Puppet version of children's book character

aaronmojo

Reaction score

I built Bird, from the children's book I illustrated, Buddy and Bird. (http://www.buddyandbird.com)
I think he turned out okay but the beak was a gigantic pain. I'm working on Buddy and hopefully he'll turn out better.

Thoughts? Critiques??

propologist

Reaction score
Hi,
Looks great. Can we see a side or 3/4 view? I can not tell if the beak is pointy like your deawing or not but non the less it looks great.

Mike

aaronmojo

Reaction score
Hey Mike - thanks for the comment. I'll post a 3/4 view later on but I'll tell you the beak didn't turn out as pointy as I would have liked. It looked fine when it was just foam, but when I covered it in fleece, some of the pointiness went away. I had no end of trouble building this thing.

propologist

Reaction score
Hi,
ya the fleece has a way of rounding thing out so you have to over do it some times to get what you want after you cover it. Still looks great.

Mike

muppetperson

Reaction score

I built Bird, from the children's book I illustrated, Buddy and Bird. (http://www.buddyandbird.com)
I think he turned out okay but the beak was a gigantic pain. I'm working on Buddy and hopefully he'll turn out better.

Thoughts? Critiques??
Nice.Looks like a big puppet! What do you plan to do with the characters in puppet form?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Ps Just seen the drawing "Bird" and the puppet would resemble the drawing better if the beak didnt go right around his head.Where the puppet beak is, it should have white on either side.I know you had lots of problems with the beak! Hope this helps.

aaronmojo

Reaction score
Okay guys, an update. I've almost finished the Buddy puppet. Muppetperson, thanks for the tip - but I think I posted an old version of the characters. Here's the characters:

And here's Buddy:

Thoughts??

aaronmojo

Reaction score
Also, Propologist asked about Bird's beak. Here's a side and a 3/4 view. It doesn't look as pointy as I'd like but it's foam rubber and fabric. Is there a better way to do this besides creating a mold and casting it in rubber or plastic or something?

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Looks plenty pointy to me my good man!! :wink: Really top-notch work on both of these awesome characters, designed well, and they just look "right" if you see my meaning. I'd love to read the story, and hopefully later on even purchase a puppeteered version in DVD! :big_grin: