Fanfic: The Next Great Muppet Caper

Abb Green

Reaction score
As you can guess, this is going to be a Muppet mystery story. I'm also going to be posting it on fanfiction.net. So just type in "The Next Great Muppet Caper!" and it should come up. I'm posting it on here first though.

Now, this first chapter is going to mostly be a look into Abigail's (that's me) life, but the next chapter is when the investigating actually starts. Any ideas and suggestions are more than welcome! I'd REALLY appreciate it, actually! Please leave a review after you're finished reading.

WARNING: This story is going to contain some dramatic and tear-jerking moments! (At least I THINK it will...) If you don't like that sort of stuff, turn away now!

Abb Green

Reaction score
Chapter One

I looked up at the dark sky. The sky was cloudy, most likely from an oncoming storm. No stars were visible and the only thing keeping me from stumbling in the darkness was the bright full moon. I smiled. I always loved the darkness and the evening. It reminded me of myself. I take such delight in stealing. It always made me feel so powerful and in control! Not to mention all of the free money that made me rich...

“Sir!” A voice suddenly cried out, interrupting my thoughts.

I turned towards it and saw three figures, one tall and two short, walking towards me.

“Finally!” I snapped. “Where have you three been?”

“Sorry sir...” The tall one answered. “We were almost caught a couple of times and...”

“No one followed you here, did they?” I quickly asked, panicking.

“No sir. We checked and were extra cautious so no one should have noticed us.”

“Good.” I replied, relaxing. “Well, let’s get down to business. Is everything ready for the plan?”

“Yes. Everything is in order. It should be executed tomorrow.” The first short figure said.

“Great!” I said. “Now, are all of you ready for it?”

“Yes, sir.” The second short figure said. “We know our parts and we’re ready.”

I nod. “Good. Well, now that that’s settled, let’s return home before people get suspicious.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Gotcha!”

“You got it sir.”

And with that we separated...

I woke up with tears streaming down my face. It takes me a moment to remember where I am. I calm down a little bit, my tears subsiding. That is until I remember what had me crying in the first place. I broke down into tears again, my body heaving. I had dreamt that my parents had been in a car crash and had died on the way to the hospital.

I’m not sure how long I just sat there crying but soon, I felt arms wrap around me. Knowing it was my Mom, I knelt into her warmth, still crying.

“Have another bad dream, sweetie?”

I nodded, sniffling.

She made a sympathetic sound and began rocking me. After a few more minutes she started singing in a gentle voice...

Come stop your crying

It’ll be alright

Just take my hand

Hold it tight

I will protect you from all around you

I will be here

Don’t you cry.

For one so small

You seem so strong

My arms will hold you

Keep you safe and warm

This bond between us can’t be broken

I will be here

Don’t you cry.

Cause you’ll be in my heart

Yes you’ll be in my heart

From this day on

Now and forever more

You’ll be in my heart

No matter what they say

You’ll be here in my heart

Always

Feeling infinitely better, I hug my Mom and get back under the covers.

“I love you.” She whispers as she kisses my forehead.

“Love you too...” I sleepily murmur as she leaves the room...

Much like in my dream I woke up crying. I look around and notice that I’m back in my apartment in Muppet York City. Realizing that I had been dreaming about something that had happened to me when I was five years old, I start crying.

Oh Mom...

That was the first time in a while that I had dreamt about my parents, in this case my Mom. I remember how I used to have horrifying nightmares as a kid that always had me waking up, crying. She would always come into my room, having heard me sobbing, and comfort me by singing my favourite lullaby, “You’ll Be In My Heart”.

I missed her and my father so much...

Rubbing the tears and sleep out of my eyes, I glance at the clock. It read 10:00.

Still have a half hour till work. I guess I’d better get up then...

“Morning, Kermit!” I called out when I stepped through the theatre’s backstage doors.

Kermit looked up from his paperwork at his desk. “Ah, Abigail! Just in time!”

“Anything I need to work on today?”

“Well, you can go help Scooter. Poor guy is up to his knees in work today...”

“You got it, Mr. Boss!” I joked, saluting.

“Hurry up and leave!” Kermit chuckled.

I laughed and began walking upstairs when a very familiar voice suddenly cried out, “ABBIE!”

Smiling, I turned around just in time to be tackled to the ground by Animal, who was dragging poor Floyd around.

“ABBIE! ABBIE! ABBIE! ABBIE! ABBIE!” He happily cried out, kissing my face multiple times and hugging me tightly.

“Yes, Animal! Hi to you too! Ya big lug!” I said, hugging him back.

“No Animal! Sit!” Floyd interjected.

Animal quickly calmed down. “Sorr-ee.” He apologized, helping me to my feet.

“Abigail, are you okay?” Floyd quickly asked me.

“Yep! And don’t worry Floyd. Animal doesn’t hurt me when he tackles me like that. It’s just his way of showing affection!” I replied, getting to my feet.

“Still, it’d be a bad habit for him to develop...”

“That is true... Well, I have to get working. It was nice seeing you guys!”

“Right. Bye, Abbie. Come on Animal. Time for your breakfast.”

“BREAKFAST! BREAKFAST!” Animal shouted as he and Floyd went downstairs where Gladys’ kitchen was.

I shook my head, smiling, before going upstairs to find Scooter. I found him all right. Oh boy, did I find him! Let’s just say that the shouting from Miss Piggy’s dressing room made it difficult to not find him...

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN’T WATCH FOO-FOO FOR ME?”

I could practically hear Scooter wincing. “N-Now, Miss Piggy. I’m sorry, but I’m too busy...”

“OH, I’LL SHOW YOU BUSY! HI-YA!”

I winced when I opened the door and Scooter came flying out, smashing into the wall, where he lay groaning. After helping him up, I cautiously entered Miss Piggy’s dressing room. I wasn’t sure if she would attack me next. But instead of attacking me, she just smiled brightly and said, “Oh! Hello Abbie dear! Is there something I can help you with?” Sometimes I wonder if she has split personalities...

“Um... Hi Miss Piggy... I sort of... Er... ‘Overheard’ you, um, ‘talking’ to Scooter about your dog, Foo-Foo...”

“Oh yes! Well you see, I have a big number that I need to rehearse, and I need someone to keep an eye on my precious baby, Foo-Foo! But this twerp won’t help!” The last sentence came out as a growl, her glaring swords at Scooter, who was rubbing his head leaning against the wall.

Backing up a step because of the tone in her voice, I say, “Well, maybe I could help.”

“You would do that?” She practically squealed.

“... Er... Yes?”

“Oh, thank you!” She hugged me so tightly I couldn’t breathe. Sometimes Miss Piggy can be tough even when she doesn’t mean to be. After finally letting go of me; leaving me gasping for breath, she scooped up Foo-Foo in her arms. “Be good, Foo-Foo.

Foo-Foo barked her response.

“That’s my girl! Au revoir!”

She exited the room, giving Scooter a good kick on the way out.

“She really must have split personalities... Either that or mood swings...” I muttered to myself.

“Bonjour! I’m back!”

Foo-Foo eagerly barked and leapt out of my arms and rushed over to her master.

“Oh my precious baby! Were you taken good care of?”

Foo-Foo barked, panting and wagging her tail.

“Good! Thank you Abbie dear!”

I smiled. “No problem Miss Piggy.”

Scooter then-very carefully I might add-peeked his head into the room and told me, “Hey, Abigail? The chief has something to say to us.”

“I’ll be right there Scooter.”

Scooter went to leave but Miss Piggy called out, “Scooter dear!”

He and I both visibly winced. “Y-Yes Miss Piggy?” He gulped, unsure what Miss Piggy had up her sleeve. But thankfully and surprisingly, she apologized!

“Moi is so sorry about earlier! Moi just wanted to make sure that my precious darling was taken care of, so I guess moi overreacted.”

Obviously taken aback but at the same time pleasantly surprised, he only said, “Oh! Well... Apology accepted!”

Piggy smiled her bright dazzling smile that she used on camera almost all of the time.

“Well, see you later Miss Piggy.” I waved to her as I left the room with Scooter.

“Take care of yourself, Abbie dear! You too Scooter!” She called to us as we left.

“Thank you!” We both shouted back in unison.

“Ah, there you two are.” Kermit said once he noticed us coming downstairs.

“Hey Boss!” Scooter greeted. “What did you need us for?”

“Well, I know this is going to seem like a bolt out of the blue, but is it okay if we discuss certain... ‘matters’ over coffee at the Mahna Mahna?”

The Mahna Mahna was our favourite restaurant. It was a modest little place named after The Muppet Show’s most famous act in their very first show ever. It was a very tidy place, yet you could tell it was a couple of decades old. The carpets are worn, the place is dusty in some places, and the chandelier is an exact replica of the one from At The Dance. There’s a jukebox in one corner, which plays one of my favourite songs, “Music, Music, Music a.k.a Put Another Nickel In”. Ironically, you have to put in a nickel into the jukebox to get the music starting.

They have ten tables, with four chairs each. If you go upstairs, there’s even a mini hotel. It’s called “The Happiness Hotel” after the famous hotel in the second theatrical film the Muppets made, “The Great Muppet Caper”. The song “The Happiness Hotel” even plays on hidden speakers in there. The song can really get stuck in your head... Pops even manages the hotel (though he spends most of his time sleeping) when he’s not being a doorman for The Muppet Studios. The only difference between the real life hotel and the movie hotel is that the real life version is much neater than in the movie!

“Sure Boss! What for?” Scooter asked.

“Well... Let’s just say that we need to talk.”

Seeing the worried looks on our faces, he quickly assures us, “Don’t worry! It’s not about anything bad!”

We both breathed a sigh of relief.

“Got it, Kermit. We’ll meet you... when?” I asked.

“At 8.” He responded.

“Alright.”

Like I usually did, I arrived ten minutes early. I ordered a small cup of coffee and went to sit at a table. I looked around at the tiny restaurant, smiling. I see the stage where the Electric Mayhem and other bands like The Gogolala Jubilee Jugband and The Country Trio sometimes perform, I smell the wonderful scents of cooking food and brewing coffee, I taste the bitter yet sweet taste of the coffee in my mug, I feel the smooth texture of the mug that’s made out of the Muppet River’s finest clay and I hear the gentle notes of a piano floating into my ears.

Still smiling, I turn around and see the Muppet Studios resident pianist and a good friend of mine, Rowlf playing the piano.

I quietly walk up to him and listen to his playing. Either he doesn’t know I’m here or is just ignoring me for the moment for he keeps playing. The song he’s playing is very beautiful. It has an upbeat yet at the same time lullaby like tune to it, making it sound almost “springy”.

Once he’s finished he turns to me and smiles. “Well, Ms. Abbie, what’d you think?”

“I thought it was very beautiful!”

He grinned. “Thanks! I call it ‘The Spring Tune’!”

“Fitting name.”

He nodded. “I agree.”

The door to the restaurant suddenly opened. I looked up, expecting to see Kermit and Scooter arrive but instead I saw Floyd, Animal, Statler and Waldorf enter.

I glanced at my watch. Still have five minutes to go.

“Go on Abigail.” Rowlf said, reading my thoughts. “Go and chat with them.”

“Thank you!”

Giving him a quick hug, I approach the four and, as usual, hear Statler and Waldorf arguing. This time it was about which meat was better. Despite how often and how much the two argue, they’re inseparable and like brothers. But being hecklers, they show their affection through insults.

“Listen to me, you old fool! Steak is far better than ham!”

“Call me an old fool again, and I’ll give you the evil eye like I did last time!”

“NO! PLEASE! ANYTHING BUT THAT!”

Snickering to myself, I slowly creep up behind them and give them a good yet gentle shove while I shout, “GREETINGS, GENTLEMEN!”

All four of them jump out of their skin and whirled around. “ABBIE!” Animal shouted once he got over the shock and attempted to tackle me again, but this time, Floyd was prepared and had a good grip on Animal’s chain.

“ABBIE! ABBIE! ABBIE!”

Remembering what Floyd said about Animal getting bad habits I quickly say, “No, Animal! Down!”

He quickly calms down and sits on the floor. “Sorr-ee.”

“That’s alright.” I smile and give him a big hug and kiss on the nose. I also gave Floyd a hug.

“Now, as for your argument, ya two old coots,” I meant it as a joke. I enjoy teasing them about their age. “I find ham much tastier than steak!”

“HA!”

“Oh shut up...”

I smirked. “So what are you guys doing here?”

“I’m getting a steak.”

“HAM! Definitely ham! I’m never going to eat steak again as long as I live! I tasted it once and it was AWFUL!”

“I’m going to get a simple salad.”

“CHICKEN! CHICKEN!”

“I’m waiting for Scooter and Kermit. We’re supposed to talk about something, but Scooter and I don’t know what.”

“Hm... Interesting.” Waldorf said.

After they had ordered their food, they sat down at a table. I pulled up a chair so I could talk to them. Well, talk to Floyd, Statler and Waldorf, that is. Animal was too busy pigging out (no offense) on his chicken.

“So, Waldorf. How’s Astoria been doing?” I asked.

“Fine. She’s been awful cranky though...”

“Is she going through meto-pause?” I smirked.

“Oh, I hope not!”

I laughed. “Alright Statler, same question.”

“Well, what Waldorf said. Affrina’s been good but also cranky.”

“Hm. Well Floyd, how are you and Janice holding up?”

“Great! My home girl is doing fine!”

“FINE! FINE!”

We talked like that for a couple more minutes, with Animal throwing his two cents in occasionally, when Scooter and Kermit arrived.

“Well, gentlemen, it was nice talking to you but I need to go.”

“Bye!”

“Farewell, Ms. Abbie.”

“See you later.”

“Bye-Bye.”

I waved to them as I walked over to where Scooter and Kermit were.

“Greetings, you two! Shall we get started?”

After they ordered their coffee, we sat down at my table I was originally sitting at and began our discussion, while I drank my now cold coffee.

“So, Boss. What did you want to talk to us about?”

After Kermit glanced around, he motioned for us to lean in and said something that I’m sure surprised Scooter as much as me! “I want to remodel the Muppet Studios.”

“What?” Scooter and I both said, while somehow managing to keep our voices low.

Kermit just casually leaned back in his chair, sipping his coffee. “You heard me. I want to make it bigger for everyone. The number of performers and acts is increasing so I want to add more dressing rooms, make the stage bigger and add more seats to the audience. I also want to increase the size of the orchestra pit and the kitchen.

We continued staring at him before I said, “Well... That is a good idea, but what does everyone else think?”

“I haven’t told them yet.”

Again, we gawked at him. “B-But why not?” I stammered.

He sighed. “I want it to be a surprise. Also, I don’t want too many finding out because it might cause a huge ruckus.”

I nodded. “Yeah, that is understandable, I guess.”

“Yeah chief... But with what you just told us about there not being enough space, I’d say that I agree with you! We should remodel the theatre!”

“I think so too!”

He breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you!”

We smiled. “No problem, Kermit!”

Well, that went well! I thought to myself as I unlocked the door into my apartment. After Kermit has told us about his plans for the theatre, we had stayed and chatted about some other things until 9:00, when we finally decided that we should go home.

After fixing myself a quick cup of chocolate milk and drinking it, I changed into my PJ’s and crawled into bed. But just as I closed my eyes and was about to fall asleep, the phone rang. Groaning, I got out of bed and looked at the Caller ID. It was Kermit. I picked it up, believing that he had forgotten to tell me and Scooter something at the Mahna Mahna.

“Hey Kermit.”

“Oh Abigail! Thank goodness you picked up! I thought you might have been asleep!”

Hearing the tone in his voice I knew something had happened. “Kermit? Where are you? Is everything alright?”

Just as I said that, I suddenly heard sirens outside my window and people rushing out of their apartments and going outside.

“Abigail, it’s terrible! The Muppet International Bank has just been robbed!”

Abb Green

Reaction score
AN- Second chapter! This is where the actually “mystery” starts.

Disclaimer: I don’t own the Muppets. Anything original, however, is mine.

-The Next Great Muppet Caper!-

~Chapter II: The Investigation Starts~

It was chaos. There were police cars everywhere, their sirens wailing and their lights flashing. People and Muppets were all over the place-some still in their PJ’s! Police tape was taped across the entrance to the bank and police had formed a circle around the bank for crowd control.

Needless to say, it was the most excitement to happen since Will Smith was the guest star on The Muppet Show!

After I had gotten the phone call from Kermit, I had immediately thrown a coat and jeans on, rushed into my car and had driven to the bank. The traffic was killer! Almost everyone in the city had heard the news and was going to the bank!

“There you are!”

Turning towards the voice, I see Kermit rushing towards me.

“Awful isn’t it?”

I nodded.

Despite being a city, Muppet York City has only had a couple of minor crimes in its short ten year lifespan. I can only imagine how riled up the city will now get!

“Who do you think could have done this?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Beats me. The police are interrogating the bank manager about that right now.”

He pointed towards the entrance of the bank. I looked in that direction and saw one of my friends and the second in command of the police line, Marcus, interrogating the bank manager. I think the manager’s name was John...

“ABBIE!”

Hearing the familiar voice, I turn around and see Animal and Floyd heading towards me.

“ABBIE!”

“Yes, hi Animal!” I smile. Animal always could put me in a good mood.

“Crazy, ain’t it?” Floyd said.

I nod. A part of me was still in shock. I can’t believe that the bank had just been robbed! I highly doubt other people didn’t feel like this.

“Me scared...” Animal said.

“Don’t worry, Animal.” I told him, rubbing his head. “I am too...”

Looking around, I suddenly catch a glimpse of Statler with Affrina and Waldorf with Astoria. After politely excusing myself, I walked over to them. They caught a glimpse of me and waved.

“Greetings, you four. How are you holding up?”

“Fine but scared.” Statler responded.

“Same here.” Waldorf said next.

“I can’t believe this is actually happening!” Affrina spoke up.

“Don’t worry, dear. Neither can I...” Statler said.

We just stood there for a couple of minutes, simply staring at the chaos when a thought suddenly struck me. At first, I brushed it off, saying that it was too crazy. But the thought was persistent and soon I found myself saying to Statler and Waldorf and their wives, “I think I should help out!”

All four of them turned to me, incredulous. “Abbie, are you sure that’s a good idea?” Waldorf asked.

I sighed. “I know that it sounds crazy, but I can’t help but think that I should.”

“Well... I don’t have a problem with it, but are you sure the chief won’t?” Statler said next.

I sighed again. He was right, the chief of police, Mark, was not going to be an easy cookie to crack! He, for some reason, hated humans and I was no exception. If I was going to convince him, I was going to need a lot of backup!

“Can you guys come with me?”

They all looked taken aback, so before one of them could ask why, I explained. “If I’m going to convince Mark to let me help out, I need someone to back me up. And you guys, Animal, Floyd and Kermit are the perfect candidates!”

They all looked at each other, uncertain before Statler boldly stepped forward. “Well, if it means helping you and very well meaning that the jerk who did this is caught, then I’m for it.”

“If Statler is for it, then I am too!” Waldorf also stepped forward.

“If Waldorf is for it so am I!” Astoria then stepped forward.

“So am I!” Affrina stepped forward as well.

I smiled. “Thanks guys. This means a lot to me.”

We went and managed to convince Animal, Floyd and Kermit to help also. With everyone I needed, I took a deep breath, stood up taller and walked up to the chief, who was by the bank’s entrance.

As expected, as soon as he caught a glimpse of me, he scowled.

“Abigail Green. I should’ve known! What do you think you’re doing here?”

Not taking the bait for an argument, I simply say, “Sir, there’s something that I want you to hear.”

He scoffed. “What makes you think that I want to listen to you?”

I simply smiled. “It should help make this an easier case to solve.”

Kermit stepped forward. “Sir, I think that you should listen to her. She has a great idea and we shouldn’t put it to waste.”

“Yeah. You should listen to her.” Statler put in next.

“Yes.”

“Listen to her.”

“I agree.”

“Listen to her man!”

“LISTEN! LISTEN!”

I smiled even more. “Well, Mark. Looks like you’re outnumbered.”

He sighed, officially annoyed. “What is it, Abbie?”

Trying not to gulp, I threw all doubts to the wind and said, “I want to help solve this case.”

And I’m pretty sure that if he had been drinking something, he’d have begun choking!

“What?”

Trying not to wince, as I knew that this was not going to go over well, I repeat, “I wish to help solve this case!”

He glared one of his infamous glares at me, causing me to suppress a shudder. “It isn’t enough that you had to help find this city and get all of these stupid humans to move in, but now you have to interfere with a strictly police only case?”

Not backing down, I reply, “Yes.”

His glare intensified, but I still refused to give him the satisfaction of seeing me shudder. “Absolutely not! You’d only mess up the investigation!” He turned to leave.

“Now, just a minute!” Statler suddenly said before I could. Mark stopped and turned around, probably because Statler was a Muppet. “I don’t think it’s very fair that you aren’t even giving Abbie a chance to explain her plan! Just because she’s human doesn’t mean she should be ignored!”

The rest of them either nodded, said “I agree.” or “Yeah!”

Mark sighed. “I honestly cannot see why you’re standing up for a human...”

“Because she’s our friend!” Statler passionately exclaimed.

I was genuinely touched when the rest of them also began protesting, saying that I should be allowed to explain my plan. I sure have found some great friends living in this city...

“I think that you should let her help out, sir.” Marcus suddenly joined the conversation.

I could tell that Mark was suppressing a growl as he said, “Marcus, go back to your duty!”

“I will, sir.” Marcus calmly replied. He always was fearless when it came to confronting Mark... “Just as soon as I point out that Abigail would be an invaluable helper on this case.”

He then proceeded to begin explaining about my experience with cop shows and my dream to become a detective. I really loved my friends... They were great!

“So, in my opinion, sir, I think that we should let Abbie help out!”

Mark looked like he was deep in thought now. I could tell he was beginning to break from being outnumbered. “I still don’t know...”

Another idea struck me. “How about we compromise?”

That caught Mark’s attention. “A compromise?”

“Yes. How about if I help out, we leave each other alone for over a month after the case is solved?”

Mark was really deep in thought now. After a very tense minute he finally sighed and said, “You start tomorrow... But you had better stick to your compromise!”

I couldn’t stop the incredibly happy smile that split across my face as I listened to the cheers from my friends as Mark walked away. “Don’t worry. I will!”

I rushed into my house, happily calling out to my father as I rushed up to him, holding my report card in front of me.

“Daddy! Daddy! Guess what? Guess what?”

“Slow down there, junior!” He chuckled, placing his strong hands on my shoulders. He waited until I finally stopped bouncing before he said, “Now, what’s all of the excitement about?”

I tried to stay calm but I couldn’t help but burst out, “I GOT AN 88% ON MY REPORT CARD FOR SCIENCE!”

“Way to go, junior!” He exclaimed, high fiving me. “On this rate, you’ll be a detective in no time!”

I smiled brightly before hugging him as he whispered into my ear, “I’m very proud of you...”

Once again, I woke up. There weren’t any tears in my eyes but I felt immense sadness.

I sighed.

Why was I having these memories of times when I was younger? Did it have something to do with the robbery?

At that last thought, I suddenly remembered the bank robbery and the fact that I was allowed to help out. I looked at the clock. It read 7:30.

I’d better head over to the bank, then...

-To Be Continued-

AN- Review but NO FLAMES!

Abb Green

Reaction score
AN- Third one! :smile:

Disclaimer: I don’t own the Muppets. Anything original, however, is mine.

-The Next Great Muppet Caper!-

~Chapter III: Evidence~

“There you are!” Mark snapped as soon as he saw me. “Where have you been?”

