She Gets What She Wants

Your Worship

Reaction score
This is just a scrap to tide you over...working on something really tear-jerking.​
~~~~~~~
Piggy began her third assault on the crib, this time with a hammer and nails that, according to the packaging, were not supposed to be necessary. She was trying to keep the banging and yelling to a minimum, mostly not to break the strange hush that had settled over the house since she and Kermit had had their little…disagreement.

The house was so silent most of the time that Piggy was beginning to believe she only imagined she was living with a frog and a small decade-challenged robot. Kermit moved through the place like a small green ghost. When she did see him, he seemed to have trouble meeting her eyes. She wasn’t sure if he just needed time to come to terms with her decision or if he was still convinced that she was somehow going to use the baby to trap him into marrying her.

Again.

She sighed. Maybe she had been a little harsh with him; it had been dumped on him a pretty unexpectedly and Kermit really didn’t do well with the unexpected. At his last surprise party he’d had to go off into a quiet corner somewhere for at least ten minutes before he’d been able to enjoy himself at all. And he might—might, have some justification for his assumptions…maybe. Still, she’d thought Kermit might have noticed that she’d grown a bit, learned something, matured—or at least that she’d stopped hurling telephones at his head when he didn’t notice her new haircuts. To think that he still saw her as the same old Piggy was disappointing.

Not that it really mattered; she hadn’t come back into town for him anyway. She barely even thought about him. Why, even if he never spoke to her again, she probably wouldn’t even notice.

“Piggy?” came a quiet voice behind her as someone tapped her on the shoulder.

“AHH!” she cried, jumping a mile. She brushed her hair back from her face, trying desperately to give the impression that suddenly screaming was just something that stylish people did. “Ah, hah, hah…Kermit, um…what are you doing here?” she asked nonchalantly.

“Um…I live here,” he reminded her.

“Oh. Right,” She said. “What can Moi do for you?”

He hung his head. “I just…well…um…I just wanted to apologize. I guess I’ve been kind of a jerk, thinking this was all about me, when really it was all about you. I was just afraid, I guess; but it wasn’t okay for me to take that out on you. So…I’m sorry, Piggy. Will you…forgive me?”

His little pollywog eye glinted up at her wetly, making her knees go a little weak. Even if she had still been angry with him, she probably wouldn’t have been able to stand strong in the face of that adorable expression of contrition…not until she’d built her immunity back up, of course.

“Piggy?” Kermit asked.

She continued to stare down at him, enraptured. What was the question? Oh! She cleared her throat abruptly, her voice going up an octave as her spine straightened. “Ahem, yes, of course. It was just a little misunderstanding. Nothing important.”

“Oh…so we’re…okay?” he asked anxiously.

She blinked. “Of course.”

“All right,” Kermit said. There was an awkward pause. “I guess I should get back to work then,” he said hesitantly.

“Oh, yes—I know how busy you are,” she said, trying to ignore the niggling feeling of disappointment.

“Unless…you needed some help here?” he asked trying not to look too hopeful.

Piggy smiled.

~~~~~~~​

Misskermie

Reaction score
I love it! I love how Piggy is like, hypnotized by Kermit's charm, and how 80's robot is decade challenged, and kermit's all... kermit. LOL More please!

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Ooh, great little tidbit!! I love how Piggy thinks that it wouldn't matter if Kermit ever talked to her again, then jumps to the ceiling when he does- perfect! Oh those two...they need to get it together, lol.

Tear-jerker on the horizon eh? Very intrigued but already sad for what's to come for those two...

keep up the great work!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
Very nice! I love some of the tossed-off bits in this, like screaming being "something stylish people did" or there being a "decade-challenged robot" in the house still. And of course, more frog/pig drama is always enjoyable. You've done well so far at playing without overplaying their emotions. Hope that trend continues! :smile:

-------------------

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Some really lovely turns of phrase, dear. And a Kermit who apologizes! I'm FOR it. Just hoping Piggy gets to be good to him a little later on. He's really suffering thinking of her in someone else's arms.

