Dealing with depression and anxiety

newsmanfan

Reaction score
After being sent home today because some construction made me have 2 asthma attacks in an hour and a tremendous anxiety attack, I had to go to the doctor. Now I'm gonna try Celexa (anti-depressant). Wish me luck.
Yeeesh. Fingers crossed! And, um, toes. I have weird toes. Possibly they bring good luck to OTHER people... I wonder if there's anyplace in this country where you could work/live which doesn't have bad pollen/road dust/constant construction? Might be worth looking into, at least, for future plans... I can't imagine being unable to breathe like that. As a child I was terrified of drowning, but I've only had the wind knocked out of me once...you have to deal with that sensation on a regular basis. Let me know if there's anything which makes it better that I could do. :sympathy:

To Sgt Floyd: very good advice has already been tossed your way here. I'll agree: social life, while it can be enjoyable and even rewarding, is certainly not the be-all end-all of college. You will likely find someone in a class which you really enjoy who shares some of your interests, and go from there. That's a far better approach than deliberately "trying to make friends" or, frog help ya, trying to "get" a boyfriend! Ignore anyone, parents included, who insists you "should" do either of those. Focus on your studies first (yeah, there is enough time to pull off at least a B average, and possibly a low A), and things that actually interest you second...friends will flow naturally out of that. Maybe next semester, try to take at least one "easy-A" course to bring up your GPA -- but make sure it's something you actually like and the prof isn't a jerk or an idiot. Hang in there. :smile:
------------------

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I thought music appreciation was going to be one of those -_-

I can't actually take any elective. My major is already about 15 hours more than most majors, MA counted towards a required art class

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Just having a very hard time today. I can tell that one of my depressive episodes is beginning to start, and I had been doing very well the past couple of weeks. Hopefully I can stay afloat without feeling too low.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
Keep busy. Idle hours only help depression.

----------------

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Just having a very hard time today. I can tell that one of my depressive episodes is beginning to start, and I had been doing very well the past couple of weeks. Hopefully I can stay afloat without feeling too low.
I'll be praying that it doesn't get too bad charlie.

Space Muppet

Reaction score
I've struggled with depression my whole adult life. The only thing that's helped so far is medication. But it isn't 100% effective all the time.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Space Muppet. This is a great place to come if you need to talk stuff out.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I've struggled with depression my whole adult life. The only thing that's helped so far is medication. But it isn't 100% effective all the time.
I've found that medication is only part of the solution, and that it needs to be combined with things like therapy, talking with friends, and stuff like that. But it can be disheartening when medication doesn't help.