I had to bite my lip to keep from snapping back at him. “Sorry, sir. I woke up at 7:30 like I usually do. I didn’t really know what time to meet you here.”

Annoyed, he sighed. “Well, from now on, meet me here at six!”

I almost blurted out, “SIX? But that’s WAY too early!” but I managed to keep my mouth shut and nod.

“Good! Now get to work!”

Again I nodded before hurrying off in the direction of the bank. A police officer gave me some tools and gloves as I went into the bank.

At first glance, you’d almost think that nothing was wrong. Besides the fact that the bank had nobody in it besides a couple of police officers, everything was in order. There was no broken glass, no tire tracks, nothing! In fact, I only saw three evidence markers on the floor! The first one was a black clothes thread, most likely from the masks the culprits wore. The second one was a white powder. I suspected it was the sleeping powder that was used to knock out the manager. The third one was a black liquid. It looked like ink.

Quickly writing down the three pieces of evidence in a notebook I had brought along, I proceeded to ask an officer what rooms they hadn’t checked out yet. He said that the manager’s office was still untouched. I thanked him and began to walk towards the manager’s office when a voice suddenly called out, “Hey, Abigail!”

I turned around and saw Marcus heading towards me.

“Hey, Marcus!” I called back.

He had caught up to me and was now smiling. “How are you doing on this fine yet tense day?”

I smiled. “Fine. Just started so I haven’t found anything yet. I was actually on my way to the manager’s office to check things out there. Want to join me?”

His smile grew wider. “Sure!”

We both walked to the manager’s office, chatting about the case on the way. “Marcus, who do you think could’ve done this?”

He shrugged. “We’re still trying to figure that out. According to the manager, he was working on some paperwork when he was suddenly grabbed from behind and knocked out.”

“What else did he say?”

“That when he woke up, he immediately went to check the safes, and noticed that almost every safe was empty.”

“What about the ones that weren’t empty?”

“The odd thing is that there are two untouched safes. We’re trying to determine who they belong to.”

“That’s good. Was there anything else missing?”

He sighed, suddenly very sad. “You know all of that gold that we were going to use to build a statue of the Jim and Richard in front of Muppet York High?”

I gasped. “They didn’t...”

He nodded. “Unfortunately, they did. Every last gold bar is gone!” He clenched his hand into a fist.

I put my hand on his shoulder. “Now, now. We’ll find them!”

He nodded, standing up straighter. “You’re right! We must keep faith!”

I smiled. “That’s more like it! Now, let’s go check out the manager’s office.”

“Right.”

We walked into the manager’s office and were immediately taken aback at how... neat everything was. I mean seriously! The bookshelves were filled with books neatly lined up, the desk had paperwork in different categories all neatly piled up, and the desk also had an ink well with a quill inside it.

“Dang...” I heard Marcus mutter.

“Tell me about it!” I replied. “Well, we better get to work.”

We both took opposite sides of the room, Marcus the left and me the right. We’d been working for a little over ten minutes, dusting for fingerprints, carefully moving stuff around and generally searching for evidence when Marcus suddenly said, “Abigail! Come here! I found something!”

I hurried over to where he was and saw that he was pointing out the window. I looked and a huge grin split across my face the moment I saw the shoeprints.

Marcus was also grinning. “It looks like we’ve found our first piece of evidence!”

My grin grew wider.

After taking cast and pictures of the footprints and sending them to be analyzed at the forensics lab, Marcus and I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon “celebrating” at McDonald’s. After the “celebration” was over, we spent the rest of the day trying to find evidence without any luck. But I wasn’t discouraged. Just like in the movies, books and shows, it’ll take many searches before all of the evidence or enough evidence to catch the culprit is found.

Lying in bed, I sigh happily. As far as days go, mine was pretty good! We found our first piece of evidence and hopefully, will find more tomorrow!

My eyelids were starting to get heavy though, so I closed my eyes and fell asleep...

“C’mon, sweetie! It’s time to go to Grandma’s and Grandpa’s!”