Your Worship

Reaction score
This is not the tear-jerker, but it finishes the above scene.

~~~~~~~​

The crib was finally looking a bit less like a pile of woodscraps and a bit more like, well, a crib. Kermit was putting the tools away in the tool box as Piggy arranged the bedding and set up the mobile. He seemed to be taking a bit longer than usual, so Piggy wasn’t surprised when he turned to her finally with the air of someone who could no longer be silenced.

He had the most peculiar expression on his face, half deadly serious, half shyly embarrassed. “Can I just ask…who…” he seemed to hesitate, as though getting the words out was some kind of Olympic challenge, “who is the father?”

Piggy blinked. Honestly, that was the last thing she had expected. “Um…well, I don’t really know yet.”

Kermit looked thoroughly boggled. “You don’t know!? How can you not know?”

She gave him a confused look. “I imagine I’ll meet him when the time comes,” she said, wondering why this was so important. “Or not, depending on the situation.”

“WHAT?” Kermit exploded.

Piggy stood up, affronted at his tone. Who was he to tell her how to choose her baby? “Look, this is none of your business—”

“This is very much my business!” Kermit asserted, very aware that he didn’t actually have much to back that statement up with.

“None of your business,” Piggy continued balefully, “and completely ridiculous. What does it matter if I know the father? I don’t even know the mother yet.”

Kermit opened his mouth, then closed it. “What are you talking about?” he asked finally.

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously, “What are you talking about?”

“The baby you’re going to have,” he said, his voice small and vaguely questioning.

Piggy stared at him. “Moi is not pregnant!” she said incredulously.

“But…but you said…”

“Moi will be adopting a baby,” Piggy said emphatically. She must have been even more unclear than she had thought. “I have already begun the process; interviewed the candidates—now I’m just waiting to sign the papers.”

Kermit swallowed, then cleared he throat. “So you’re adopting a…um”

“Piglet,” Piggy filled in, bustling around the necessary a bit more than was strictly necessary. “A little baby girl just for Moi.”

“But why?” he burst out.

She stared at him, trying to figure out what he was asking. Why did she want a baby? Why now? Why so quickly? Or why didn’t she want to find a baby instead of having a baby of her own? And if that was the question he was asking, he must have finally grown a bright green pair, because pretending like he didn’t know the answer to that one was a good way to get his froggy head put through the drywall.

He must have seen something dangerous in her eyes, because he held is hands up in surrender. “Not why—exactly, just…why do you feel like you have to do this, Piggy?” His voice was quiet, calm, like he really wanted an answer.

There were plenty of things she could have said—things that might have been easier for both of them—but she was trying to be more honest now. And besides, the truth was one of the few things she’d never tried with him.

She sighed. “For so long, everything I’ve done was tied up with you, Kermit.” He opened his mouth to protest and she held up a hand. “It’s not your fault—maybe it’s no one’s fault, but we met so young and I fell so hard for you so fast. I just sort of wound all my dreams around your dream. I guess I thought if the Muppets were successful, then you’d finally have time to fall in love with me. And then we’d get married, have children, and I’d have the life I always wanted.”

Kermit shuffled his feet. “I guess it didn’t work out that way.”

“I guess not,” Piggy shrugged, smiling wryly. “You weren’t ready—you’re still not.”

“Piggy—”

“No! I need to accept that, whatever you feel for me, it’s not quite what I need right now. Because I’m ready, Kermit. I’m tired of being alone. I don’t have any close family and I only see most of my friends once or twice a year. I’m lonely and I want someone to love me. So I’m going to grow up and dream my own dreams—all by myself.”

There was a long pause. “I guess—well, you’ve gotta follow your dream, but…I could still be there, right?” he asked hesitantly.

Piggy smiled. “I guess you could hang out with my dreams—if you didn’t get in the way.”

He grinned back gently. “Oh, I’m pretty small for my species; you won’t even notice me.”

She raised a disbelieving eyebrow.

“Well,” he said, getting back on topic, “when is it all happening, then?”
“Well, nothing official yet, but if everything goes as planned…” Piggy smiled and said in a dreamy voice, “April 15th—just a month to go, well, thirty-three days.”

“Thirty-three days, huh—wow.”

“Yeah.”

“Piggy?”

“Hmmm?”

“You’re going to be a Mom!” Kermit said, sounding a bit awed.

“Finally sunk in, huh salamander breath?”

“Just trying to picture you up for a 2 am feeding,” he said cheekily.

“After 4 am modeling shoots, 5-9 editing jobs, and dog-sitting animal, a baby should be a piece of—er…well, should be easier, anyway. At least I get to go back to sleep after I’m done.”

Kermit nodded into the silence. “Yeah.” Conversation seemed to peter away. They both had a lot to think about. “Well…I guess I’d better…”

“Go back to work?” Piggy finished.

“Those scripts don’t write themselves,” he joked, heading for the door.

They used to, was on the tip of her tongue, but she bit it back. And a minute later she was glad she did. He turned back in the doorway and gave one of those eyes-bright, so-sincere-it-makes-your-teeth-hurt smiles. “Hey, Piggy? I think you’re going to be a great Mom.”

Piggy turned away so he couldn’t see her tear up. Her voice was unnecessarily gruff when she replied. “Thanks, Kermie.”

Your Worship

Reaction score
This is not the tear-jerker, but it finishes the above scene.

~~~~~~~​

The crib was finally looking a bit less like a pile of woodscraps and a bit more like, well, a crib. Kermit was putting the tools away in the tool box as Piggy arranged the bedding and set up the mobile. He seemed to be taking a bit longer than usual, so Piggy wasn’t surprised when he turned to her finally with the air of someone who could no longer be silenced.

He had the most peculiar expression on his face, half deadly serious, half shyly embarrassed. “Can I just ask…who…” he seemed to hesitate, as though getting the words out was some kind of Olympic challenge, “who is the father?”

Piggy blinked. Honestly, that was the last thing she had expected. “Um…well, I don’t really know yet.”

