Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I just noticed something: If Gary and Walter have a copy of Muppets From Space on DVD, then Bobo must have been with the Muppets to make it, but he's with Tex Richman.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I just noticed something: If Gary and Walter have a copy of Muppets From Space on DVD, then Bobo must have been with the Muppets to make it, but he's with Tex Richman.
The idea of the movie is that it takes place after Letters to Santa, which was the last major Muppet project. And since then, the Muppets went they're separate ways.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
No one here is saying it's perfect, SpaceMuppet old bean. It's just really, really good - probably even great, in my opinion. The best part is that it opens the door for new Muppet projects, so for that, pretty much everyone is grateful.

Here's one thing that did bother me: The Songs. (WHAT?!) Yes. Not that they weren't well written and well sung/danced, but it's that... they weren't Muppet songs.

Bear with me. (Pun.)

The Muppet Movie had "Rainbow Connection," "I'm Going to Go Back There Some Day." "Never Before, Never Again," and "Can You Picture That." (I'm leaving out "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along, for the reason mentioned below.)

The thing with Muppet songs is that they could be sung by anyone, anywhere. They don't need to be within the confines of one plot or one character. And they're powerful. They tackle all kinds of issues, beyond the realms of Muppets and Puppets. Or, they're fun, and work as stand-alone tracks (Picture That, Never Before.) In fact, I can't think of an occasion where the Muppets refer to themselves as Muppets in songs (I could be wrong.)

The new songs in THE MUPPETS don't work that way. Sure, "Pictures in My Head" is emotional, but no one but Kermit the Frog can sing it for it to still make sense. And it only touches Muppet fans. "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday," "Rainbow Connection," "When the River Meets the Sea," and so on, are all amazing because they speak to human conditions and simple philosophy. (Not to be all cheesy - I'm not saying they're super deep, but they have depth.) The songs in THE MUPPETS are very one layered.

That's my only major complaint.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
"Life's a Happy Song" wasn't.

And songs are primarily used to convey the emotion of the scene, so them being on context of the movie works. I don't see how they can do "Happiness Hotel" again without referencing GMC.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
"Life's a Happy Song" wasn't.

And songs are primarily used to convey the emotion of the scene, so them being on context of the movie works. I don't see how they can do "Happiness Hotel" again without referencing GMC.
Life's A Happy Song was. Walter's section, Mary's section. Only works within the context of the film.

Notice I didn't bring up "Happiness Hotel." Or anything in GMC. Those are all film-exclusive. It's also my least favorite of the original three films (which means I still loved it.)

Nasubionna

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, or if this is the wrong thread to post this in!!

It would be the COOLEST THING EVER if they went back and scripted and filmed the entire Muppet Telethon. There were so many things hinted at that we didn't get to see in the movie... it would basically be like a massive Muppet Show episode, and actually, if they did film it, it could be seen either as a standalone special, or as a pilot episode to see if the show could work again these days (I am firmly in the camp of desiring a new Muppet Show!)

Just think about all we saw implied... off the top of my head, I can think of: performances by Marvin Suggs, Lew Zealand, and possibly a Miss Piggy/Pepe duet (unless they cancelled because she joined Kermit for Rainbow Connection?), something Scooter introduces that says the word "hero" (I couldn't make out what he said exactly...), a Muppet Labs sketch, Pigs in Space, the Swedish Chef... and maybe extended performances from Fozzie, Gonzo, the barbershop quartet and Camilla and friends. The list goes on and on!

I loved the whole movie, really, but the Muppet Telethon portions definitely struck the deepest chord with me, and made me hungry for more. I doubt it will ever happen, but man, I wish it would!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And of course, Walter watches The Muppet Show, which Uncle Deadley was a part of. And he was in the final part of the opening, which Walter was seen watching on TV (he also watches a clip from the Julie Andrews episode, an episode Uncle Deadley made a brief appearance in).

I noticed that in the end credits, there's a credit for "Muppet Workshop". But Puppet Heap builds them now, and the New York workshop is now called the Creature Shop. So does Puppet Heap/Disney have a "Muppet Workshop" division for Muppet productions?

marionnette

Reaction score
I live in France and the movie didn't come out in theaters here and won't... Only the dvd version in may.
I had to wait march 20th to see it through iTunes USA. I bought it right away.
I love this movie and watched it 3 times already, one with my 4 years old daughter.
We are muppets fans!
I hope Disney will come out a french dvd with all the extras.
Great, great movie!

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I've watched it twice today whilst working - still not getting tired of it! Hurry up and make the sequel already, before my Mac's DVD drive packs in :wink: