NOW they tell us!

Borples

Reaction score
Um...if you go here: http://www.epixhd.com/the-secret-policemans-ball/ and scroll down a bit, there's a "Statler and Waldorf remix." You get a very, very brief clip of their appearance, and then it goes into the remix. Which seems like it could be a good conversation stopper, if used properly.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I was there that night, with my family - and we were seated on the right-hand side of the theater, so we had a good view of Statler and Waldorf's balcony. :smile:

Borples

Reaction score
I was there that night, with my family - and we were seated on the right-hand side of the theater, so we had a good view of Statler and Waldorf's balcony. :smile:
That's so cool! If I were at an event where Statler and Waldorf were in an actual balcony, I think I could die happy. :smile: Did they just do the one bit, or did they comment throughout?