Kermit looked thoroughly boggled. “You don’t know!? How can you not know?”

She gave him a confused look. “I imagine I’ll meet him when the time comes,” she said, wondering why this was so important. “Or not, depending on the situation.”

“WHAT?” Kermit exploded.

Piggy stood up, affronted at his tone. Who was he to tell her how to choose her baby? “Look, this is none of your business—”

“This is very much my business!” Kermit asserted, very aware that he didn’t actually have much to back that statement up with.

“None of your business,” Piggy continued balefully, “and completely ridiculous. What does it matter if I know the father? I don’t even know the mother yet.”

Kermit opened his mouth, then closed it. “What are you talking about?” he asked finally.

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously, “What are you talking about?”

“The baby you’re going to have,” he said, his voice small and vaguely questioning.

Piggy stared at him. “Moi is not pregnant!” she said incredulously.

“But…but you said…”

“Moi will be adopting a baby,” Piggy said emphatically. She must have been even more unclear than she had thought. “I have already begun the process; interviewed the candidates—now I’m just waiting to sign the papers.”

Kermit swallowed, then cleared he throat. “So you’re adopting a…um”

“Piglet,” Piggy filled in, bustling around the necessary a bit more than was strictly necessary. “A little baby girl just for Moi.”

“But why?” he burst out.

She stared at him, trying to figure out what he was asking. Why did she want a baby? Why now? Why so quickly? Or why didn’t she want to find a baby instead of having a baby of her own? And if that was the question he was asking, he must have finally grown a bright green pair, because pretending like he didn’t know the answer to that one was a good way to get his froggy head put through the drywall.

He must have seen something dangerous in her eyes, because he held is hands up in surrender. “Not why—exactly, just…why do you feel like you have to do this, Piggy?” His voice was quiet, calm, like he really wanted an answer.

There were plenty of things she could have said—things that might have been easier for both of them—but she was trying to be more honest now. And besides, the truth was one of the few things she’d never tried with him.

She sighed. “For so long, everything I’ve done was tied up with you, Kermit.” He opened his mouth to protest and she held up a hand. “It’s not your fault—maybe it’s no one’s fault, but we met so young and I fell so hard for you so fast. I just sort of wound all my dreams around your dream. I guess I thought if the Muppets were successful, then you’d finally have time to fall in love with me. And then we’d get married, have children, and I’d have the life I always wanted.”

Kermit shuffled his feet. “I guess it didn’t work out that way.”

“I guess not,” Piggy shrugged, smiling wryly. “You weren’t ready—you’re still not.”

“Piggy—”

“No! I need to accept that, whatever you feel for me, it’s not quite what I need right now. Because I’m ready, Kermit. I’m tired of being alone. I don’t have any close family and I only see most of my friends once or twice a year. I’m lonely and I want someone to love me. So I’m going to grow up and dream my own dreams—all by myself.”

There was a long pause. “I guess—well, you’ve gotta follow your dream, but…I could still be there, right?” he asked hesitantly.

Piggy smiled. “I guess you could hang out with my dreams—if you didn’t get in the way.”

He grinned back gently. “Oh, I’m pretty small for my species; you won’t even notice me.”

She raised a disbelieving eyebrow.

“Well,” he said, getting back on topic, “when is it all happening, then?”
“Well, nothing official yet, but if everything goes as planned…” Piggy smiled and said in a dreamy voice, “April 15th—just a month to go, well, thirty-three days.”

“Thirty-three days, huh—wow.”

“Yeah.”

“Piggy?”

“Hmmm?”

“You’re going to be a Mom!” Kermit said, sounding a bit awed.

“Finally sunk in, huh salamander breath?”

“Just trying to picture you up for a 2 am feeding,” he said cheekily.

“After 4 am modeling shoots, 5-9 editing jobs, and dog-sitting animal, a baby should be a piece of—er…well, should be easier, anyway. At least I get to go back to sleep after I’m done.”

Kermit nodded into the silence. “Yeah.” Conversation seemed to peter away. They both had a lot to think about. “Well…I guess I’d better…”

“Go back to work?” Piggy finished.

“Those scripts don’t write themselves,” he joked, heading for the door.

They used to, was on the tip of her tongue, but she bit it back. And a minute later she was glad she did. He turned back in the doorway and gave one of those eyes-bright, so-sincere-it-makes-your-teeth-hurt smiles. “Hey, Piggy? I think you’re going to be a great Mom.”

Piggy turned away so he couldn’t see her tear up. Her voice was unnecessarily gruff when she replied. “Thanks, Kermie.”

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
ooh- so cure and adorable but still sad- so sad that Kermit hasn't wised up yet but glad that Piggy knows what she wants and she's not waiting anymore to get it.

Very sweet- if that's not a tear jerker I'm afraid to read what is....but I still want to read it anyway.

Keep up the great work!

Misskermie

Reaction score
Ha Ha Ha, I love how clueless Kermit was until Piggy spelled it out for him! Very good! More please!