At those words, I shot down the stairs, the book I was reading still in my hands.

“We’re going to Grandma’s?” I excitedly exclaimed.

“That’s right, sweetheart.” She replied, smiling at my enthusiasm.

“YAY!” I practically screamed as I rushed past her and into the car.

She laughed. “Be careful, now! Don’t trip!”

Thankfully, I didn’t trip and managed to make it into the car safely. After impatiently waiting for three minutes for my parents to come, we were off! As I always did, I enjoyed looking out the window at all of the scenery going by at different speeds. When we finally arrived, like always, I was the first person in the building. I greeted my grandparents with much enthusiasm, hugging and kissing them.

“Goodness, Abbie! Missed us?” Grandpa remarked.

“Now, now, Jeremy. It’s perfectly natural that she’d miss us.”

“Sorry dear.”

“Can we go see the horsies?” I asked, practically jumping up and down.

“Sure thing sweetie...”

I woke up as my dream ended there. I sighed. Why was I having all of these dreams about my past...? This time it was about my grandparents. I wonder... How are they doing? I really should give them a call...

A loud crash suddenly sounded, making me jump about three feet in the air.

What the heck was THAT?

I quickly got out of bed, only to stop, realizing that I’m unarmed. What if the crash was a burglar? The thought scared me, so I quickly grabbed a baseball bat that I bought at a pawn shop and slowly edged across my room. Once I reached my door, I took a deep breath and slowly opened the door. Another crash sounded, this time sounding like someone falling down. I heard someone cursing then a grunt. I almost gasped. Someone was in my apartment! My heart pounding against my chest, I carefully followed the rustling I was hearing. I followed it until I stopped in front of a closed door. With a start, I realized that the burglar was in the only empty room in my apartment. Why would he be there...?

The burglar must have noticed that I was here, because he suddenly cursed loudly and I heard him grab something. Suddenly the door I was just about to open opened and someone came rushing out! Screaming, I swung wildly. I felt it hit something and I heard him grunt. Before I could recover though, the figure scampered off. I caught a brief glimpse of him before he vanished out the window...

“What?” The chief screeched at me. I was at the police station and had just finished explaining to the chief what had happened only an hour ago. But why was he angry?

“Um... Someone broke into my house.”

“I heard you!” He screeched again, now fuming. He sighed, attempting to calm himself down. “Do you have any idea what was in that room?”

“No...”

“Evidence!” He practically screamed. I was still confused... before it suddenly hit me...

Oh...

“That’s right!” He shouted, noticing my sudden slumped posture as I realized why he was so upset. “Miss Abbie, you told the forensic scientists that after they were done examining the evidence that they were to put the evidence in an empty room in your apartment, correct?” He said in a forcefully calm voice.

“...Yes sir...”

“And you said that the burglar was in that empty room the evidence was in, correct?”

Shamefully, I nodded.

“Do you know what that means?”

I said nothing.

“I said... do you know what that means?”

Wincing, I say, “It means the only evidence we have so far is now gone...”

“Exactly!” Now in a mostly calm voice, he said, “Now I’m giving you a second chance, Abbie. Now you had better not screw this up! If you do, I am kicking you off of this case! Am I understood?”

“...Yes sir...”

“Now get out of here! And don’t come back in here without something worth my time!”

I nodded before leaving, feeling like I was just hit by a train...

“Abigail!”

I looked up at the sound of Marcus’ voice.

“Hey, Marcus...”

“Are you alright?” He asked once he had caught up to me.

I couldn’t help but smile at Marcus’ concern. “I’m fine Marcus... But the evidence isn’t...”

He sighed before hugging me. “It’s my own fault. I’m the one who suggested that we put the evidence in your apartment.”

“Thanks Marcus, though I don’t think that Mark is going to change his mind about whose fault it is...”

He shrugged. “Oh well... We are just going to have to be more careful from now on!”

I smiled and nodded.

“Well... Can I escort you home?”

My smile grew wider. “I would very much appreciate that!”

-To Be Continued-

AN- Review but NO FLAMES!